Stay Safe Out There This 4th of July

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Elijah Seed, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Elijah Seed Well-Known Player

Just a reminder for all to stay safe out there this 4th of July. Take your time if you travel, remember fireworks are not toys and try not to give yourself food poisoning at any cookouts you host/ attend.

DCUO just wouldn't be the same without any of you. And this goes for Daybreak and DInk folks, too.

246 years and counting. Let's squeeze out another 100 at least if not more.
    • Like x 4
  2. Valka Lynx Dedicated Player

The rest of the world besides USA: okay :oops:
    • Like x 9
  3. Rejchadar Inquisitor

From the beginning I thought that he mixed up the dates .... July 6 is just the 770th anniversary of the coronation of the first king of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania :p:D
    • Like x 1
  4. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Well I'm a silly goose, I thought he was referring to the coronation of Christian III as King of Denmark and Norway in 1534
  5. Wallachia Devoted Player

I live in Brazil. Your independence here is just the day of Saint Isabelle.
  6. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

7. myandria Item Storage

Oh, I plan to stay safe; at home watching the fireworks from my porch (I only live about 5 blocks away from the park which has fireworks every year). However, I have to block the end of my driveway because someone will TRY to park in my driveway so they can get to the fireworks from a closer walking distance and nope, they will not knock on my door to ASK. Too bad I cant get construction cones to put on the street in front of my house so people wont park there, either; people always leave garbage when they come back from the fireworks up and down the street. It gets worse every year.
    • Like x 2
  8. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Here, July 4th is just another goddam Monday. :(
    • Like x 1
  9. merrygoblin Well-Known Player

Here in the UK we usually don't celebrate the anniversary of losing that particular corner of the Empire. :)

Also, why is the "4th of July" that day, but (eg.) "July 5th" for any other day of the year?
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

It's actually called Independence Day, 'Fourth of July' is just the informal name for the holiday.
  11. Hraesvelg Always Right

It's a bit of an archaic English usage, sort of a nod to the time of the occurrence. It's just a bit flowery for emphasis. The Guy Fawkes' Day poem also uses it in the opening, "Remember, Remember, the 5th of November!".

Some of us are still on the pretentious side and will use it still. "Hey guys, remember...staff meeting on the 23rd of March...".
  12. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Perhaps the occasion can still be of value as a day to reflect upon the perils of excessive taxation and imperialism in general. :p

Remember, remember the Fifth of November
    The Gunpowder Treason and plot
    I know of no reason the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot!
    • Like x 3
  13. myandria Item Storage

14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

See....no one says you CAN'T celebrate July 4th. Be the first in your neighborhood to blow something up and start a trend. Just make sure to set your beer down first, or hand it to your buddy saying '....hold my beer'.

Hey the first guy in the USA who celebrated 'Cinco de Mayo' was probably a weirdo too. But now everyone does it. Heck...my kids thought it was an American holiday when they were little.
  15. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I'm in Canada. Years ago, an American tourist approached the front desk of the hotel I was working at, on July 4th and asked what time the fireworks start. I said, 3 days ago on July 1st. He looked absolutely crestfallen.
    • Like x 2
  16. Hraesvelg Always Right

These guys in Poland had the same idea.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5vpbx/poland-larp-america-ohio
  17. Reinheld Devil's Advocate