Streamlined system..

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by SigmaAtom, Mar 1, 2020.

1. SigmaAtom Committed Player

Hi

I have been thinking about the systems I have been extolling the virtues of, for the past year.. telling anyone who would listen, what an improvement they are..

However that said.. my morale for the game is pretty low.. as we are not receive any new powersets.. apparently ever again.

System

Despite this.. I thought up a system that cheered me up, even though its a misplaced hope, a naive stupid wish.

Once every three years, three new powersets released:
    One that is a Tank class.
    One that is a Healer class.
    One that is a Controller class.

Each powerset takes inspiration from one of each:
    Meta
    Tech
    Magic

The most popular requests that I have seen are Shadow, Smoke and Healer Lantern.

Shadow could be based on John Constantine and so Magic.. so Magic players would be happy to be included.
    Healer Lanter could be based on Carol Ferris/Saint Walker/Indigo-One and so Tech.. so Tech players would be happy to be included.
    Smoke could be based on Ra's Al Ghul and so.. wait that's Tech too, also slightly LOA magic. But you get the idea.

Lanterns walk like meta and talk like meta.. trust me.. it all works out.

So far we have: less arguing-indecision-wasting dev time about what class and what style the power is for the Dev and players as all are included :

Pick ANY three iconic characters, one from each Meta, Tech and Magic > Analyze each power to see which is close to which class > Make a class of each power into a powerset.

A good time to release the powers is after exam time.. around June. Meaning snagging new players and bringing Vets back (yes that's the function of new powersets! bringing back Vet players)

We do not have Playstation 3 limitations. In fact the game could have even more visual overhauls due to modern hardware. But that's not what this post is about. I mention it because if you cannot make something of that standard.. at least give people an epic experience with what you can. This I would say includes ongoing new powersets of people's favorite characters.

Morale

Now to circle back to my morale in the game.. honestly, I find most people friendly and polite, generally content.. but when I talk to my Vet player friends.. they are very NOT happy.. sick of no new powers talking about leaving and some have left. They keep saying 'it's not worth the money I put in to it'.. I remind them it's a hobby.. think about how much other people spend on sports.. but I more and more feel they are right; No new powers feels like the death of the game.

I'm down to two or three friends I have known for a long time of a few years.. my other Vet friends have left and not returned. Many citing either no new powers or balance as the problem.

For the second time ever.. today I fell out of love with DCUO.. I felt .. empty. I didn't feel any compulsion to return.. if it wasn't that I was talking to a friend in VC.. I would have just left.

I have around 40 friends on my FL on Sigma.. only 3 log in. I had a clear out 2 years ago.. removed 20+ former friends. None of the others have logged in for many years. I can only imagine this is a familiar story for many currently long term players their Vet friends are gone.. I am starting to feel like furniture and each friend that leaves my world gets a little smaller.. why on earth am I spending £100-£200 a month on this game?

I like the size of the new open worlds (thank you Devs) I like the new systems (again thank you).. but I can't play this game solo or do things alone that make me sad & remind me of friends I no longer have contact with. I dunno.. having been staff for a long time, I know how to boost morale for a community (league) but who boosts my morale?.. well that supposed to be the Devs and content.. that I can believe in what the Devs are doing. And so I support them with money so I can continue my hobby.. seems like a good exchange.. but I dunno.. how much is any of that worth when the Devs won't listen?

Yes the Devs have listened on other issues.. but on Vets leaving and on new powersets. Stone walled. An no movement. I've outlined at least once why new powersets brings Vets back.. gets old friends returning .. something new to talk about for experienced players, comparisons and RP and styles.. I could write a whole paragraph but.. I've already written enough.

Recruiting is a minefield of offended people these days.. which hasn't helped things.

Sigma

-----------
    Yes I am aware we can have any of these three (Meta, Tech, Magic for *any* powerset) I am talking about the inspiration.

Like Atomic was based on Firestorm.. which would make it Meta.
    • Like x 1
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Shadow would be Umbrakinesis so Obsidian, not Constantine.
    • Like x 1
  3. SigmaAtom Committed Player

Well that works out then..but you get how the system works right?
    • Like x 1
  4. Mazahs Loyal Player

Powersets:
    While I would enjoy new powersets, I feel that it's nothing more than a distraction from the imbalance that a mediocre revamp did, that has been further exacerbated by artifacts. No matter how many they "could" release, it's like my old Top Sergeant would call putting a band-aid on a sucking chest would.

Graphic limitations:
    While I agree we no longer have the "it cannot be done on PS3" argument" We do in fact have the Unreal engine that was first released in 2006. Not even a PS5 or new Xbone can help that.

Morale:
    I'll be blunt here...If it were not for my league and a few select people I've played with through the years, I would've deleted this game after GU43. The ability to play as a superhero is SOOOOOOO enticing (not that Marvel MMO crap that came out) but to explore the possibilities was what drew me to this game.

It's not the money I've spent since launch (which I'd be afraid to know true amount) but the relationships I've built. Sure it's fun to play new content...explore new worlds (mini worlds) but it's the people I've met and be-friended over almost 10 yrs that keeps me logging in most days.

just my .02
  5. SigmaAtom Committed Player

Totally entitled to your view on powersets man.. and yeah it was one of the two reasons given for a couple of friends leaving the game.

On UR3.. Unreal is *somewhat* backwards compatible.. I detailed the UR3/UR4 history in a post I made at the start of February, in a thread that seems to have been taken down.

Much like any talk of the engine it seems..

I couldn't agree more @ friendships.. however my situation is different, 95% of my long term friends have left the game.. so out of 60 or so friends.. 3 remain.. and two of those are not happy with the game. I rem when Water came out.. EU WT was a buzz with Vet and new players.. I would see people I hadn't seen for more than a year.. it was great. People excited..

See its.. even just a perception, fact or fiction, true or false.. no new powersets = the game is dying = don't pump money into the game in case it dies.

When an old friend came back in iirc 2017 (whenever Water was released) it was the first thing he said 'so the games not dead then?' but left three months after.

My other long term friend is/was league boss of a very prestigious league (EU).. said to me a couple of months ago 'This game is ****.. content ****.. runs out too fast, we finish it in one week and then people don't come back for three months til the new content.. it's ****. No new powers.. honestly Sigma I think I might leave this game.. I'm ******* pouring money into this game and getting nothing out of it, it's a joke man.

He then talked about how PVP was broken for around 10 minutes. Not happy.

Then we returned to powersets and content:
    Why the **** would I put £40 a month into this game? I can buy a whole game for that!

He then talked about how tiny the areas are for 5 minutes. And how we should have new cities which I agreed with. He went on to question what on earth DB were spending our money on.

You get the idea here Mazahs..

We need new powers. New cities (size of little bohemia) and PVP fixed. Then I think my friend would be happy or at least feeling a little better..