Stat clamping and those against it

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Saint Nutella, Feb 24, 2017.

1. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

*Pics up mic* That means people have less incentive to replay end game content. After all, why replay Oly or GoM for the millionth time when you could just play enough older content to make up the same 10 coins. Hell, why bother with the Duo or Alert for the same reasons? I pretty much covered that in my post...thanks for missing that.

Even if the latest content is the "most efficient" way to gear up, people will always make use of any option which helps them keep money in their pockets for as long as possible. It's human nature, so i'm not mad at anyone for thinking that way. I just remind people that DBG is a business, and they have depended on Replay Badge sales for a long time now. They will not do anything that will compromise Replay sales. I don't know how much clearer than that I can put it. If you or anyone else could find them a new infinite use for replays or some other clever guaranteed revenue source, then and ONLY then would they consider easing up on the restrictions of where to earn end game marks (different currencies, Mark relevancy and the return of separate currencies were put in place for that purpose). *puts mic back on the stand where it belongs instead of dropping it like some uncaring savage who doesn't care about other people's equipment*

[PS: The whole mic drop thing is absurdly stupid. I work as a karaoke host and have to depend on those mics 52 weeks a year...so it annoys the everloving crap out of me to see some idiot dropping my mics for no reason. Nobody is battling anyone. And the ones doing it weren't that good either. It's a rude a**hole move and I admonish every one that does it. Just putting that out there cause I hate that s**t. :mad:. I'm not mad at you and I can continue to maturely debate this and other things with you and anyone else.]
    • Like x 1
  2. Proxystar #Perception

No you can't because any dropping off relevant end game currency has ripple up damage effects would you like me to elaborate for you or do you think you can figure it out on your own?
    • Like x 4
  3. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Agreed...only problem is that creating said cosmetic and fluff items requires resources....and as we've seen, they're more amenable to using those resources when they can guarantee immediate income from those endeavours (Time Capsules and Stabilizers). Just look, we went from October to February before they even added a new cosmetic item (Flash Cowl). Now mind you, the Flash Cowl was given to members for free, and everybody else complained about the price (shocker there). So now we probably won't see any new cosmetic item till the next time Capsules followed by the event in April and the new episode in June (it was June right???).

Having said all that...I would LOVE to see your idea go through. Add new styles to a vendor...price them just high enough to have a reason to grind older content for the new clamped currency. Update that vendor at minimum 4 times a year...being that i'm a style hunter, i'd go through the headache of clamping for that. Thing is, most people want marks because they somehow don't know how to earn enough as is to get all the things they want and need. This is why I don't see your idea being embraced by too many. :oops:
    • Like x 1
  4. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

No thanks.
  5. Harlequin Devoted Player

I agree with this but I think they are being short sighted. Filling the queues for new players working their way up would pay dividends in the form of many more paying customers as they become immersed in the game and attached to their characters.

IMO, of course.
    • Like x 1
  6. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

I agree with this and I usually remove my gear and only put it back on if a group absolutely begs me to (doesn't happen often). I think that the bigger issue is that LFG isn't set on automatically. You need to turn it on just like versus or trade which is really unfortunate. I don't think it's the lack of people playing but more lack of people knowing how to start their own group. If LFG was on for everyone by default I think it *could* indirectly solve the issue to several things without needing to implement a stat clamp.

I don't know why they haven't done this though.
  7. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

This conversation invariably degenerates into a ***********.
    • Like x 1
  8. Gimpy Loyal Player

I fully agree LFG being visible from the moment the chat window appears for the 1st time would help the new player.
    • Like x 2
  9. Gimpy Loyal Player

Then it is obvious you only want it because it's easier than you removing your own gear.

B.T.W. dropping the mic, means you lose when you gotta pick it up just to get back in the conversation
    • Like x 3
  10. Proxystar #Perception

It seems to me this is about more than just running clamped then considering you technically can.

Your argument for stat clamping is becoming incredibly weak.

It seems to me the only reason you want a system in place is because you want to go to less effort to form your group by trying to entice other people to agree with you.
    • Like x 4
  11. light FX Steadfast Player

I love how the response to this is just "no thanks." Mind boggling. I will say it again, some just dont posses the ability to see the big picture. And every single time this topic gets brought up that is what it comes down to. People not being able to see how a change would affect the entire game and all its players. Also the ability to understand that maybe their idea isnt the best and wouldnt work well. Being wrong on here seems to be the worst disease in the history of mankind and people will say anything not to catch it. Most of the time the people who want stat clamping what it for their own agenda and dont care at all if it will make the player base better.
    • Like x 2
  12. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

I'm not going to lie, I did want this because I personally missed doing some of the older stuff and although I queue for it and remove my gear I'm always stuck with at least one high level. Though seeing other points by other people I see now that stat clamping probably isn't the necessary or useful thing to do. I believe that LFG should be activated by default just like group or say chat (just my opinion). Unlike trade or versus LFG is absolutely necessary if you are the type of person who wants a specific group and unfortunately those who don't even know how to turn LFG on stay pugging things and cannot form their own groups. Even if one of them has LFG it isn't enough because they all need it so that they can see what instances people want to do.

I think that this idea would take less effort/time and *could* indirectly help solve issues we have now. I really do want what's best for the community because what's best for it is probably also what's best for me.
    • Like x 1
  13. Frank Zarjaz Committed Player

Agreed. I couldn't care less whether it makes players play better or not. While that might be a welcome side effect of stat clamping for a few players, it's not a reliable training tool.
    Being able to play older content as it was intended? That seems worth doing.

How about this scenario.
    1 month after an episode release, an old piece of stat clamped content is released in a gupdate, it would drop the same marks as the current episode.
    Perhaps the clamped content could be related to the episode thematically.

A clamped episode arrived last month and seemed to go down well (Anniversary Event).
    I love that all devs had to do to was "overclock" our characters and call it an "event" to make stat clamping palatable. Genius.
    • Like x 1
  14. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Will.Not.Happen!!! If they did that, gear costs would have to be factored into it...which would mean that before the clamped content came out the prices for gear would be even higher than they are now to account for the eventual influx of marks. You ask "why does it have to cost more"...because they have an established timetable for players to acquire everything without replaying and any extra marks. They might throw in a "Bonus Marks" weekend, but that's probably already factored in to the price. Adding extra "clamped" content means prices go up, not stay the same. No one ever thinks about this...and this is crucial.
    • Like x 4
  15. Frank Zarjaz Committed Player

Ah yes, I suspect you may be correct if that scenario were to occur. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I'm not much of a grinder.
    • Like x 1
  16. the solowing Steadfast Player

Dont let proxy see this xD or hell come swinging in with the #"DontmakeDCUOlikeFinalFantasy" xD

Anyway, or why not allow use WoWs system where after a certain "level" you simply cant queue anymore for that particular "tier" of instances and you'd have to make your own groups for content you outgear or you can CHOOSE to run it clamped for a few extra marks
    • Like x 1
  17. Gimpy Loyal Player

So now "optional" clamping is going to cost players.

Would someone please remove the equine carcass,,,, you know,,,,,,,,,, that putrid mass people keep beating by "-re-wording" or "re-phrasing" the same damn subject.

[IMG]
  18. the solowing Steadfast Player

I mean WoW doesn't have the issue we speak of due to that system, i mean you can still run it, just not through queuing you'll form your own groups for it