This game still needs a Physical powerset

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Whisper, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sechuran Fox Dedicated Player

Thanks! Sounds pretty good actually.
  2. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

I see it working easily as a tank power type, with the other half of the power tree being relegated to bleed heavy damage oriented moves. The defender tree would be the tank half, and destroyer tree would be the bleeder tree. Defender would feature abilities that trigger the dazed PI, and destroyers standard dot damage abilities would amplify when used on dazed enemies, inflicting heavy wounding (more accurate shots on a dazed enemy). What's more, the defender tree could be precision friendly, featuring power combos while the destroyer tree would favor might based damage. You'd be able to play it heavy precision like, going with defender combos and its buffs, or PI heavy by using both trees, or might heavy by sticking to the destroyer tree.

The earth power isn't really precision based, and this type of tank power would open up that option. I'd go with 'berserker' as the power's name.
  3. Hero of Justice New Player

In my opinion, a physical powerset would either be overpowered due to the strength/invulnerability of such characters (After all, people like Superman and Wonder Woman are some of the most powerful in the DCU) or it would feel way too weak in order to keep in balance with the other powers. How does a physical hero get thrown around by some of the other powers?
  4. QueueHatman New Player

Step into T5 with that and tell me how it works.

We have Kryptonian builds using Heat Vision and Ice Breath - They don't work for content but they're there. This is another reason to want a proper powerset. No one should have to deliberately screw themselves over to play what they want to play.
    • Like x 2
  5. West Coaster New Player

Exactly.

What he didn't mention was that CoH also had several different damage types. Invulnerability's most notable aspect was you could hard cap Smashing/Lethal resistances on a tanker (90%), but had much lower resistances to other damage types, and none to Psionic which was more and more common in the late game. Against some enemy groups like Carnival of Shadows or Rikti you had to be careful because of the Psionic damage, but against groups like Malta you could laugh off most attacks unless there was a Sapper around.

Case in point, my main had 90% Resistances to Smashing and Lethal, about 34% to Energy and Negative Energy 41% to Fire and Cold and 44% to Toxic. Only 3% for Psionic due to a a rare IO. On top of this she had defenses at 45% (Softcap) to everything but Psionic (17%). To be fair I but in very heavy IO (Gear, more or less) investments into her, lots and lots of time and I was still adding things (Cardiac Core to reduce Endurance (Power) costs, increase her resistances further, Ion Core Judgement for a big Electrical AoE, Reactive Core Interface for more damage and debuffing targets, Longbow Radial Core for summonable pets, Rebirth Core Destiny for a PBAoE Heal). She was pretty much geared for Endgame content and Task Forces (Raids, more or less).

While I had a few other characters at max level, none quite received the same attention and time investment. That's part of the reason why I've tried so hard to recreate that character. She could go into a room, by herself, in an 8 man Task Force aggro almost everything and clear it out, alone. Sure, as a Tanker her damage wasn't high enough to do it quickly, but she'd do it.

While not as powerful, the Champions version is much the same; she can go into a fight and throw down with several foes at ones and survive. Only the more powerful endgame content really gives her pause now.

DCUO? I remade her several times, with different power sets, but I still can't make her how I want her to be. She doesn't have the powerset that fits her, which is the start of the problem, and I know my Fire Tank who's in her 20s now has trouble handling damage. Maybe I need to adjust my play-style or gear, but I keep thinking she needs a boost.

My most enjoyable charter so far, is to be honest, a Shield/Gadget character. Which is odd; I always favored tanks in MMOs and always had trouble using Trollers...
    • Like x 2
  6. BerzerkerUnit New Player

So you want a game that's at least 5x faster in all respects to now force us to calculate defenses to 8 or more different attack types?

You want some content to be impossible to tank with a particular powerset because the foes or boss are psychic or poison based?

You want to recreate the CoH experience (I get it, I loved the game too) so go fund city of titans and get in the betas, don't stand here in the Nirvana/Soundgarden concert and complain that you want to hear Elvis and Bing Crosby and the bands should play Elvis songs because you bought a ticket.

Also, my superman build for earth tanking and DPS was 2 flight powers, 2 earth powers, heat vision and frost breath with empowered channeling tac mod. Didn't build that way till I respecced to tank, functioned fine at t3-t4 in on level gear, doubt it would work in t5 but that's more a comment on the format of the raids than the powers.
    • Like x 1
  7. Redscreen5 New Player

It wouldn't make any sense imo. I suppose the most relevant to what people are describing is something along the lines of bane in legends.
  8. QueueHatman New Player

People are describing the myriad of ways it could be done and still feel like a fresh powerset. They also gave examples on how other superhero games did it because they tend to be what the playerbase is most familiar with.
  9. West Coaster New Player

I'd like that, but that's not DCUO. Nor would I expect it to become CoH.

I'm just expressing that, quite frankly, DCUO does a poor job of letting you make your character how you want it.

Sides, combat tends to be faster paced in DCUO.
  10. BerzerkerUnit New Player

City of Titans is a thing, I expect it to be a lot like CoH.

That aside, the game is still in its Infancy, give it another year or two and if they still don't have "radioactive" powers I'll agree it "does a poor job" but until then I'll maintain it just needs room to grow. Note: it will never be all things to all people.
  11. QueueHatman New Player

Considering the flying brick is something that's kind of iconic to the genre of superheroes, it feels weird that this isn't an archetype that's available in DCUO to be honest. Earth comes closest but at the same time, having to dip into Geokinesis ruins the feel.

With the way the game is structured, even the other suggestions of making Weapon-based power trees wouldn't fit and be perhaps even harder to do, seeing as each weapon has visual effects based on the power you picked. The powers would likely have the same.
  12. BerzerkerUnit New Player

I think I could swallow colored flashes of light in conjunction with weapon powers, its a step in the right direction at least.
  13. QueueHatman New Player

Not the problem - It's that you'd have to do them with every powerset (11 up to now, 12 with the next DLC, and then retroactively fit the future powersets as well!) as opposed of just making one powerset and not worrying about this.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if there'd be a Might/Mastery set added, it'd end up being a healing set under Leadership.
  14. Darkstahr69 New Player

I've been waiting for a Physical Powerset since launch in 2011. I actually stopped playing DCUO and went back to COH (and later Champions) because of this issue. I know some people don't get it - but there are people who want a viable melee set that isn't elemental based. I still fail to see why everyone says it's so difficult. You can already play Bane, Superman, or Wonder Woman in Legends PvP. So why can't we have similar powers in PvE? A physical set isn't about melee attacks, it's about being able to survive in melee. Most games balance the tank roles survivability by gimping the damage. There are so many games with viable melee tank roles - I still don't get why we can't have such a set in a game that's about "Super Heros". The "Flying Brick" or "Strong guy" is a very iconic staple in most comic books.
    • Like x 1
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The more I see comments like this, the more I'm convinced that some are just too hung up on the concept of a physical power set being pure (as in free of special effects). At the risk of sounding snarky about it, all I can say is that sometimes you just have to adjust your concept to fit what the game offers.

And the game does offer just about everything needed for a physical based/themed character. As much as I hate repeating myself on this, the only thing my physical-themed character in DCUO couldn't do in comparison to my physical-based character in CO is have Super Jumping as a movement ability. DCUO just did it differently than CO, that's all.
  16. QueueHatman New Player

It's not about what you can't do (barring having a powerset dedicated to it), but rather what you are forced to do in order to also be functional as a character. At least, for me that's the problem. I went with Earth and almost full Seismic because that's, right now, the best way to portray that (obviously, I nabbed some of the Geokinesis goodies that you can't go without - like Reinforce).

Also, anyone thinking that a physical powerset would be without VFX is out of their minds. It'd need to have VFX just for the weapon streaks (although right now Earth's VFX seems to not work well with Staff) alone, and to portray the powers being used.
  17. SuperiorMouse New Player

in a licensed DCComics game, we should NOT have to adjust our concepts to work around the lack of an iconic power which is a staple of the comic book genre. we should only have to adjust our concepts if it's a less popular, less iconic power only. for example Lanterns -- we've got 2 colours already ... if you want to be any other colour than that you should have to adjust your concept rather than see the addition of any other colours (at least before the addition of more popular powers).

bottom line: if we can have [at least] 4 different colour Lantern powersets (there will be a healer Lantern powerset down the road also) in this game, we can have at least the most popular power in all of comics history.
    • Like x 1
  18. WonderCleric New Player

We do. Combine some Iconic powers with Earth and Brawling, and voila.
  19. SuperiorMouse New Player

that is incorrect information.

this has been discussed at length over the years by many players who are more versed in the game's mechanics than either of us. the summary of the discussion is this:

as a dps. movement and iconic powers require too much power and do too little damage to be effective powers for the DPS role loadout. additionally they are restricted to 40-45% damage buffs. there are no 50%s or 60%s. as a dps you cannot complete content at level using these unless you're being carried by your group.

as a tank, earth powers require aftershocks to reach maximum damage absorption. if you do not take upheaval or jackhammer on your loadout you cannot effectively tank content at level. jackhammer is okay for many less discerning players who don't care if Superman or WonderWoman would never pound the ground like a monkey in the comics. if you're okay with that, great... but if you're not okay with that, it's immersion breaking for you. and this is why players won't take upheaval either -- SM or WW would throw tornados at a target and putting that power on loadout is immersion breaking for many players. from a functional perspective earth tanking becomes "challenging" if you only have a single power like Jackhammer on your loadout to ensure that you're at max damage absorption all the time -- assuming you're willing to accept that power at all.

and then there is all of the other earth powers which also have unwanted earth related visual FX.

thank you for your input, but it is in error.
  20. fairyofdiscord Well-Known Player

i would not call it the most popular power jusg overused in comics.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.