Tell us why...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Barry Allen, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Barry Allen Well-Known Player

Nobody can deny the tank rol is missed, nobody want tank but nobody can say exactly why. So use this thread to tell us why you will never tank, dont make a infinite list just go to the point.

For example:

because im premium and the cost of repair exceeds the cash cap
    • Like x 1
  2. Brit Loyal Player

#1. Unlike other MMOs where I enjoy Tanking, a DCUO Tank doesn't feel tough. I'm getting knocked down and stunned by random trash mobs, and most of the time I feel like I have to resort to running away like a coward (kiting) just to survive the encounter. No part of getting beat up by random trash makes me feel like a superhero, let alone a super-tough Tank that is supposed to be on the front lines protecting other heroes.

#2. DCUO Tanks have the greatest amount of responsibility in any given fight. Tanks have to learn the raid mechanics first, while other people can stand back and watch and wait for somebody else to do stuff. Tanks have to know the tells for every attack from every boss from every raid. Tanking is frankly just a lot more responsibility than any other role, and if you miss one thing, the Tank is the one who then has to shoulder everybody else's finger pointing and blame.

#3. DCUO Tanks have the most obnoxious mechanics. The RPS stuff for farming blue immunities is just painful at times; you've got to watch for colored brackets on a screen that is exploding with forty-eight thousand particle effects from every player, every enemy, every pet, every orbital; it's like a discoteque. But if you miss one of those difficult-to-spot cues along the way, then you're knocked flat on your rear again and the whole raid starts to fall apart.

#4. DCUO combat collision engine is miserable for Tanks. So Tanks are forced to do tons of this obnoxious kiting, which I really do hate. But then because this is an MMO with a collision engine, when the other 7 people in your party all summon their 21 henchmen and 7 additional pets and all this random junk, you get boxed in and you can't move. So you die, because you're trapped, and then you get blamed for not being able to move through everybody else's wall of junk.

#5. DCUO character advancement is worse for Tanks. Healers need to finish those Restoration skill points. DPS get to combine both Power and Might into a single node, making theirs doubly easy. Tanks? Tanks need to do both Dominance AND Health, with Fire Tanks additionally needing to dip into Restoration. Tanks are the only role that takes 2-3x as many skill points to finish up as the others. Hogwash.

#6. Too much trash. There are just too many fights where the solution to increasing difficulty was just to spawn a bunch more trash. That trash, if it goes untaunted, will all swarm other players and kill them off, so the Tank has to pull it. But when the Tank has to pull things from different sides of the room, the stuff that is actually on the tank gets exposed to the pull as well, and the response is a control immunity. So now we can't juggle all the junk we already have on ourselves, and then we die, because our hearty and indestructible Tanks are made out of wet tissue paper when they are actually getting hit. Ever wonder why a generic Riddler Goon becomes immune to knockdown after the second hit, but our Universe Saving Superhero NEVER becomes immune to their CC? Why is every random thug tougher than our superheroes, when we're playing as a Tank who's whole thing is supposed to be that they are supernaturally tough?

If they want me to play a Tank again, they will need to merge the Dominance and Health skill point nodes, and give Tanks a control resistance that scales based on Dominance. Those two changes and I'll play one again. Until then, forget that noise.
    • Like x 23
  3. Barry Allen Well-Known Player

i can feel your rage bru... agree 100% but for the next dont write so much xD
  4. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

It was necessary for him to write that much because there's that much to factor in.
    • Like x 13
  5. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

summed up my reasons save for one Tank is the most thankless jobs in the game.....the community is toxic and I refuse to deal with it.
    • Like x 4
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Nobody asks.

But then, I don't do a whole lot of group activities so......:D
    • Like x 1
  7. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Year One - Started game as Fire DPS
    Year Five - Decided to make an alt and finally learn how to Fire Tank.
    Year Five - Continually kicked after invite because, "Oh, you're Fire?"
    Year Six - Stopped trying.
    • Like x 3
  8. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

Here is 1 area where I find it to be a community issue and really any adjustments made will simply dumb down the game even further.

Controllers are relegated as a power supply by us and because of that we now have uncontrollable trash or trolls simply focusing on 1 aspect of their role and not focusing on the rest with no accountability, it is expected that tanks job is to CC adds.

We caused this problem, it has always been easier to ignore role specific abilities such as CC for trolls and just sit in the back and throw power just like it was for the tank role to throw a power every few seconds to maintain agro with shields and pulls and do nothing but block.

Now that Tanks have been adjusted to do more than just block, now they can fight, what I see going on is their are those who despise the change and really just want to go back to turtling up, that refuse to accept that we all should fight and not just block our way to victory or just sit in the back and collect loot.

It is 1 of the reasons I find the game feeling lack lustered and not to appealing, especially for roles such as tanks.

Just too 1 diminision with little focus on being our best but doing the most least as possible with very little effort on our part as possible.
  9. Controller Devoted Player

Thanks for the thread.

I made a Tank Alt a few years ago (Named him Fyre Fall and his power was Atomic). Recently changed to Ice.

Found tanking interesting and a change from Controlling but got fearful of it with the "Kiting" change.

Never thought a tank's role was to fight or put out damage....that is JUST ME. Thought that "Battle Tanking" was perhaps the most craziest thing I'd ever heard of in this game.

Miss the "Turtling" Days.

Granted - even in the beginning I was just a DECENT tank - at best. But the changes have put my tanking role on hiatus for the time being.
    • Like x 2
  10. Tabby Belle Well-Known Player

Everything Brit said, plus the fact that there are too many DPS Thugz out there who talk too much poop if a Tank were to make a mistake or two.

Also, what Lord Exocution 365 said about it being a community issue... but to me, the issue is DPSers that don't know how to manage their power and just want to spam the high cost attacks. They then blame the Controllers, so now the Controllers must provide power over everything else. No more CCing, no more Debuffing, JUST MORE POWER!

Bad and competitive DPSers are the problem behind almost everything when it comes to community gameplay. Unfortunately, this game caters to them a lot. There are some DPSers that aren't bad and not competitive, and they don't mind doing mechanics and picking people up, and they manage their own power decently well, and they don't blame tanks and healers when they get themselves killed by rushing ahead or standing in death mechanics... but those are few in number compared to the standard fare of DPSers we have.
  11. AV Loyal Player

Because it's extremely boring, especially compared to tanking in other MMOs, and good DPS is harder to find than a good enough tank.
  12. Barry Allen Well-Known Player

well that about dps is true but not sure about the controller things, quantum for example is a beast in CC and power supply at same time. I can see what you are pointing, the tank role is going in to the same way that now is the controller but i think is pritty different cos trolls dont have all the problems that Brint said before, actually if a DPS must switch to troll have no problem in that, but if they must to tank to be invited in a group lol they ask for cash!! like a real job! or even if they see the tank died they prefer wipe than switch xD and that make me think in how bad its is there ppl preffer that than play as tank?
  13. Barry Allen Well-Known Player

What do you mean with boring? i mean you prefer spend 10h waiting in watchtower doing nothing than play as tank? waiting is more boring than play as tank bru.
  14. SekretVillain Loyal Player

When I 1st started back in 2011, I tried tanking a year after joining know why I didnt remain tank? Because my opinion of how tanking should be isn't how it was and definitely isn't how it is today.

When I think tank I think something that can withstand tons of damage up close not run away like a ***** which is how it is now. I should be able to face tank anything if I'm fully gear in purples or higher, and damn well should be able to solo old raids, bounties ect alone as tank. But that's not the case.
  15. Barry Allen Well-Known Player

Im fire and as tank i can do all solo untile the last episode, i dont want to do it solo cos take to long but i tried to do for example metal manbat in metal I and while i dont get oneshoted i can do it, and belive me im trash tank i think rage tanks will do it easyer
  16. SekretVillain Loyal Player

I have a fire character I shelved because of how tanking has gotten. Named official punchingbag, think he left off at cr150-165 range.
  17. SekretVillain Loyal Player

But I've been healer for 9 years on my main, waiting or hoping for new heal power soon, hoping for new tank and troll power too. Game could use fresh life breathed into it this year
  18. Kaminuse Active Player

Adds is one of the reasons, absolutely. Tanks have to deal with boss, subboss, counter attacks, calls, pulls and 58+ adds running around. A experienced tank can deal with that, but a newer player? It takes practice more than any other role.
  19. Brother Allen Loyal Player

These two things are actually why I thoroughly enjoy Tanking. I wish the counter mechanics were more important to Tanking that what they are. As in, if you were flawless with them you could face Tank where you normally could not. Kiting is definitely an annoying aspect of Tanking that I despise but do it because it is necessary. Of course for counter mechanics to be more important to Tanking the Developers would have to actually fix them for NPC's. They bug out quite often where the NPC will do an attack that is opposite of what they show they will do, there are still tap BB's encoded to NPC's (you know...the things they got rid of like 7 years ago :\), some bosses have buggy counter windows (like Ultimate Soldier's rifle mortar attack), and some bosses just simply can't be countered.
    • Like x 2
  20. Black Jaq Devoted Player

I remember back in Nexus that players never wanted to bring a second tank even though the first fight was so much easier with two. And it was impossible to counter all the different weapon attacks and farm immunity. So if you weren't Ice you weren't playing. Back then we didn't have armories so a tank could switch to DPS with a click. Same for PW. Other than FOS2, the early raids could be done pretty much with one tank.by the time memories rolled around, those raids were pretty expected to be solo tanked. It's basically the desire for more burn to get through content quicker, not easier.