The Valeyard's guide to not getting scammed with the current system (New players)

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by The Valeyard, Oct 4, 2014.

1. The Valeyard New Player

I'm well aware that sometimes it's unavoidable, but most often people are scammed because they're acting like they don't have sense. Don't be desperate. Don't appear desperate. This shows that you're a person that can be taken advantage of. It happens to teenage girls all the time. You're always making fun of them, yet some of you get on here and act just like them. I never confirm a trade until the other person does first, depending on the value of the item. There's always someone who's willing to press trade first.

How to not appear desperate:
    Don't shout into the chat box anything like"TRADING BITS FOR AURA PLEASE I HAVE NONE AND I WANT SOME". First of all, aura trades probably attract the most scammers(it shows you're both new and broke), especially depending on how rare the aura is. If it's Gold or White, and someone actually wants to trade it, you're probably about to get scammed.

Don't just walk up to someone and start a trade. While I am tempted to call these people "Dumbasses", I will refrain from doing so in the spirit of professionalism. I cannot tell you how many new players walk up to me because they see my Nimbus aura, and think I just have auras lying around in my inventory because of it. Most people are more than likely going to just cancel immediately. If they don't, and you accept your entered offer in, you're going to get scammed. This one's on you, because you can't just expect him/her to know what you want. Even if you shouted in the chat box, he/she never agreed to trading those items. Honestly, you're just asking for it here.

NEVER ask to trade for exclusive auras. Don't even waste your time. This shows you're broke. People buy extra of these auras to sell. While they're tactically waiting for the aura to increase in value, some players use this to fish for exobytes. Unless it's from a friend or trusted league mate, it's a scam. I wouldn't even trade an exclusive for an exclusive (even though the value of Plasmic auras is pretty low now). Most people spent real money for the sole purpose of acquiring that aura. If you try to trade something like bits or a collection, and you press accept first, I've got some bad news for you.

If you want aura, don't trade with players that don't have aura. This most likely means they don't have it. You won't get scammed, unless you press accept before you see the item on their side, but they'll still attempt. Some players choose not to wear it, but it's rare and the people that aren't wearing it usually have multiple outfits that they shuffle through. It's not as big of a risk as doing the the things above, but I personally avoided them when I was starting out.

Don't accept trades until you SEE the item you want on their side. Seriously. This should be a given, but I can't tell you how many league mates would do this when I was starting out (Left that league quick). Not doing this will prevent a scamming altogether for number 2. It's mostly younger players that this happens to, because they don't seem to grasp the concept of scamming in this game. There's nothing to explain here, if you press accept in a random trade before you see the item you want, I've got some bad news for you.