TIL: The Clamp clamps your stats more the higher your CR is

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ryazan, Apr 21, 2023.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Nice find, and as far as it's been pitched with 'piercing', the opposite of what we've been led to believe. Some small progress would seem applicable, and flat stats would also seem ok (although kind of 'meh'), but backwards 'progression' of any number, seems completely wrong.
    • Like x 4
  2. Joybird Committed Player

This is really messed up, and the exact opposite of what should be happening. There should simply be a cap on stats in each instance, and if you go over it, you then stay at the cap. It shouldn't matter where the stats come from or what your CR is. This flaw disincentivizes progression, which should never happen in an MMO.
    • Like x 5
  3. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Well, it isn't completely backwards if you manage to get enough SP to max your stat again, or use the respec machine. But for characters that aren't getting feats but are increasing their CR, it is either backwards or stalling.
    • Like x 4
  4. KidKretz Committed Player

which is sad because that is one thing they said they would do, which gave me an ounce of hope for the clamp :(
    • Like x 2
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

But even if you are re-spec'ing, why should you need to? The older content should not be changing, so your 'piercing' from maxed SOBA SP in a stat (340) should pierce as hard whether the new cap is 355 or not. The additional +15 SP should just add to that. Again, that's what all the advocates of the piercing have been saying anyway.

Personally I don't generally respec, and just fill my stats from with the new SP I'll get and won't cap that new SP number for maybe a few weeks. Guess I'll take the omni hit, if I run it. I hope Doomsday goes easy on me.;)
    • Like x 4
  6. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

This is the exact way I feel now, not only about EEG content but also moving forward with EG content. I am both disillusioned and demoralized where it comes to progressing in this game.
    • Like x 5
  7. Lost Connection Active Player

But it isn't how the clamp system works, based on the intent to make the other points of progression through advancing stats outside of CR mattering more in clamped content. They wanted those other tools of advancement to matter more, which is what they did. Whether intended or not by the OP, this thread proves that point. Accepted or not, it is what it is.
  8. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

This statement can be said for the entirety of stat clamping. lol.
    • Like x 3
  9. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Sorry, but no. Again....a flat experience would be acceptable, but if the clamp mainly applies to your CR, with SP/Artis/buffs/etc being able to 'pierce' through at some percentage...even if it's a trickle, you should never find yourself down any stats from your previous visit to the same content UNLESS you respec or drop one of those piercing factors. IF the only change is your CR went up 1 because you put new rings on or whatever, stats should stay the same, as the CR and it's applicable stats are what is supposed to be primarily being clamped.

If you enter Funhouse with 0 SP applied, 0 buffs, no augs artis or augments, but have 396 gear on, then put on the 2 rings and hit 397, your stats should be the same. Not sure if that's been tested, but if Ryzan's example is an indicator, you'd drop a point or 2. Maybe I'll test it later exactly as that....or someone else can.

And I'm not debating that it's HOW it's working....just not how it's supposed to work.
    • Like x 4
  10. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

It would be beyond nice if someone on the Programming / Development team could comment on this topic and explain their analysis of what Ryazan has discovered.
    • Like x 3
  11. Lost Connection Active Player

That is your perogative to feel that way but it is not what the Devs said they intended CR clamping to be; which again is shown by OP's findings. They said the reason for the clamp is to make those other sources matter more than just CR relevancy, which is what was executed. All of these posts in opposition isn't going to change that until a viable argument can be made as to why just CR should be more relevant than those other sources outside of "hindrance of progression" which is really not the case, considering the +CR diferential that never previously existed in that content at level and the allowance of stats obtained through other sources to be strong enough to pierce the clamp when the max benefit from those sources are applied, and not just some of them.
  12. BumblingB I got better.

Keep in mind rarity of the gear, elite stat bonuses, and augment levels make a difference due to piercing. In normal content, piercing isn't 100%, but there will be a few calculated differences with the clamp. I actually don't see a big issue with this. It wont drastically drop a stat, you are looking at 7 might that will probably make up by the end of this DLC's life when you get more back end stats.

Now if it was like what happened with stats with the bug that dropped everyone down significant amount to the point they had to give us bonus stats in the adaptive augments, then yes, I agree.

Wait, was I supposed to make a snarky reply about anti clampers here? Or post a silly gif about Chicken Little the Sky is Falling or something?
    • Like x 3
  13. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Not sure the devs ever said you would get weaker the more CR you add...assuming nothing else changes. Quite the opposite really. Piercing from other sources shouldn't matter if all we are talking about is a CR change. And no...a few points of might or prec or power or whatever shouldn't matter too much, but less IS less.

EDIT: Again, as I have not tested this myself, I'm only going off what was shown in the OP's post. If I do my own testing, and the stats stayed flat with ONLY a +1 CR change, I'd be satisfied it's working as expected.
    • Like x 4
  14. Ryazan Dedicated Player

This stuff isn't as easy to test, because if you made any mistakes or missed anything, you cannot go back, CR is a permanent stat change. Remembering that CR =/= Equipped CR.

The example shown in the video was with CR398 and 340 points spec'd into might. No consumable buffs, no face mods, no statistical recalibration from augments, maxed origin might augments, and league buff on.

I'm now looking forward to see how much might I end up with when I have 355sp in might, and maxed CR to compare with what was in the video.
    • Like x 2
  15. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Yes you were.

Thread Post. D-
  16. Lost Connection Active Player

All it takes is going back and looking through Mepps' posts concerning the stat clamp where he said that the goal was to make those other sources matter more, which would indicate a drop in CR relevancy.
  17. BumblingB I got better.

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  18. Ryazan Dedicated Player

The problem here is that little 7 accumulates with each CR we again and becomes a bigger number. Actually, the more I look into it, the worse it seems.

I have it marked here that when SoBA launched, I had CR378 and 340SP put into might, and the augments that granted 2% bonus stats each in every location, I had 5219 might in tier 1 content.

Right now, with CR399 and 355SP put into might, using the same augments with the bonus, I'm ending up with 5150 might in tier 1 content. I have 15 more SP than before and am losing stats just because of the CR number.

That's why I'm wanting to further test things.

And the only rarity of gear that matters in EEG is omnipotence.
    • Like x 2
  19. BumblingB I got better.

Unfortunately, rarity matters between green, blue, purple, and vendor. It works with the power consumption, but I'll be honest, it may not affect the clamp. I'm not 100% there, it does affect unclamped a lot. Green gear will cause a CR power cost increase over the previous gold gear.

Also, again, by the end of the DLC, that 7 might will probably change. I would recommend keeping track and see if it changes when you have maxed your vendor gear, augments, etc. Most likely, it will either give you back the 7 might or will give more than 7 might. Piercing is probably the culprit here.
    • Like x 1
  20. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

The goal and reality appear to be 2 different things. What Ryazan has demonstrated is there a consequential deviation from the intent of the goal and the reality of the stat clamp. The two do not align, and it is the duty of those who maintain the game to verify.
    • Like x 1