[Suggestion] Kill the RNG with gear boxes

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Pults, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Pults Loyal Player

I think I've kept silent about the faulty loot system for a bit too long. Anyways I've ran the DWF raid for the 6th time, played by the "rules" never bothered to use RBs on it but the loot I get from it is just god aweful. In those 6 times I've ran it the only pieces of gear I've seen are tons of greens and 5 pairs of leg pieces. 5! Till this day I have not seen any other purple gear in it.
    Also the gear in older episodes, why do I still need to receive controller or healer gear if I'm a tank?

My suggestion is to give gear boxes - similar to the ones on test and weapon boxes on live. Let's be real for a second, there are players who spend thousands of badges just to try their luck on this gear gamble, it's an unhealthy relationship with this game that at some point will lead to quitting and resentment (something DCUO fails to counter) and there are even more players that are tired of this faulty concept of progression.

I don't even feel like doing raids any more due to my "luck" in this gear lottery. Concidering I get to do the raid only once a week, how do I progress if I get only the leg pieces which again reset my luck counter? Also subscription (and patience) runs out on 8th of July. I don't plan on renewing until I get to progress through game without being let down by this loot system.
    • Like x 22
  2. Here2Help Devoted Player

Sounds good, but I'm sure it won't be implemented as people will only need to receive 4 gear boxes to have all of the purple gear from a piece of content for one role instead of having to get a lot more because as you said, there's a tendency to be spammed with 1 piece of purple.
  3. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

Which is no reason to not support the idea. I'm all for getting rid of the gambling. As the OP stated and a lot of posts on these forums prove, it leads into an unhealthy relationship with the game/game company for some players - those players Daybreak may consider their best customers :D
    • Like x 5
  4. Here2Help Devoted Player

Indeed. I agree it should happen, but I don't think it will, even with the unhealthy relationship that was mentioned.
  5. Pults Loyal Player

Lets just see, my timer is already ticking away.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3
  6. VV Dedicated Player

Couldn't agree more and it's funny that lower tiers have better reward boxes ( Sons of Trigon > Exalted/Corrupted ). Keeping the current lottery for getting a level of a reward box as in, getting purple/green/blue would be fine too. Just don't let it be 6 waists and 1 chest. Your content lasts A MONTH, tops. A month may have a maximum of FOUR resets. Which means the player would be able to complete the set (in one ROLE ) before the episode gets replaced. As soon as a new episode pops up the older content would be way easier and wouldn't be as fun to ask for a proper reward.

>>>GIB US BOXES<<<
    >>>GEAR IN 2 MONTHS<<<
    >>>BETTER WAY TO PROGRESS ON A CHARACTER AND WORK ON ALTS<<<
    • Like x 6
  7. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

OP, I agree with you but this will never happen. Content has been designed around Replay Badges, it's part of the games business model. Maybe, with a healthy Marketplace, future content won't be so reliant on being replayed for money.
    • Like x 6
  8. The Anxient Loyal Player

I would love this but honestly if they implemented it the drop rate probably wouldn't be much better than that of op items. This would leave us in no better position than we are now. Odds will always lean in favor of the house not the player
  9. Rurnax Active Player

The new Raid is a whole lot of communication and coordination, for green gear........
    • Like x 8
  10. bmce84 Loyal Player

I have no idea how I've actually been lucky in that raid, 5 runs and already have 3 pieces (4 but one is on support role), I was missing the chest but bought the vendor one to get that last push into 168. And in test I got shoulders on the first run, so hopefully the loot system isn't even worst since the alert is faster and easier than the raid, after all one has to assume they made enough money from BB to at least give us some good drops on the alert.
  11. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

I'm all for making the progression system independent of gear, but dropping gear choice boxes means we need to run a raid twice to get all the gear from it. Content is short-lived already and you propose killing off any new content after two weeks at best while people have been complaining about content longevity ever since GU47. I'm sure there are better ways to cut RNG from progression.
  12. Pults Loyal Player

I want to kill the RNG not game progression and do it quickly. Currently you can do 1-2 runs and get all the gear you need from an instance or you can go through 20 runs with getting one or two pieces.
    With gear boxes you at least had a guarantee you would get the piece you need/want instead of going in on a blind gamble.
    • Like x 3
  13. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

On the surface, this seems like it would work. But all that will happen is the drop rates of the gear boxes will be dramatically reduced.

This is because players would need 4 (maximum of 8) drops to complete the set and considering the developers are dead set on us taking about 12 weeks to complete a set of drop gear, then factoring in those who abuse replay badges, it's going to result in even worse drop rates than we see now.

The developers will always rebalance the system to favour the house, no matter what bells and whistles are attached to the system. This isn't speculation from a disgruntled fan, either. History has taught us this is the case.

Individual Loot was supposed to resolve all loot problems, but people kept getting off role gear and demanded unattuned drops. Unattuned drops were supposed to resolve all loot problems, but then the same drops kept on dropping.

There was even a time where the loot tables were literally 24 pieces of useful, unattuned gear and 1 Bonus Mark and all we saw then was people complaining that the bonus mark was preventing them from getting drops, demanding it's removal (which they did).

Finally, there's the bad luck limiter and loot picker, which pulls 100% more loot from the tables than at any point in history and lets you choose what you want. Even if you go long periods of time without seeing a drop, the system now guarantees you'll see a drop eventually after X amount of runs... guess what happened? Yep... Loot and progression still sucks.

The only solution to this on going problem is removing RNG from the equation. But because your suggestion doesn't remove RNG from the equation entirely, the problems will persist and be far more impactful on the game than the current system. You definitely wouldn't have seen 5 Purple drops if Purple drops were a box that contained everything.
    • Like x 6
  14. Malachyte Devoted Player

This loot system has absolutely ruined the game for me to the point for the first time since 10/2011 I'm seriously considering cancelling and walking away for good
    • Like x 5
  15. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

My times ticking away also. I'm depressed to leave my characters, bases and friends but they don't beat an unhappy player in his free time. :(
    • Like x 3
  16. BumblingB I got better.

Can't we just have vendor gear being best gear?
    • Like x 10
  17. stärnbock Devoted Player

at least one guarantied purple (like when "player appreation" happened) would help against green runs (even if it was the same piece we got, like we already had gotten over and over again back then).
    maybe: killing the endboss>choose one purple gear item on your demand? rest could stay as it is, no?
  18. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

yeah dwf is a gear slump. i havent rerun it nearly as many times as some. at this point maybe 6 or 7 times and i keep getting the same two pieces (back and legs) with no chest or waist in sight.

one possible solution is going back to certain bosses having a chance to drop only that piece. with dwf it could have worked to have certain boss combos drop certain items giving players incentive to run all of them. i also think maybe revisiting the renown system could work here as well but that could just turn into another symbols and scraps fiasco.

i get that with only four pieces of gear to drop (8 if you go for both roles) the drops arent going to be free falling...but i'd also like to get those four pieces within a "realistic" (i.e. that month) time frame. getting stuck in a "loot loop" (the same piece keeps dropping over and over) always leaves me feling like the system is stuck and needs a little smack to loosen it up.
    • Like x 1
  19. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

+1
    • Like x 6
  20. TestReporter Loyal Player

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    • Like x 1