The "new" PVP grind.

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Miss Martiam, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Miss Martiam New Player

So from playing on the test server and basically playing it out in my head about how long it will take to get the new Huntress/Harley sets, I've come to understand the "elimination" of the grind basically just mimics the PVE grind.

You get a daily lockout ( so you can't spam legends to get that T3 PVP, just like you are locked from T3 alerts daily), but once you hit T3 in PVE and now PVP it seems like it will take forever unless you are using replays out of the wazoo. ( and mods dont seem to affect PVP cr so far)

And no more skipping PVP tiers, so I feel like it's really going to be "who wants to buy the most replays to be "ontop "(at least for a while till a new season starts....)

Even from the ( scaling rewards with pvp cr : like PVE) it seems as if PVP is some ephemeral - never ending race if new seasons are introduced.

:rolleyes: I don't even know what I'm saying . tell me I'm crazy
  2. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

It sure is grindy alright, but unlike the PvE gear and the old PvP gear progression, I feel like getting to the iconic gear seems like a waste of marks instead. Sure you get better stats for getting the gear, but by how much? There's actually just a very small difference between the Logistic Officer set and the Iconic set, so much that even if two people of the same level of skill were to fight with a different levels of gear, they would still be evenly matched. The only reason I'd get the Huntress and Harley Quinn set now is for bragging rights.
    • Like x 1
  3. Penryn The Gadgeteer

You're just seeing the situation for what it really is, a treadmill that heavily encourages the use of replay badges.

Has anyone put together a list of what the Mark of Valor rewards will be for each CR tier? That will give a better idea of how much grinding will be involved. Even when I was carrying around several of the PvP 250 MoV convenience items, it took a decent amount of time to get up to the T4 gear level.

It seems like getting back to the top will be a tedious and expensive process with the benefits only lasting as long as the current season.
    • Like x 4
  4. Madholm New Player

You aren't doing anything to improve your play time by spending replay badges in pvp. Since (in theory) your opponents will be evenly skilled fights, why should you bother burning replays to gear up faster? Your opponent should be evenly matched against you regardless of gear level. If anything it discourages replay badges since they have little impact on speeding progress; afaik they don't reset your weekly map reward. I stand corrected; it seems the reward box will probably be reset. At any rate I think it still stands that blowing replays is a dumb idea unless you have the patience of a 2 year old.
    • Like x 1
  5. Penryn The Gadgeteer

In theory, this is true. In reality, I regularly get matched against good opponents from dedicated PvP leagues - the people mostly like to spend replay badges to earn gear faster to get an edge. The current matching system doesn't take player gear into account, just your "skill" level. In a match against an evenly skilled opponent, gear stats will be one of the deciding factors.

It was mentioned in one of the dev threads that Replay Badges will reset all awards associated with an instance. That should include the weekly reward.

As for myself, I very rarely use replay badges. I find they take the fun out of the gaming experience. I doubt I would use any replay badges with the new PvP season system. Any advantage you gain by using them will be short-lived.
    • Like x 4
  6. Happy Cat Well-Known Player

The Grind is why I left this game, grinding so you can grind more, it limits your freedom of what you want to do as opposed to what you have to do to remain competitive. I play a new game where gear does have something to do with success in PVP but not by much.
    • Like x 2
  7. Madholm New Player

I don't mind the grind. You may see it as work, but I see it as progression. It's something to provide little bits of 'yay new gear' into something I'd be doing even if there were zero rewards. As I've said before, if you are pvping to grind through the gear ranks you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

Also with the gear changes on test the gear gap is very small compared to now. Each piece of gear are very small upgrades that accumulate over spending several thousand marks on your way to the new t4.
  8. Miss Martiam New Player

I don't mind the grind or taking it slow, what I don't mind is once I'm done (IF) the slate is wiped clean. It's like constantly cleaning a stain that comes back.
    • Like x 1
  9. Madholm New Player

So they should make one set top end set of pvp gear. Once you obtain it, you'll never have to worry about getting any new pvp gear ever because they won't make any more?

Sounds pretty dumb to me.
  10. Blight KOBRA Commander

I think the devs should just keep the setup they have now and just add the Huntress/Harley set, and discount the older sets, the same way they do with the PvE gear. Just scrap Marks of Strategy and replace them with Marks of Valor, and keep the marks of Tactics.
    • Like x 2
  11. Miss Martiam New Player

No they should just copy PVE cause they've already mimiced it basically, you're missing my point.

People worked hard to get their T4 Checkmate, and unlike PVE ( lower tiered sets become easily available), Checkmate becomes Useless, not 2nd best like T4 PVE is going to be to the Manta/Aquaman set.
  12. Yallander Loyal Player

I don't know if people are taking into consideration the increased mark gain as you increase in tiers. I don't think it will be bad and foresee more people in top lvl gear since lockouts are DAILY and not WEEKLY.
    • Like x 3
  13. Madholm New Player

PvP does not equal PvE.

In PvP there is no content with other players using old gear with stats to match yours; in PvE there is. PvE would be just as hard for new players if you simply removed all of the content between CR30 and CR74. If you don't have the common sense to understand why gear resets exist in competitive PvP then nobody here can help you.
    • Like x 1
  14. Yallander Loyal Player

They "did" copy PVE and it doesn't work. The "grind" to get T4 is a major reason these changes are underway. PVP is about DIRECT competition with other players. Gear DIRECTLY affects this equation. New or returning player having to grind for 4 months just to be semi competitive is a problem. They have streamlined this in order to continue increasing tiers/stats without impacting new blood.

The old MMO mindset is on its way out throughout the entire market because people have jobs, families, school, etc. that SHOULD be priorities--not getting gear in a game. What the devs have done with update 25 and Arranged Matchmaking is given the PVP community tools to actually become a "community" and not just a handful of leagues/players.
    • Like x 2
  15. Miss Martiam New Player

Again, What's the point playing Arenas and getting top-tier , just to have a seasonal reset for everyone.

People who WANT to play arenas in a competition like level are going to get tired of it past the 2nd season, after they've used their replays and see how futile it's going to be.

The increased rewards are just like PVE =__= , sure they will scale, but the gear price will just scale equally.
    • Like x 1
  16. Miss Martiam New Player

It's futile to gain gear every season and for it to reset. Mark my words people will tire out

Also not everyone plays on a competitive level, and if Arenas were ever to be truly "fair" they'd end up being Legends.

[IMG]

It should be common sense why in a game I wouldn't want to wipe a dirty window to have it dirty again seconds later. The "work" becomes redundant.
    • Like x 1
  17. Francesca Lima New Player

Replay badges have always been apart of PvP. What nice is that you actually have to work together now. Its not going to be let me just sit right here until it is over to get some points. I am loving it, I am tired of having to play harder then anyone else because they do not really give a ****. You have to play your role and learn your role and learn what works well. Each instance is very different and people do not even try to learn them.
  18. phen0mena Committed Player

No, they haven't.
    The 'glory' days, from launch until F2P, replay badges didn't even exist.

This was also the best time of PvP that this game will ever have, aside a few bugs.
    2 gear sets, and the only sodas that existed were extremes.
    No pets beyond a couple pre-order things etc.

Living in the past, or w/e you want to call it, sure. It was still the best time.

Cheers,
    • Like x 6
  19. Madholm New Player

Agreed. PvP at and after launch was the best excluding all of the bugs and speed hackers.
  20. Madholm New Player

Clearly you just want to keep your advantage in pvp. They aren't resetting pvp gear anymore frequently than they introduce new PvE gear. Just like PvE they are introducing gear to fill the gap, ie, just like all that blue CR50-64 gear that never existed before they released more content. PvP is just being brought up to par with PvE in terms of advancement.