Talk about Last Minute Info

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ghostknight, Feb 15, 2024.

1. Proxystar #Perception

I guess the new community AI was late launching :D

I know Reinheld and I were telling people in chat last night not to run it and I fully expected some people would have done so.

This however is why I don't rush to run stuff immediately after resets because your impatience can end up costing you and this isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened, so lesson learned for some players.

That said I agree the comms could've come way sooner so it is pretty poor form.
    • Like x 1
  2. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Again....she was asked directly about a bonus. A 'sorry...I don't know about that' or 'I can't comment on that' would have been a better answer than crickets. Although, that WOULD mean someone would have to admit they didn't know something...so I can see why you can't comprehend that.

And in that case, I suppose they called the dev who posted it at around 6 AM...told them they had to apply an update they had no idea about prior, and that they'd have to post an announcement a few hours later, complete with graphics and a description of the new styles. Busy morning indeed.

Enjoy your rosey colored, dev filled fantasy land. Me personally, I'll stay in reality where likely they just forgot about it, or no one took ownership of the duties. I work in a field where sometimes people have to sub in for someone and take their duties. And most times we have a pretty decent knowledge of what the missing role's duites are. I'd guess a few devs were told "hey, with Ted gone, dev 1, can you do this...and dev 2...can you do this?" I guess that list didn't include one of the community manager's duties of posting info about game updates. We also don't have a cheerleader customer who'd call all our other customers to let them know it's just fine that those duties were missed.

OR...maybe at his exit interview they asked him, "Well, sorry to see you go, but can you leave us a list of any things we should be looking at over the next few days?" and he just omitted that one. Ah Mepps...you wiley bastidge...you got us all from 'beyond the grave'.
    • Like x 3
  3. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I run outside stuff most time after reset. Unless I know what's next week...or we just came off a 'current' DLC bonus week, I always assume it's next week and collect the next day, and avoid the raid.

Standard operating procedure even before this situation.
    • Like x 2
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

After it's installed I hope they name it 'MEEPS'.

Us: "hey meeps what is the next episode?"
    MEEPS:
    [IMG]
    Us: "....super great.........."
    • Like x 2
  5. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Not sure how it’s rose colored glasses. I’m just not foolish enough to believe everything would be operating as normal after layoffs. If the person that’s always the making these post is laid off you kind expect there to be delays in that specific area. Heck when he goes on vacation and someone else does the bonus week announcement there is normally a delay then too lol. So common sense would say that there would’ve been delays with this situation too.

On top of that the dev that has been active since the layoffs is most likely a stand in. So it’s likely that they didn’t know what the bonus was. Heck maybe they didn’t even know we got weekly bonuses. Most likely was just asked to make sure the forums don’t burn to the ground without someone monitoring the forums. Again pretty much common sense. Proof being that it was someone entirely different who made the announcement of what the bonus was. Additionally it was around midnight that that player announced that the bonus was double marks. I wouldn’t expect a dev to make an announcement during off hours unless it was an emergency.

You call it rose colored glasses. I call using common sense
  6. Proxystar #Perception

Yeah, you can run the extra the following week right, but always avoid everything else until you know what the bonus is or shut down has happened and you know there is no bonus :)
  7. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yes. And a 'I don't know that' would be a perfectly acceptable answer in the meantime. I already said that. It was most likely either not assigned as a task or it was forgotten by whoever it was assigned to. I'm not sure how many jobs you've worked where there are layoffs but generally when you plan on laying off key members of a team, you already know who will be taking over their duties. Sometimes the layoff-ee is even aware of the situation and will be given time to transition out. Not sure what the situation was here, but it's not the same as if someone suddenly left on their own decision or was hit by a bus on the way to work. Unless they had a 'layoff planning' meeting that afternoon and threw darts at a dartboard to see who to get rid of...they were aware of the change coming.

And no...it's not really an earth shattering issue. But I'd guess that somewhere in the job description....likely high up on it...the 'Community manager' position lists "Make announcements for upcoming events on social media and forums". So it shouldn't be a surprise that someone would need to continue doing that. Guess we'll see how next week goes...or how many excuses you can come up with then.

BTW the player who announced it at midnight was in the EU where the bonus was already applied, meaning that the change was put in earlier on Wed before the EU reboot. No...I would not expect a dev to make an announcement at midnight when the reboot happened...I'd have expected it Wed afternoon/evening when the 2x was being put in.

Or did THAT 2x magically appear on it's own?
    • Like x 1
  8. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I’m not the one claiming the bonus magically appeared in the games code. I’m saying that the one and only dev monitoring the forums was made aware. Not sure how that is an excuse. There were layoffs so I don’t expect someone who isn’t a direct member of the dcuo team to be fully aware of what’s next. By the way they were replying it literally looks like “can you check in on things to make sure the place doesn’t burn down”.

Yes, they could very well have had someone lined up to take mepps place. However this doesn’t seem likely simply because there isn’t anyone here doing it. Further proves my point that the one we had was just helping out.
  9. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

You actually ARE saying that. You are saying that in order to have let us know that there was a bonus, the guy who posted the update would have had to post about it at midnight, like it just suddenly came up then...when obviously the change was in before midnight as EU had it already. Therefore it must have just 'magically' appeared and they just reacted the next day (with a fully formed announcement btw). Took the whole team by surprise apparently. Personally I'd guess both EU and US had the code in place sometime Wed, awaiting the next reboot, as I doubt anyone wants to do code roll-out after 11PM or 1st thing when they sign in early morning....but hey, I suppose anything can be true.

And yes. She was probably just filling in. Which is why when asked directly about it an answer of 'Gee...I didn't know you did bonus weeks' or 'I don't know that, let me check' or 'I can't really say...I'm just trying to keep things from burning down here' all would be acceptable answers. I already said this....several times. Not sure why that's so hard for YOU to comprehend.

Oh...yeah...I forgot who I'm talking to. Disregard that.
    • Like x 3
  10. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

For someone who claims I don’t read you sure like misrepresenting. I never stated the update was added last minute. All I said was the person who mentioned the bonus did so at midnight in PT. A time I doubt the dev stepping in wasn’t active. That in no way means the bonus was added at that time lol. My only statement had been the same. The dev who stepped in was probably just helping out with monitoring the forums. Monitoring the forums doesn’t including letting us know of everything that’s going on. They didn’t own us anything. We are not entitled to anything. Would it be nice if A dev let us know ahead of time what the bonus was? Absolutely. Would’ve been great. Personally I believe bonuses should be listed on the upcoming events when a new event of planned on coming up. But I don’t expect a stand in who is literally just checking in on things to also be answering every question
  11. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

And I agreed...I doubt the dev was available at midnight....but that's not when the update was rolled in, or it wouldn't have been on EU already, would it?

And seeing as I know the dev's marital status and dinner preferences...I suppose the selective answering of questions was pretty obvious already. You are correct...maybe 'every' question didn't need to be answered.

But I will agree on your point they didn't owe (I'll assume typo with 'own') us anything. However, when called out on it, the OP in this thread wasn't 'owed' a response from you either. He was 100% correct....the announcement was late, you seem to agree on this point, regardless of the reasons for the lateness. Yet, you chimed in that he was just reposting what a dev had posted. Your point there? Well other than to stir things up, then get defensive when it's stirred up? I guess they'd make you turn in your pom-poms if you had just let it go. GO TEAM!!
    • Like x 1
  12. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I mean not sure that means trying to stir thing up lol. The guys literally just did a copy paste and that was all lol. Wouldn’t that be stirring things up themselves since they didn’t add anything to it?

I would’ve expected the ones in charge to have made arrangements regarding the finer details. That is not something I put on the devs, especially one that was just helping out.
  13. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

'Stir things up' is in regard to the fact you felt the need to call out someone who was just distributing info, copied or not. The copied post was from update notes, where MANY people don't frequent and was made 10 min BEFORE the actual announcements page post, so the OP had no reason to believe an actual announcement would be made for the same reasons you put forth. The comment in the title was that it was late notice....which was accurate, it was after weekly loot reset after all. No comment was needed, and actually resulted in calling MORE attention to the fact the ball was dropped.

If I can armchair psychiatrist a bit, I'd guess it has something to do with the fact you A) got in first response and B) felt the need to defend the devs from even a minor 'negative' comment in a post title. I'm not sure where that gets you...but it does seem to be a 'need' you have. By the time you responded to him, the official announcement was made, so likely this post would have died at the OP's message till you responded.....so good job?
    • Like x 2
  14. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

You’re right. They very well could’ve just been passing along the information. That would have not been stirring the pot. It is however the case when the OP added this threads title lol
  15. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Oh....so it going up after the fact ISN'T accurately 'last minute' info?

I guess technically you are right. 'Last minute' would have been shortly before reset....not 6 or 7 hours after. At that point it was just plain 'late'. 'Last minute' now seems like a softball qualifier. I guess we'll go hardball next week Thurs.;)
    • Like x 2
  16. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

It was late info for sure

But they get a pass cause for one they are taking over for someone who had done the job 13 years and two bonus weeks aren’t guaranteed anyway.

But yes if they are gonna do it it should be announced the day befor.

Luckily I was on here before reset and read that eu got it … otherwise I woulda been annoyed I missed out on the weekly raid being doubled since I’m still leveling my main for elite support role gear.
  17. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

No one ever said they couldn't be given a bit of slack. I said several times that 'I dont' know' would be a fine and accurate answer by any dev who was just helping out. However, the discussion wasn't really about WHY it was late...it was about the fact that someone had the GALL to not only mention it was late...but to bring the info here to general discussion vs just leaving it buried in the update notes where it was first posted.

I mean...imagine having to complain that someone was making widely sought after info (like a bonus week) MORE available during a week where the devs might actually need help distributing that info....then complaining that we don't understand they MIGHT have needed that same help.

The proper response to the OP, if any was needed at all...much like it was for the EU player who posted the info Wed night...would be 'thanks for the info'.
    • Like x 2
  18. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

True... but...

Some people will always be what they will always be.
    • Like x 1
  19. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Wow...
    Is this what the world is now...

Such petty stuff to squabble over.
    • Like x 1
  20. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

It sucks I know but all these night owls on EU and NA servers gotta hang tight every Thursday to see if the bonus applies and what not. Hey instead of all rushing to do Endgame after servers reset so the game is a ghost town by Monday how about doing your weekly Omnibus obligations first (as in the select few of us that still do Omni)? :D