This has been brewing in my head for sometime, but...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kaegrin, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Kaegrin Well-Known Player

...the Doomsday encounter in the Smallville Alert makes next to zero sense when you think about it. If a rampaging Doomsday was loose and needed to be quickly contained, wouldn't that actually rank above Brainiac's attacks, the Gotham Gang War, the War of Light, and pretty much everything else in-game (Trigon's rising is about on par actually, but that's it)?

For the life of me, I can't imagine that Superman for one second wouldn't drop whatever he was doing to take care of Doomsday. Is that what we get? No... We get Green Arrow, Black Canary, Steel, and Red Tornado... I'm sorry, what?!? According to Martian Manhunter, he's sending us everyone the Justice League can spare. If that's all the League can spare, that's pretty well pathetic! Green Arrow and Black Canary are both street-level at best (Green Arrow doesn't even have any powers) and even Steel and Red Tornado get one-shot by Doomsday! I know Steel at least has had some experience with Doomsday, but that experience should have taught him that he absolutely doesn't belong in this fight! Martian Manhunter by himself is better than all four combined! Couldn't he have gotten one (or all four) of them to watch the Monitor Womb for a few seconds so he could help stop the unrelenting planet-crushing fury that's just been unleashed? No... We get four people who couldn't possibly hope to even scratch Doomsday if their lives depended on it, which is exactly the case because FREAKING DOOMSDAY WAS JUST RELEASED! Hell, Aquaman armed with a tank of goldfish would be a better help than the four heroes we end up getting (relax, I know Aquaman is a heavy-hitter).

The villain version makes way more sense than the hero version, but even then it has issues. Solomon Grundy and Bizarro make PERFECT sense. They wrestle with Superman and leave him out of breath on a regular basis so those are great choices. Deathstroke, while not able to physically match Doomsday toe-to-toe, still has more than enough tactical prowess and resourcefulness and just enough superhuman ability to be a threat to anyone on the Justice League roster (especially those four that the heroes get in this alert) on any given day, so even he is still a good pick for a field leader and a distraction for the heavy hitters. Killer Frost however... what?!? A little ice isn't going to do diddly-squat to Doomsday, not even slow him down! Still, this line-up is waaaaay better than the heroes and the Society seems to actually have their priorities right and know exactly what they were doing (minus Killer Frost).

Where am I going with this? A request that is long overdue and probably never going to happen due to "old content" nature of this Alert. I can understand wanting to refrain from using the mentors and wanting to use some others. On the hero side, consider changing the hero line-up to something more worthy of a response to Doomsday. If you want to keep Steel in there as the sort of tech-like hero answer to Deathstroke, fine, but some good examples to choose from for the other might be Captain Marvel (Shazam if you go by New 52), Supergirl, Superboy, Power Girl, Captain Atom, Flash, Hawkman, and Martian Manhunter or Aquaman as I already mentioned above. That's just in-game heroes. There's plenty more from the comics to send in that would make sense as well, such as Apollo, Majestic, or Icon. For the villains, I would say just replace Killer Frost with either Black Adam, Cyborg Superman, Cheetah, or Zoom (Wonder Woman has said he hits harder than Superman).

Okay... so there it is. Thoughts?
    • Like x 4
  2. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

It may have just been a case of "which voice actors do we have available" rather than any logic being applied to it. Of course I could be wrong.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said, but most people running this alert now, are doing it to either farm styles or for nostalgic reasons. To change it in any way would either result in a "who cares?" or a "no, don't change it! I love it as it is!".

The time and money it would take to change this would be better spent on producing a new alert. Perhaps a "Free to Play" Tier 5 Alert featuring Doomsday as an alert to progress free-to-play/Premiums-without-DLC players to the next tier. Something I'd definitely rather see, personally.

I would say that the presentation of the content in recent DLCs has gotten much better. There's more emphasis on storytelling and using characters appropriately. Something which wasn't a strength of the game (in certain areas) when the game first arrived.

Conclusion, leave Smallville as it is but produce something new featuring Doomsday.
    • Like x 1
  3. BumblingB I got better.

He was just sleepy and haven't had his morning coffee. :O

I loved the Smallville alert, but tbh, they need to do more with Doomsday. Especially since they like Operations so much right now and the initial idea behind the Operations was used for the original encounter for Doomsday in the pre beta videos.
    • Like x 3
  4. Too Many Toons Dedicated Player

Supes says something early on about he could be infected if he went there...so guessing team members chosen..couldn't.
  5. spack2k Steadfast Player

i think what Superman meant was : just send anyone whos not that important and can be spared...

on the other hand superman gets hes *** ***** in legends by steel.
  6. Twilight Man New Player

[IMG]

Superman from the Watchtower while you take on Doomsday^
    • Like x 5
  7. TMadness Well-Known Player

Great idea, me likes it

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  8. UltraElite Dedicated Player

Doomsday is not OP, in 1v1 he is, but against a Good Team, hes not a problem
    doomsday is literally a one-hit wonder

Once he becomes Sentient hes even more of a joke

Even Still When Superman Died at the Hands of Doomsday, its more cause the Justice League was so CRAPPY,

i mean superman had booster gold, ice, fire, and the blue beetle (ted kord not even superpowered version of blue beetle)

only reason superman died was cause WW, Batman, Flash, GL, manhunter were not on the Justice League team back then
  9. BLK Well-Known Player

Is it fair to say out of all the big heavy hitter villains Doomsday and joker more so doomsday havent really gotten much dlc love?
  10. Dynagirl Committed Player

Really? That's what got to you? Not the reason why League/Society sends you to Smallville in first place was that your exobytes made you immune to the doomsday effects yet they turn you into doomsday halfway into it for absolutely no reason when you turn off the machines. At least the people who they send made sense. All the heavy hitters were dealing with the Brainiac invasion at the moment and thats all they could spare.
    • Like x 1
  11. Zezimar Committed Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  12. Nekron 99 Loyal Player

The story is that Lex has captured Doomsday and is using him to create other Doomsday-like clones by siphoning Doomsday's DNA from him via these DNA Canisters and then mutating Smallville citizens. When you finally encounter him with a team of 8 people (your group and the four Justice Leaguemates) are fighting a weakened version of him from him being suspended and repeatedly put through a process to remove his DNA. You take the DNA canister around to the generators? and then they weaken him again.

You aren't fighting 100% powered Doomsday.
    • Like x 3
  13. LL New Player

Hey now that was the best JL in my opinion. I would much rather read about booster, Ted kord, fire, and ice, and don't forget Guy.
  14. NexGenX New Player

That wraps this up. Since he's not 100%, the four leaguers that show up to assist actually have a fighting chance and some worth in the battle. The situation isn't planetary as the Brainiac Invasion is so its a localized threat. Meaning us as the 4-man team plus the 4 JL members are easily enough man-power to stop a weakened Doomsday. Very good point Nekron
    • Like x 1
  15. UltraElite Dedicated Player

i try to forget that punching bag version of Guy everytime i go to bed, while he was funny, he wasnt very intimidating

i much rather prefer the Geoff Johns version
  16. LonelyGiants New Player

Doomsday is a professional jobber now. He's lucky he didn't get beaten off-screen by a Pengbot.
  17. DarkSyde79 Loyal Player

Smallville is the conclusion to a leveling mission that was removed before launch for unknown reasons featuring Superman vs. Lex Luthor over a rampaging Doomsday in Metropolis.

Obviously Lex won this encounter and thus Doomsday was moved to Smallville in the possession of LexCorp.

Subsequently, due to LexCorp’s involvement there are multiple stashes of Kryptonite in Smallville thus the reason Superman isn’t present in the Smallville alert.
  18. DivineSire Dedicated Player

How about a recurring doomsday bounty that increases in difficulty every time you beat him?? Once every tier maybe??
  19. Kaegrin Well-Known Player

Um... You DO realize that the Martian Manhunter WAS there in that version of the Justice League right? Bloodwynd was Martian Manhunter in disguise. Also, Maxima was no pushover either. The Justice League was hardly "crappy".

Also, Guy was more than a GL. He was using a Qwardian ring with none of the weaknesses and rules a green ring had at the time.
  20. UltraElite Dedicated Player

Bloodwynd was there technically, in the gem

but saying Manhunter is there is a gross overstatment, for all purposes the powers and his abilities was not that of the OP Martian Manhunter we know

[IMG]

but in my defense, Bloodwynd was taken out very fast and basically didnt fight doomsday

Manhunter might have been there "in body" but not in "spirit" (meaning he didnt utilize his full strength, basically a cheerleader for superman)

and because he was in disguise he didnt fully utilize his martian powers

also i know Guy was wearing a Qwardian ring, which is why i said no GL was helping Superman