The next 10 years

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dark Soldier, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Proxystar #Perception

At what age did you start playing this game?
    • Like x 2
  2. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Wow are you the police or something???

Jk

Uhhh I started playing with my older cousin in like October of 2012 so I was 11 (11 and a half to be precise). Got into ORBIT and SmileB4Death right after Origin Crisis I think which I believe came out in 2013, so I was 12. Then watched them until 2017 I would say. I reached my PvP prime at the age of 15 or 16... /cry.
    • Like x 1
  3. Proxystar #Perception

LOL, nah I was just curious since you said you grew up watching them :D

But Yes, I'm the forum police :p
    • Like x 2
  4. BumblingB I got better.

You are the forum grammar police. :p

I never watched any orbit or smile. Smile rubbed me the wrong way and orbit was not bad but I didn't watch any streaming at all. Aside from the dev streams. I really do miss FNL. I really wish they'd bring it back. It was about the players and interactions, showcasing leagues and sprinkling spoilers. It brought so much energy. We kind of get that with the charity streams, but that is limited and more dev focused.
    • Like x 4
  5. Proxystar #Perception

Eye Has know idez wut eww tlaking baout
    • Like x 1
  6. BumblingB I got better.

I was going to make a joke, but it was in bad taste.

So here's an ewe.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  7. Proxystar #Perception

I think I know where ewe were likely going to go there...
    • Like x 1
  8. SekretVillain Loyal Player

We need the same dev team from then too, otherwise the interaction isnt going to be fake or half***ed. At least with spytle you knew you can joke around / ball bust, and he would give it back. Devs now arent like that, they take **** to personally.

But it is what it is right?
    • Like x 1
  9. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Good ol’ spytle
  10. Dragon Power Well-Known Player

On the open world zone topic, it's why I was hard pressed to recommend more then two of the new open world zones (Atlantis and upcoming 31st Century) because all the other new open world zones have been comparable and/or had re-used assets, and the lack of manpower/budget always being quoted as the reason for them not being able to do bigger/better new zones. OG Metropolis/Gotham still in most cases has better attention to detail then most of the new zones I've seen.

They have added a lot to the game, sure. But I was just pointing out that the stuff that I was quoting was not as big of a deal as the poster was making it out to be. They don't add anything worth a damn to the game and the game and IP deserves more then just cosmetic community appeal updates.

What's really disingenuous is you framing my messaging as "lofty" when the game and IP deserve more then what we are getting, and can. There's games that are way older that do more. There really is no excuse, especially when they are expressing that they want to support the game for at least another 10 years. Another 10 years? For what? Let's see what they can do.

They can do better but I don't currently see evidence that they want to and have also dug themselves into a deep hole thanks to Daybreak, but it's not impossible to come out of. They just throw the same tired old rhetoric that they don't have the manpower or budget. Nowadays there's things called community funding. You don't have to build teams, projects, or budgets off traditional means. I don't see them even trying that, it's become the norm for small companies and studios, even outside of the game industry. They have instead settled into their norm of small content update cycles with a focus on RNG grind, cosmetics, and fan service to actual storylines past and present in DC's comic books (this last one is great). Currently, Daybreak to me comes across as very conservative and not willing to take any risks, they still harp off Everquest, I'm tired of hearing about Planetside and it's woes, and I haven't seen anything ambitious for DCUO. Sony didn't think this was just piddly old IP/game when they made and released it, they had bigger budget yes, but they also had bigger ambition then Daybreak to go along with that. They treated the game and the IP as a big thing at the time. It wasn't some mobile game like Daybreak/DI seems to treat it as with the small cycle updates, loot box time capsules and mobile pay-to-win designs. I'll mention two brief examples again because I really despise them - We are essentially grinding for the same iconic mark gear twice, the regular version and then the cosmetically focused "Enhanced" shiny version (it has higher stats, sure, but it's still cosmetically focused, you want it because it's slightly shinier style then the other set) to pad the light content update and encourage replay badges, and then there's the pay-to-win artifact leveling system, and I don't have to say anything about the latter because everyone knows what's up with it.

We will see what happens in the next ten years and the upcoming "DCUO10" address, and whether their studio rebranding was actually worth it or will bring anything ambitious to the table. I doubt it will be anything big unless they have been doing something in secret as a surprise. I really hope I'm wrong about it because I want a better DCUO but I haven't seen the evidence to currently suggest otherwise.
  11. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Ok

Edit: Daybreak is the same company as SoE. Daybreak Austin then turned into DI.

Yes. Your expectations are too lofty imo for a 10 year old game that ISNT owned by WB or DC. Its licensed. Huge difference. Its just a check coming in for WB/DC and its parent company for the licensing. If it stays successful they get to keep using the licenses. If not. No more DC. Therefore. Its successful enough to keep the game up. But your expectation that just because it has DC in the title that DC or WB itself would want to come swooping in to bring the game to your lofty heights just isnt a thing. Hasn't been a thing. And won't be a thing. Its been 10 years. Dimensional Ink will do what they can to make the game successful. Its up to them.

So again. Two choices.
    • Like x 2
  12. Apollonia Dedicated Player

For the most part, I'd say your take is correct. That is how licensing properties like this works. However, I think you're missing the obvious; it's a franchise so DB/DI is obligated to respond to WB/DC as per their contract, to maintain their license like any franchise. So, the obvious solution to most of the game's problems is probably to take the same approach that Battle Front players took with EA. Disney intervened and EA backtracked of course.
    • Like x 1
  13. Dragon Power Well-Known Player

I'm not going to subscribe to any passive and apathetic messaging/attitude. It's an old game, therefore, let's just phone it in to renew the license why don't we? You don't go around expressing wanting another 10+ years and harping that up with an upcoming address and then don't do anything significant or ambitious with it. That would be a failure on Jack Emmert's part, and the rest of DI and his/their messaging. It would fall flat and is not a good look. You can stop repeating your "two choices" rhetoric, I've already been expressing that I want to see something good and different for the next 10 years, which means I'm not going anywhere, and I hope DCUO doesn't either.
  14. Dragon Power Well-Known Player

Remember Marvel Heroes? That would be another example in how Disney intervened and took license away/shut it down. The game's community didn't get updates that were promised/scheduled and also there were allegations of inappropriate social and supposedly financial behavior also. So, yes, higher companies stepping in does happen and not all that uncommon, and it's not exclusive to the gaming industry and a company could feel/reason that their license holder is tarnishing their IP/brand if given enough evidence.
    • Like x 1
  15. Apollonia Dedicated Player

In that case I suspect the misconduct allegations were the reason for the swift intervention, but I'm sure the lack of adherence to the players' needs didn't help fwiw.
  16. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Right. But DC isn't doing that. So it goes to my point. While you might not see DC as being as successful as your expectations are of it. DC does.
    • Like x 1
  17. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

No one said they were phoning it in. It was said by me I believe they're doing the best they can given the circumstances and how successful the game is. And will continue to try to make the game successful. If more cash flow comes in and they can hire more people and do more things for the game and expand, I'm sure they will. But. There's a disconnect here. Your expectation of the game just exceeds what in reality its probably capable of. You can want it. That's fine. We all want DC to be great. And Its successful enough in DCs eyes to still be allowed to operate. But you shouldn't be surprised when dcuo doesn't reach player numbers like WoW because of things you are or arent expecting to happen.

Anyways. I dont have much else to say about it. Take care.
    • Like x 2
  18. BumblingB I got better.

For the most part, this is all laid out during the licensing. The company has a right to pull it's IP if the licensing company does something that can deface or devalue the license.

As for what happened with the Marvel game, I would also assume that they jumped on pulling the plug because they wanted to develop something else. Usually when that happens, the licensing company gets compensated accordingly. I've seen this happen before in other licensed product, OverPower TCG comes to mind.

In the case of DCUO and Daybreak, the devs have stated that for the most part, DC says yes to their content additions. But they also have to contend with platform companies too.
  19. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

I didnt miss this. I just dont think this would ever happen. The games been around a long time. There isnt buzz around this game now like there was for Battlefront in which fan backlash caused changes. This game is past that point. If DC had any serious issues with how the game is handled theyd step in obviously. But thats not really what the OP sounds like they're saying. They want the game to reach new heights and that its unacceptable for things they mentioned not to happen. The issue with battlefront were its loot boxes and it had a huge audience so EA were forced to do something. This game makes money for sure. But i dont think its on the scale that the OP needs it to be for his expectations of it to be met.

Battlefront changes were due to a negative aspect of the game that was producing bad press. This is just wanting the game to reach greater heights. DC isnt going to just come in and make it so providing funding because some forum people say so. DC doesnt own the game. Thats up to DI to bring in the profits. DC sees the game as successful so it gets to keep operating.

Now if you want to talk about time capsules and compare it to EAs situation. Sure. But even when time capsules were introduced there was hell raised on the forums and not much changed.
    • Like x 1
  20. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Just wanted to point out that just because Mepps said he'll consider it doesn't mean they will do it. It's been three years since a new power was revealed. Question is because it's going to be ten years and how things are because of the pandemic, do they have what it takes to make DCUO Great Again?
    • Like x 1