Suggestion: Release New Legends Characters More Often (Or more at a time).

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Hero of Justice, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Hero of Justice New Player

So I've been thinking about the Legends roster recently, and seeing posts about all of the Legends characters that people want to see. Just about everyone has their own list of characters that they would love to see in the game, it's probably the biggest thing I see talked about on the Legends side beside balance. Problem is, many will likely never happen because:

1) New Legends seem to be being released in pairs of two every few months (or whenever the next DLC hits).

2) New Legends are based off of the DLC.

Now #2 makes sense, if you release Legends with a DLC they probably should be related. But #1? We already had the Lightning Strikes DLC, and no Flash. Same with the rest of the Titans and the Sons of Trigon DLC. There's the MP, but it has usually been reserved for the biggest names in DC, so that would only help with people like the Flash, Green Arrow, Deathstroke, and Doomsday. All of the other names that people have wanted to see are at the mercy of the DLC patterns.

So... my suggestion is either to introduce more Legends characters in DLC's, or to release more of them in between DLC's. Of course, how is the question. Maybe release them on the MP and lower the price? Legendaries could grab them with their monthly bonus, if they so chose, and Premiums could pick and choose the ones they wanted to buy. Or is there some other idea that would work better?

Discuss away!
  2. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

They did release a chunk of legends via the Last Laugh DLC and that dlc is generally considered one of the worst DLC'S.
  3. JonnyD New Player

we seem to have enough legends to pick from, I don't mind waiting and I certainly didn't master all of them...the number of legends being released is fine...
  4. Lord Aiden Well-Known Player

Do people play legends that often? Even if new legends were released do you think that would breath freshness into legends?
  5. Scarlet Rise Loyal Player

Well, if they can get over the time and resources issue, then two a month I'd imagine, would be enough. They should reduce the price so it is much lower than a whole DLC. The value of legends characters should not be of the same value as a whole DLC.

Perhaps they should create some mini side quest to introduce a new legends character not tide to a DLC, maybe even make it the theme of the month (similar to a seasonal event). One villain and one hero. Villains get there side mission while heroes get there's (or they could just have one that has some differences depending the players morality).

Actually, in general there should always be at least one theme going on each month. People should not have to wait for a seasonal. This could be something to hold people over until the next DLC but I'm making a digression now.

That's my input, anymore notions?

Thank you
  6. Scarlet Rise Loyal Player

Not if you have mastered the ones you want to master. For me, I am not concerned about just winning I am also interested on how I can improve in combat in general. Certain legends character open more doors to certain skills than others. What I learn in legends bleeds into other areas.
  7. Hero of Justice New Player

Right, but the Last Laugh was a full-priced DLC that was PVP-focused when the majority of players major in PVE. Then once the maps were opened up a lot of its appeal was lost. This is releasing an extra character or two every once in a while (a couple a year perhaps), independent of DLC. I think it would open up possibilities to do characters who have no obvious opportunity to appear anytime soon, such as Green Arrow for instance.
  8. Scarlet Rise Loyal Player

Considering how PVP is right now, legends is probably the most helpful choice in fighting another player (not counting dueling) that is structured and not bleeding into chaos compared to the current PVP.
  9. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

I don't know if we would see that though (I am in support of the idea however) because there is a need for more stuff on the marketplace. I wouldn't mind it if they released characters in bundles for like 5 bucks though. I think that's reasonable. As much fun as I have gotten with Lex, the logic that one character should cost as much as an entire DLC like battle for earth that spans 3 tiers does seem a bit distorted to me.
    • Like x 1
  10. Hero of Justice New Player

I agree, the marketplace seems like the ideal place for something like this. Maybe release them in sets of three or four ( 2 heroes, 2 villains) twice a year. I would actually be ok with them being 10 dollars so long as they had a worthy character headlining the group. If they released a bundle with Green Arrow, of course people would go get it. They also would be getting a deal based on the current pricing since he would have been 10 bucks if they just released him by himself. There are still quite a few characters that I think many would consider headliners that would make it worth it, enough for them to do this without running out of viable names. Arrow, Deathstroke, Doomsday, Martian Manhunter, Black Adam/Captain Marvel, etc.
    • Like x 1
  11. Drifting Dreamer Steadfast Player

Another thing that needs to be considered is that this game is not owned by DC. SOE has to license each and every piece of content on an individual basis. This is why it took so long to get green auras (so I'm lead to believe.) This means that whenever a new Legend is being planned SOE must first get the OK from DC, then has to purchase the rights to use that character's name, likeness, and powers. This could be the reason for the 'only 2 at a time' and why they are linked to the upcoming (already licensed) DLC content. Anyway, I think a couple more would be great, I'm not trying to say this is a bad idea ... cause it isn't. Just giving everyone some additional info to chew on
    Cheers All :D
    • Like x 1
  12. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Yea exactly. Like I would have liked it if they released Superman and Lex in a pack together.

And because I bring this up almost every time one if these threads pops up, they really oughta fix Superman before adding other characters into the marketplace.
    • Like x 1
  13. Hero of Justice New Player

Also true. I'm expecting (hoping?) that the Kryptonians will get fixed when they release Supergirl. I believe she has similar powers and I can't imagine them releasing her in a heavily underpowered state.
    • Like x 1
  14. Hero of Justice New Player

Hmmm... interesting, but most DC characters that would be Legends are already present somewhere in DCUO, and more often than not using their name, powers, etc. Wouldn't they already have permission to use them in the game?
    • Like x 1
  15. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

They really better get on it. For a marketplace character AND posterboy for DC he's upsettingly bad compared to other characters. I'm hoping though that they get him fixed sooner than that.

But to get back on topic to avoid thread lockdown, it might not be a bad idea to do arch enemy releases, sort of like what I was saying about Lex and Superman being released together. 10 bucks for both. Since they'd be huge names odds are they would definitely sell very quickly.
    • Like x 1
  16. MrMigraine Devoted Player

I'm always in favor of more!

I certainly don't mind paying for more characters, but my Marks of Legend always seem to be capped - so I'd prefer a nice balance between MoL and Marketplace Legends - but I'll take them anyway I can get them!

Jens seemed to hint at both Flash and Martian Manhunter a month or two back on FNL, and last summer at SOE Live, he mentioned getting some more Titans into the mix. So they have a bunch lined up ... but there are only so many things you can put on the front burner at one time.
    • Like x 1
  17. TheLoneLantern New Player

They are having difficulties balancing legends with the current roster. Flooding it with 2 a month is not going to help.
  18. Drifting Dreamer Steadfast Player

That would depend on how the licenses read and what they are allowed to use and not ... however I can see your point on those. One example would be Shazam (Capt. Marvel) There is never one point in the game where you fight with or against him. So, his power set may not be licensed. Word of Power is also used by Black Adam and he is a boss several times, so that would be. Where it makes no since to me is Flash, If you watch the powers Flash uses during the different missions he's in you can see that he has a full load out ... so why isn't he (at least) in the roster by now?
    • Like x 1
  19. MrMigraine Devoted Player

I'm hoping that one of the goals of the Weapon Balancing Pass would be to make such difficulties less ... er ... difficult.
    • Like x 1
  20. Hero of Justice New Player

I'm guessing they didn't want to mess Flash up early on (we didn't have a speedster until Cheetah, after all), but by now I'd think he definitely should be in there. Although it seems like he's well on the devs' radar by now, so hopefully it won't be much longer. Good point about Capt. Marvel, I had never noticed that. Plus I have no idea if they would be able to use him as Captain Marvel after DC has moved forward with Shazam. Hopefully the legalese isn't an issue, but you could be right, you never know with liscenses and such :)
    • Like x 1