Tanks...

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by PsianideUK, Aug 6, 2015.

1. PsianideUK Well-Known Player

Step 1. Reduce Fires restoration in PvP to a fair level based on one opponent.

Step 2. Implement a system where the number of opponents within the long range attack area increases restoration/dominance/toughness.

Thoughts?
  2. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

I'd much prefer they just gave tanks the ability to strip pot on a single target once per cycle using designated powers, make <50% SCs strip pot in a cone for up to three targets and make 50%< strip pot in a small AoE for up to 8 targets.

Simply boosting their resto/dom/toughness doesn't fix the problem of tanks being dead weight in 4s+ (they're not even that useful in 2s, even fire tanks).
  3. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

Unless things have changed drastically from when i used to pvp as a tank, a properly used tank loadout in 2v2 and up is quite useful, however the loadout cant be the same as in 1v1, and i recall usually ending 1st or second in kills. Thing is, most tanks enter thinking players will fight like NPC, thus they usually end being the big guy that wont kill a thing and is usually chasing after everyone else.
    But having shields, group control immunities, some heals, knocks and breakouts can aid a group greatly if properly used.

IMO tanks only get so much hate because they are an almost sure pain in 1v1 but odly enough, people rarely know how to use them outside of 1v1.
  4. loupblanc Dedicated Player

Fire tanks are a pain. However, don't see the need to reduce the heals for Fire.
  5. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

tank is completely useless in anything above a 1v1, and even then only a firetank is good in 1s simply because of the unbalanced healing it possesses.

A fire tank "could" be useful in node maps where you need to survive by yourself while the team go to other nodes, but the problem is that's pretty much the only thing they're good for (I mean transporting objectives in LL maps but...let's not go there).

However pretty much all arena tournaments/scrims are held on death match maps and tanks are pure dead weight in these environments. They don't contribute to damage at all, they're never focused so their survivability is pointless, they don't contribute any more to team survivability (although we never got to test out earth tank, though I really don't feel like sacrificing a second DPS for one) or power regen. They simply don't do any job better than an alternate power/role would fulfill themselves.
    • Like x 1
  6. Venus Void Dedicated Player

I'd argue that the only useful tank in 4s is Earth, along with the group immunities ( which all tanks have, and are obviously somewhat useful with the crazy CC some powers do) but Reinforce transfers some damage from one of their lowest health teammates to them.

Granted I'm sure you know this, and I still would agree that tanks aren't too useful outside of node matches, but at least the ability to transfer "some" of your allies incoming damage to you is pretty useful.
  7. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

I stated in my second post about Earth tank never really being tested fully in competitive scrims on my servers, but you still have to sacrifice something big to utilise it. You either get rid of the second DPS (good luck killing anything with such a huge DPS drop against evenly skilled teams) or get rid of a healer (which fulfills earth tanks role better).
    • Like x 1
  8. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Your Earth Tank would die if he/she uses Reinforce.
    No test needed. They're useless even with Reinforce :(

Before, they had cleansing and p.o.t. strip.
    They got nothing now :'(
    • Like x 1
  9. PsianideUK Well-Known Player

This idea was purely to address the "tanks aren't tanky enough except fire which is op" complaint.

I definitely would like to see tanks be more useful too, whether being able to effect power/vit or the ability to absorb damage from team mates.
  10. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

We will have to agree to disagr...just kidding, i'm gonna go get my arguing on the forums kit ):-l
    [IMG]

Jk, I really recall having more uses, however it was a different way to spec, from loadouts to skill points, you can't behave like a pve tank, however this was several months ago, so I don't really have an updated opinion, and even back then, most tanks were indeed useless, so I guess I'll concede this on the grounds of i cant really tell lol. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  11. Venus Void Dedicated Player

They do need reduced, and only in PvP.

With the introduction of "Role Agnostic" PvP gear, they added stats for every role to the PvP gear, not having the foresight to see that certain stats benefit some powers more than others (restoration for example).

Normally a tank wouldn't be able to get up to 7-8k restoration just with gear alone, but since the PvP gear has restoration to benefit the healers the fire tanks take an ever bigger benefit from it that no other tank power recieves because fire would normally NEVER have such high restoration.

It's honestly all the fault of this PvP gear, and not so much the fault of fire being able to heal well. Fire should be able to heal well when modded and specced properly, NOT because they have 7k resto at entry level.
  12. PsianideUK Well-Known Player

The grammar... person in me can't help but point out there's an error in your sig.
  13. Venus Void Dedicated Player

Well......considering Reinforce doesn't really increase the Tanks survivability, I don't see how using Reinforce would mean "your Earth tank would die if he/she uses Reinforce" if anything that's obvious because Reinforce transfers damage TO the tank, so it more likely would decrease the survivability for the tank.

Considering tanks don't usually get focus fired in 4s and 5s, Reinforce is solely used to transfer some of your allies damage to you, it has nothing to do with the tank surviving.
  14. loupblanc Dedicated Player

Looks like I have been running into bad or normal Fire tanks.

Hopefully, the return of RPS (healers>tanks>trollers) is in the near future.
    • Like x 1
  15. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

You should ask yourself...is it really an error? O.O
  16. Venus Void Dedicated Player

Unless he meant a spelling error and not grammar, I don't see a grammar error, but you do have "Right" spelled incorrectly as the name of your feat.

It could be intentional, but if it is, I don't get it.
  17. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

That's why the tank would die. The damage transfer.

Also, eh. They're not too hard to take out at all.
  18. Venus Void Dedicated Player

I do great when PvPing in my Earth tank so I really don't see how they aren't hard to take out, definitely 2nd best tank in PvP, especially with their Dom adding to their toughness and additional mitigation from aftershocks or Brick.
  19. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Because you know how to work it..
    they aren't hard to kill though.. especially with all the nature rage and HL running around

Also just because you dont see something others do, doesn't always mean you're right. Not knocking you but tanking in PvP is pretty meaningless nowadays.
  20. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

That really isn't saying much :p