The new shading on the lettering within the UI is unnecessary and hard on the eyes.

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Knarlydude, May 29, 2019.

1. Knarlydude Loyal Player

The new shading on the lettering within the UI is unnecessary and hard on the eyes. Please remove.

Thank you :)
    • Like x 5
  2. Knarlydude Loyal Player

The letters are not big enough for shading.

I will add that I am on a 17" screen right now and the shading makes the letters harder to see.

My question to you is....

Did you try this on the Nintendo switch's ( 6.2' ) screen?
    I cannot imagine trying to read the mail or anything else with a screen that small with the shading the way it is.
  3. TheLastSuperman Well-Known Player

I agree, either remove or change the drop-shadow color from black #000000 to a light grey #212121 or 414141... 717171 etc they can tinker with it until it's aesthetically pleasing to DER EYES!
    • Like x 1
  4. RealTegan Dedicated Player

I noticed it last night and thought my screen was wigging out. It was very unpleasant.
    • Like x 1
  5. Carp Developer

Which UI specifically are you talking about. And can you post a screenshot? Just so I know exactly what we're talking about.

Thanks!
    • Like x 1
  6. CraccaGeneral Active Player

The only place I have noticed it so far is on in the mail system. Might be other places as well?
  7. RealTegan Dedicated Player

I've only seen it in mail. I seriously thought something was wrong with my screen. Parts of the text in the list are pretty much unreadable.
    • Like x 3
  8. Carp Developer

OK, I'll take a look. Thanks!
    • Like x 1
  9. Hraesvelg Always Right

I don't see it as a huge deal, but it's slightly different.

Earlier version (from the wiki):
    [IMG]

Current version:
    [IMG]

Edit: dxdiag available upon request, if it will be useful
  10. Knarlydude Loyal Player

The mail was the worst. TY for looking.
  11. Knarlydude Loyal Player

That's what I thought at first. Then I started looking at other things like the broker and vendors.
    The broker is kinda funky too ( the left side ) but not nearly as bad as the mail.
  12. myandria Item Storage

Hmm...

The difference is quite noticeable. It seems the font in the list as well as the body of the inbox has changed AND the shading has been added to it. I think that is why it is distracting.
  13. Carp Developer

OK, something definitely happened, and that nice subtle drop shadow filter got changed to a pretty severe stroke filter. You're right, at some smaller window sizes it was causing some readability issues.

For a start, I've removed the text filter altogether from the inbox list menu items and set the "subject" text color to be the same as the "sender" text color. Let's see how that improves things and go from there. I'm just checking the new code in now, but I'm not quite sure when this will roll out to live. I'll see what I can do, but I appreciate your patience.

Thanks again for the report.
    • Like x 8
  14. Aerith Rose Committed Player

I agree that as is currently on live ( at least for PC) the mail box text looks over bolder or shadowed.
  15. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

TY for the fix. It looks a lot better now.

I'm not sure what happened but it looked like I was trying to read with someones reading glasses and I have at least 20/15 vision the last time that I checked.