Soul Well

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Sentiency, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Sentiency Well-Known Player

Look… I know I’m probably being greedy lol. I’m grateful Sorcery is getting the range buff to circle. I’m bringing this up now in hopes that with attention being on sorcery that we might be able to get some information on when this power might be adjusted.

Soul well ticks very slow for heals. Pair that with the low heals themselves and the high cooldowns, it’s probably one of the worst healing powers in the game (at least in my opinion).

I was just wondering if there was any news on if/when we might see some changes to it?
    • Like x 2
  2. thirty six Loyal Player

I'm not trying to shade your post, I've been healing with sorcery for like 10 years, ski totally understand what you're saying about circle and soul well, but... I haven't used those powers to heal in years, be ause I know they're trash, and have no problems healing any content with what I am running. I think, not necessarily you, but a lot of people, are stuck on how sorcery was, and still try to force it, instead of trying something different. I'm even specced for quite a bit of might, and still breeze thru most stuff, if the groups aren't atrocious.

Now, devs, please fix our beloved power! :)

Also, please do away with the red soul aura, it doesn't go with my outfit :p
  3. Sentiency Well-Known Player

I’m not stuck on what sorcery was, I just want the powers we have to be viable. Visually it’s one of my personal favorite powers in the game. With that being said, I also have no problem healing anything. I just think that if a power is completely overshadowed by everything else- it needs to be looked at. Especially when the range of the power is great. Soul well has been wasted potential for a long time.
    • Like x 5
  4. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

I had one toon of every healing power, deleted the nature (seemed to boring (seemed way too easy with bug form, even after changes it seemed too boring). Stop using sorcery at the time the other healing powers seemed to just rocket forward. So proper love to sorcery and it's (once upon a time) signature powers, I might have to give it a go again.
    • Like x 2
  5. thirty six Loyal Player

I don't disagree with anything you've said at all, and I pray they do, do us some justice. I've been having a lot of fun dpsing since the BoP pet stuff, and enjoy the healing rotation I'm using now, but our power is not an easy one to be good with, because of all the wtfs.

Again, not trying to hijack and shade your posts, all points are valid. I just want to make sure folks who maybe be stuck on the classic "circle, soul well, watcher, rejuvenate, that there are other viable heals in there to tinker with.
    • Like x 2
  6. Trykz Dedicated Player

It’s been years since I’ve played sorc. Correct me if I’m wrong, but soul well stacks up to three correct?
  7. Sentiency Well-Known Player

2. And with the current cooldown, you won’t be seeing more than one outside of a boss battle because everything will be dead before you can summon another one. Even with 2 out, there just isn’t enough heal output for it to be viable enough to have over any other heal power in your arsenal.
    • Like x 3
  8. Trykz Dedicated Player

Interesting.
    Would like to see some data with comparable powers.
    What would compare? I’m thing I can think of is maybe celetials combo heal over time power? Not sure tho.
  9. Trykz Dedicated Player

Wonder why they nerfed it from three.
    • Like x 1
  10. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Two, and three if you’re in arbiter form
    • Like x 2
  11. Sentiency Well-Known Player

I haven’t tested actual numbers in a long time because it’s just a known fact that it’s absolutely abysmal but if I remember correctly from the last time I did do testing, even with both soul wells out it healed for less than a single circle of protection. I don’t know if that answers your question. But when servers go back up I can test it.
    • Like x 1
  12. Trykz Dedicated Player

To be clear I’m not against a sorc buff at all. Don’t see much talk about it I’m just curious lol. Always though sorc was one of the coolest looking powers. It’s the first power I ever switched too. Started as nature way back when.
    • Like x 1
  13. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Speaking purely from a balanced view point soul well is a bad ability. The closest ability you can compare it to is solace of the sea from water.

Soul well:
    Can have 2-3 up at a time
    Covers a large area

SoS:
    Can have 2-4 up at a time
    Covers a large area

But what’s what makes SoS good and SW bad? One tick from SoS heals for 2x as much as 1 tick of SW. SoS ticks 1 tick per second while SW does 1 tick every 2 seconds. So by having 2 SW up you heal for half of 1 SoS. Right now SW is only worth using in your arbiter loadout because it lets you stack 3 while allowing you to clip it with multiple abilities while also having increased power regen.

With that said. I’m not saying sorcery is a bad power without buffs. It can solo heal anything just like any other power. But it is (arguably) the weakest healing power. I’m also not saying buff it to match solace either. To get 2 solace up you need a second ability which soul well doesn’t need. But at least make it tick 1 tick per second with the same healing amount per tick. It would still need 2 wells up to match 1 solace which is balanced since solace needs another ability to get 2. So sorc would need both CoP and double soul well to match a double solace.
    • Like x 3
  14. Trykz Dedicated Player

Ooo it’s getting good now.
    Go team buff sorc
    -signed a rage player.
  15. Sentiency Well-Known Player

So I did a little bit of testing in doomed metropolis with 30 second parsers.

For circle of protection I got:

For Soul Well (with 2 out at all times) I got:

This definitely lines up with needing to increase the heals to 1 tick per second. A problem I’m still seeing however is that with a cooldown as long as 12 seconds, you’re still at a major disadvantage from a power like a water that has the ability to spawn two pools instantly. Despite SoS needing riptide in order to summon a second pool, you’re still taking up two ability slots as well with sorc to get the same theoretical healing output as water with these abilities.

My idea would be to increase the ticks by 1 second as well as reduce the cooldown of the power to 6 seconds, but also reduce the time the soul well is out by half to compensate for the cooldown decrease. Essentially- you’d still have only 2 soul wells out but you’d be able to summon the 2nd one quicker.

OR

Increase the heals to that of CoP or close to it and eliminate the ability to summon more than one (I like the first option more because of the visuals).
    • Like x 1
  16. Hunted2468 Well-Known Player

The problem with adjusting a Power 1 ability at a time is not just that it takes multiple years to actually happen, but that it can create accidental imbalance in either direction.

Sorcery all in all badly needs a complete rework at least. Other Powers do too, but i'd almost say Sorcery needs to be rebuilt from the ground up at this stage. Both its Dps and Heal sides are lacking compared to other Powers and if the concentration is focused solely on fixing 1 ability of 1 of its roles at a time, it'll never catch up.
    • Like x 1
  17. Tilz Loyal Player

Buffing (adjusting) SW is a "nice" option, but really really not need, imo. It might give some more viable options for certain content, but surely not for the current state of elite, where HoTs are not really needed/usefull. Or looking at the healing EoG meta with 2-3 SCs. there is no Space for those abilities. (Group, Prio, SC 1, SC 2, SC 3, Shield/SC-Generator).

Also I think your statement about the healing side lacking is simply wrong. Sorcery can easily heal any elite content solo without spending more power than celestial/water/electricity. Been there. Done that.

Prio - Group - Soul Bolt - Boon - Channel Heal - Arbiter

or

Prio - group - Boon - offering - Watcher - Arbiter

Everything has been a cakewalk so far.

For the dps side I am not sure if sorcery needs a rework. Sorcery Might (no pet) is "fine". It just suffers from being might vs. eog prec meta.
    Pet Dps.. ye maybe a rework is nice? There is a thread about it currently (you know that obviously :D )

For Sorcery Prec:
    It's not bad. Its prec dps afterall.
  18. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Sorcery does not need a full rework. It’s not a meta power but it’s not lagging behind by a huge margin. The devs just need to change a few underperforming abilities (mainly just soul well).

I think if they just changed SW to tick every second it would be enough. Yes it takes time to get up 2 soul wells up at the same time but overall it’s fine. In hallways having 2 up isn’t needed since adds shouldn’t be an issue. It’s bosses where it would be more needed. Having a 24 second duration is great for moments you are either immobilized (certain mechanics) or have to do other objectives. I’d rather have it stay a 12 second cooldown with a 24 second duration. Especially since the changes would only benefit an area where it’s not needed.

By that logic balance should be ignored. Every power has a priority and a group heal. This isn’t about those abilities but everything else. SW is the least performing healing ability which heals for 1/4 as a similar ability.

Shard of life can miss, so can soul bolt. Watcher healing AI will dump its power bar even when no one needs healing. Soul syphon doesn’t even deserve a mention. CoP is finally getting a much needed buff to its range.

And as for the prec comment. If prec was so great why aren’t more people prec? Might has more potential than prec does. But I’ll leave it at that.
  19. Tilz Loyal Player

Don't get me wrong. I was just talking about "meta" and how easy healing is. I don't see any use of SW as a healing power at all. Like not even with buff... but same for CoP or SoS... Thats just me there :D :D

SB never misses as long as I have the Boss in like grey target. Ye Watcher is dump, true. But I am not against those little buffs/adjustments. They just won't make the power stronger or weaker. Just here and there options, but definetly not "better" (in terms of performance in content)

I know what you mean about prec. This is pretty much my experience with the group of ppl I play with. The EoG - SC Spam
  20. Drathmor Unwavering Player

when did they say the circle was getting expanded i never saw that YES it does need it and would be a great change just wondering were you got that information
    • Like x 1