Suggestion regarding names and cross-play.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kristyana, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Kristyana New Player

I understand the opposition to cross-play, but this is a thread hoping to offer something to make it less painful, not oppose it completely.
  2. BRITTENY Dedicated Player

I like the idea. I'd much rather have that, than _PC or _PS next to my name. Hopefully, they take this into consideration.
    • Like x 1
  3. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

You... are aware it is possible to get those things on PS right? Also those claims of hackers running rampant on PC are GREATLY over exaggerated. In terms of level of ignorance that is right up there with your stats being effected by who you're fighting and dominance effecting aggro.

OT: I'm hoping for as smooth of a transition as possible. Hopefully they've got some sort of idea in place. Maybe even some sort of feature in the new UI coming up.
    • Like x 3
  4. Proxystar #Perception

I'm totally against adding any acronyms etc to the names. DC need to negotiate with names that conflict, some people may be simply happy to change, others may require a sweetener of some sorts, maybe replay badges or some sort of exclusive item, I'm not against players being given a style etc to complete the change.
  5. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

It's totally unfair to change the name of any toon who obtained their name via a re-name token. Those tokens are super expensive at $10 a pop - the name was paid for and then some.
    • Like x 1
  6. Jumpnit Dedicated Player

I do see your point and fully agree NO ONE should have to change a name they already have! But to add a PC or PS tag to a player i think would ultimately serve as a way of excluding player from content base only on what system they use, because of biased reasoning. So i would not support this idea for that fact alone.
    • Like x 1
  7. Nemeses Prime Dedicated Player

One word for this................ FEAR
  8. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Not for long.
    • Like x 1
  9. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

I think the largest thing is gonna be culture shock - I dunno how it is for you PC players, but the PS Server has a phenomenal selection of idiots, degenerates, and argument-prone people who are convinced that DCUO stands for 'Live Maury Povich Episode Tryouts'.
    • Like x 5
  10. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

You're gonna be mortified when you get here.
    • Like x 1
  11. Kristyana New Player

You'd give up Proxystar without complaint if it was determined the other player with the name had more right to it than you did?
  12. hoaxone Committed Player

Totally agree
    And they got years to get it right.but does anyone else think this is another attempt to save the game..as in mega servers and f2p?
    • Like x 1
  13. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Based on the what has been written and the logic behind it, more than likely, all character data will be placed on the exact same database on the exact same servers meaning that when you log in, you could be standing next to someone playing on PC or PS.

If they were planning to keep us separate but only join us up for instances, then there wouldn't be any reason for the name validation thing they've introduced as they would merely put "[PC]"/"[PS]" after your name and things would carry on as normal.

In theory, cross play is possible right now because the developers can log into the PS servers from a PC client. That means the network infrastructure for it is already in place.

What isn't in place is that all the characters are separated by region. Not by account. By which I mean that Mepps could probably use my PC credentials on his special PC based moderator client and access the PS servers but because my PC characters are not on the PS databases, they wouldn't show up when he accessed the PS servers. This happens now when I log into USPS using the same PSN I have my EUPS main on. I get access to all my account-bound features (DLC, marketplace purchases etc.) but not any of my characters because my characters are on the EUPS databases/servers

Which means that they're going to have to merge us into 1 database/server, which would explain why they won't let us use names that other players have on the PC servers. Once we're merged, our characters will exist in one place and therefore share the same Gotham, Metropolis, HQ's etc.
    • Like x 2
  14. farm3rb0b Committed Player

Like the idea, Kris. It definitely alleviates the need to rename folks. It wasn't so bad during the MegaServers merge as the game was fairly "new" then. Now, folks have had names for years.

If the idea is just to cross-play during instances, there are games out there that do nothing whatsoever to your name. I realize there would be feedback about that being confusing, but the odds of you getting paired up with the one person with your name on the other server? Slim.
  15. winter13 New Player

You forgot to mention the input lag on PS, which would allow PC players to get their moves off first.... EVERY time
  16. ChuckLess New Player

SWtoR has a system where you create a surname that all your characters share. In that way, all first names can be used by everyone.

Maybe they could implement a system like that.

Then again, i suppose there are people that want to keep alts anonymous.
  17. Superpatriot Dedicated Player

I don't like this for a few reasons some of which people have actually voiced here that I will point out, but also for simple case of it takes away the uniqueness and the work and time that I put into my toons. Maybe my recent experience with my account has me feeling a bit overprotective, but the name "Superpatriot" in this game is MINE. I put in the time on that name to make sure of that before Megaservers and since. When people say that name, they think of me and under what you propose here, I'd be forced to share my name with this guy:

http://www.dcuolive.com/Character/Show?CharacterId=281500746851540&WorldId=1

A level 4 with the same name as my main that is sitting on somebody's account and clearly hasn't been logged onto in a very long time.

Other reasons, not so personal, have already been pointed out in this thread. It will only cause problems in the community. PC players will bump PS players from groups, PS players will throw wild accusations at PC players about hacking and glitching or macros. We've already seen the stigma created between PS3 and PS4 players in the past year. Don't make it worse by forcing us all to wear pieces of flair to wear to segregate us. There's an Office Space reference for you. ;)

Would it suck if the above character had more time played than me and I got stuck with a suffix on my name? Absolutely. I wouldn't be happy about it one bit having to give up my name or be stuck with that, but if somebody put in more time than me then they earned it. I wouldn't be happy about it though. Not one bit. lol
    • Like x 3
  18. NikoK24 Well-Known Player

i am playing on pc and ps4 pc has just as much lag as ps due to the frame skipping issue
    maybe this would fix frame skipping if it will i would love it
  19. Impulsively Committed Player

This is good news and an excellent suggestion. Two thumbs up, Kristyana!
  20. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Trust me, I didn't. Latency on PS is something I've brought up a few times actually.