Superman Emblem - Good News (if you're patient)

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Elijah Seed, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Elijah Seed Well-Known Player

Last night I read an article online from Business Insider that warned of "legal drama" that is sure to happen starting in or near 2034 over the free use of Superman followed in the years after with Batman and Wonder Woman.

It seems that Superman is set to enter the Public Domain on January 1, 2034 where EVERYONE that wants to will be able to FREELY PROFIT off him without fear of litigation. Batman follows a year later and Wonder Woman two year after that.

So, if you're patient and can wait until January 1, 2034 and assuming that DCUO is still in business at that time maybe, JUST MAYBE you'll get that coveted Superman Emblem you want.

Check out the Business Insider article for yourself. It might give you a chuckle as it did me. ;)
    • Like x 1
  2. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Given the last sentence I'm not sure OP means to troll so much as just share something they found humorous.

But yeah, copyright and trademark gets VERY messy and confusing and hard to keep track of everything that factors in. I STG the more I learn about it and how it works, the less I know about it. Legal stuff in general gets messy, insanely specific, and confusing, but man does copyright and trademark stuff in particular really make your brain bluescreen. Doesn't help that companies are constantly getting them changed to keep ahold of their assets (looking at you, Disney and Mickey Mouse). Even actual copyright and trademark lawyers blue screen if they think about it too long or too specifically lmao.
    • Like x 1
  3. inferno Loyal Player

They will find a way to extend it.

Think of Mickey Mouse and Disney.
    • Like x 1
  4. Skoll Well-Known Player

• This is one of the silliest comments ever posted on these forums.
    I’m convinced a Superman emblem in DCUO is very little to do with WBD and the family estates refusing to give permission and much more to do with Daybreak not trying or giving a damn. I’d imagine it takes a lot of back and forth between multiple parties involved. DC Moneyverse Online, how much return would they even get for all the effort into getting it into the game again? 3 times in 11 years, I’d imagine they think we are asking for too much… They have more important things, such as putting resources into the next Time Capsule and Booster Bundles. Not to mention the next type of Artifact/Ally system they’ve no doubt got cooking up for the near future.
  5. Proxystar #Perception

DCUO's sunset date December 31, 2033
    • Like x 2
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

If that were true they would have put the Superman Emblem in a time capsule as an ultra rare drop ... I haven't seen anyone complain about the limited time Batman anniversary emblem that is no longer available.
  7. Skoll Well-Known Player

I’m saying why do all the work to get a Superman emblem into the game, and even if they wanted to put it in a Time Capsule, would it still even be worth it for them? I doubt it’d generate much more than if they put a Nebula Material or Superboys hair or anything else people have been asking for, even a big slimline with a big emblem bare neck and hands would probably sell more than a capsule with a Superman emblem as the ultra rare. There’s more people who do not roleplay Superman than those that do.

And nobody complains about Batmans emblem because there is a really good one available in game already. If the BvS Superman emblem was still available I doubt you’d hear as much complaining about missing the 80th Superman emblem. They’re not comparable. There is no good alternative to a Superman emblem. The House of Xos and Ah look nothing like an S unless you’re half blind, squinting and look at a 18” monitor from 10 feet away.

I just don’t see it as a priority for them to get it. As the saying goes, more trouble than it’s worth.
  8. the solowing Steadfast Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  9. ItsMeAgain Well-Known Player

Or, they can just give us the feat and boom done. There's no legal worries doing that.
  10. Brit Loyal Player

Interestingly enough, Disney had it extended previously to the 75 year limit. Then they tied things up in legal purgatory for 20 years of litigation before finally getting locked down with the 95 year limit. And now... they're stuck.

Disney lost Winnie the Pooh this year to public domain, which is resulting in the independent horror picture "Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey".

They've fought and fought and fought, but when Disney started actually losing million dollar properties, that's a strong indication that this is a done deal. The Mouse himself goes into Public Domain in 2024, and in addition to losing Winnie the Pooh this year, Disney is not actively in Court to prevent Mickey Mouse from going Public Domain in 2024.

Instead, Disney simply established a new pattern for evolving intellectual property. The example that was given regarding Mickey Mouse was that, while they cannot prevent him from entering the public domain, only the version of Mickey that is 95 years old will be public domain. That means Steamboat Willie. Mickey cannot wear white gloves, for example, because that feature was added later and so it as a feature will not specifically be public domain.

Why is that relevant? It means that while Superman, Batman, and Captain America are on deck to become public domain, they will only become public domain in the form that they were released in. So we do not get a 1990s Superman Emblem; it's not 95 years old.

Instead, we will get this version of the emblem.

[IMG]

Close, but at the same time, entirely different from:

[IMG]
    with the red border that adjoins the S, and the rigid lines and symmetrical diamond shape.
  11. Forum Junkie Well-Known Player

I am complaining! I want this emblem! Or something near identical. There aren't any that come close. Unfortunately, I was not able to play at that time due to IRL circumstances.
  12. Tolly Committed Player

From the point of view of a DCUO player this whole Superman emblem protection thing is just ridiculous, protecting the emblem against DC Universe Online, how serious can it be?
    • Like x 4
  13. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

There's no copyright issue. We have a license with DC, but that doesn't mean we can do anything we want with it. Everything gets approved.

We tried to make our Black Adam pink-haired with fire for legs, but DC said no. (Okay, not really. Just an example.) For whatever reasons, they have said 'no' when asked except for the few limited occasions we got the basic Superman emblem in the game.

We ask routinely and frequently, because we know how much everyone wants it.
    • Like x 16
  14. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Then you have no choice.... starting today.... you have to ask every day. ;)

The if that does not work... you have to start asking every hour.... every minute if need be. :eek:

;)

I am sure many would like a Superman chest piece not unlike the Classic Champion Slimline one with a BIG Superman emblem... even if it means the emblem would be color locked.

How about a Slimline chest like the Classic Champion Slimline with no bracelets and that can support an emblem??

That way people would have a chest piece that does not cover the neck... and they could use the House of Vox emblem.... or the Superman emblem if they have it??

Just a thought. ;)

But ideally.... keep on asking.... maybe sooner or later DC will slip and they will say yes?? ;)

Having a Superman emblem is probably the question people ask me the most on my channel.
    heck at some point I could have made a Superman emblem video every week.... that is how high the demand seems to be for such an emblem.

But I'm not really telling you anything....you knew that already. ;)
    • Like x 4
  15. RTX Well-Known Player

under which lisence this falls? DreamWorks Baby Boss? :D
    [IMG]
  16. Eve YouTuber

That's good to know. It's a shame DC says no, being a DC game, but I never thought it had anything to do with DI/Daybreak. I'm not sure if this is why the game feels limited in some aspects. Maybe they will soften the reins at some point. Also screenshotting it for whenever someone asks about it. Thanks for giving an official reply!
    • Like x 3
  17. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Wonder how many of the things players want and constantly ask for but still haven’t gotten are entirely down to that issue. IP stuff and decisions around it can be so weird lmao.
    • Like x 2
  18. Forum Junkie Well-Known Player

Awesome for you to give such a thorough response. Can you please ask routinely for the Batman's 80th (or something remarkably similar) as well? That classic black and yellow emblem, its shape and everything about it is epic... Wish my circumstances were different when it was initially released. It was the one and only time I was not subscribed nor able to play due to life circumstances.
    • Like x 2
  19. myandria Item Storage

Hmm..

Well, when a company gets license rights from another, they are representing that company; they are usually hard to get from a well established company. So, the devs have to put requests and ask for approvals; this ensures that the guidelines of that license are followed. DC characters have a storied history, iconic looks and powers; WB/Discovery will want to have as much control on that as possible without losing money or compromise the integrity of their characters (the current comics do that already, but that's a "Joker's Funhouse" topic).

However, with the recent announcement from the CEO of WB/Discovery that DC will have more licenses available to those companies that are interested, the future of seeing more DC characters, styles, symbols and emblems is hopeful. We will have to wait and see.
    • Like x 2
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Personally it was something I kind of got used to in my time playing Star Wars Galaxies, so I learned to roll with it a while ago. LOL
    • Like x 3