Solo DPS Build?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by catplaysxoxo, Mar 8, 2021.

1. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

DPS powers don't really benefit from restoration so the heal mechanic from Lernae's Amulet helps a lot. I wanted to know a non meta build people have messed around with as a DPS. I'm sure there's a way to lessen the effect of the amulet. I assumed having high health helps so adding skill points into health would be beneficial but the question is how much?

Would the hearty mod help ENOUGH? Same with Tetra artifact.

For rage or any melee build I theorized Lernae's Amulet and Everyman Prototype would synch. Because I am asking for solo there won't be a healer with you this makes La-Mort helpful as your third artifact. Having the artifact increase your finisher damage increases the heal mechanic.

Which powerset works best for this approach and soloing?

I'm not too happy on Rage finisher as it doesn't work like the rest.
    • Like x 1
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You're overthinking. The whole point of DPS is to kill things as quickly as possible. It would be counterintuitive to substitute any measure of offense for trivial self-preservation, such as subbing the damage bonus from Penetrating Strikes for a 5% Health buff and you gain no Might from using Everyman Prototype. As a superpowered DPS you're going to be spending all of your extra SP into Health anyway.

Your best options to pair with Tetrahedron and Amulet are going to be (depending on powerset): Solar Amplifier, Transformation Card, Strategist Card, Grimorium, Eye of Gemini, Source Shard, Quislet. La-Mort is a gamble because in some fights you won't be able to fully proc Impending Doom and Impending Doom will not proc after your target falls below 35%.
  3. Miike Fury Well-Known Player

what exactly are you trying to solo? i dont get this
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

He means he doesn't DPS in group content, only solo content.
  5. Miike Fury Well-Known Player

so he wants to be able to reduce his damage output to increase potential survivability?
    seems counter productive to me, but he wants to be "anti-meta" i guess
  6. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

I don't think I am. As I said in my original post, I mentioned NON META and it's for SOLO. Logically you're going to need to survive because even having the best cookie cutter loadout won't allow you to survive most difficult solo content. The whole point of La-Mort isn't to stack doom but to allow you to spam your finisher more often for the heal mechanic. Again, DPS role doesn't benefit from restoration even when your powerset has healing powers. How much might would 100k health give to make a noticeable increase? I should mention not everyone uses Penetrating Strikes because again I am not asking for a meta build. You're more than welcome to use other people guides but in this case I'm not looking for that.

It's pretty annoying that a DPS should only focus on cookie cutter potential and ignore the rest of what the game offers. If the hearty mod is more beneficial to tanks especially fire tanks then that mod should be locked to tanks only but because it's not I will use everything this game has to offer and THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. I'm well aware that Everyman art doesn't give might. The amulet will take your health thus causing Everyman to proc giving you increase defense. I would bet using Neo-Venom Boost once the supercharge goes live will be a great power in your loadout as well do to the increase defense from it.
    Any and all solo content, pretty self explanatory. Bounties can be difficult but it's doable.
  7. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Incredibly wrong! Never did I mention I don't dps in group content.
  8. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Your title was incredibly vague. My bad.
    Anyway, you don't need a special assortment of artifacts just for solo content. Just burn through it and have a shield in your LO if needed.
  9. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

It says solo in it..... hmmm I guess. You can't just burn through bounties at cr level, Ultraman can be difficult as well as that hulk monster from the Atlantis bounty. When I made this thread I was thinking of Rage specifically for it's Severe Punishment mechanic.
  10. Rejchadar Inquisitor

What exactly do you want and what specific resources do you have. What kind of powerset do you want to work with? To what level do you want a solo? old bounty? Bounty from the newest DLCs? (keep in mind in the newest bounty your worst enemy is the timer, some are already possible solo .. but some have too long mechanics to do them solo ...) The newest alert solo ? how many artifacts and what levels can you afford? can you allow dual roles? (for example, you can do all of the above with a tank or a battle tank much easier than DPS) ...
    • Like x 1
  11. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

I believe a rage dps toon would work better with this approach because of Severe Punishment. Yeah no the bounties with timers such as the new ones and Greek Gods are those I won't be focusing on. I'm focusing on DPS role due to the amulet allowing your finisher to heal you for 100% of the damage done. It's the best heal mechanic as a dps that's why I said earlier that restoration doesn't help as much as oppose to your finisher with the amulet. Everyman Prototype gives you increase defense depending on your health status. As a rage dps you will be more susceptible to damage from a melee standpoint and with the amulet, Everyman will proc easily. I already have a battle-tank that I use in my 100 cr toon and 314 toon. No issues with the event raids either.

1. Rage DPS
    2. How much might would it increase with 100k of health?
    3. Lernae's Amulet-La-Mort Card-Tetra/Everyman
  12. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

That's me Tanking Metal Beast Boy as a DPS using the Lernaea's Amulet self-healing method. Today. Literally ten minutes ago. Enjoy.

Edit: There is a Nature Healer present, they are not in my group (I'm not IN a group in this clip) - the bulk of the Healing done in here is Lern's driven.

Three Caveats:
    • Precision Build: the less time you spend using Might as your offensive capacity, the more benefit the Heal from the Finisher has on your aggregate survivability.
    • Shields and PDF: This works best in a "heavy" Solo setting if you have some natural protective backend. You're still ultimately a DPS, on-call 40-80K Heal is Nice but don't build the ship on that entirely.
    • Trans / Strat Build: La-Mort will help you *at the end of the fight*, not DURING it. If you want to live that long, I suggest the Trans/Strat build. Not only will it make the Finisher Crit more often/higher, thereby meaning more health return, it will also assist your damage output overall. Plus the Finisher itself starts hitting harder in the back end of the fight anyway. La-Mort might be an acceptable sub-in for Strat in a single-target setting.
    • Like x 2
  13. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

I'm not familiar with mental nor am I experienced in precision. What's your loadout? I assume you have a supercharge generator, a supercharge, a shield, finisher and robot sidekick? Would you not benefit from a weapon buff power? I'm not using La-Mort as an "end of fight" I'm using the effect to spam it more and it's increase damage. Potentially stronger than Heat Vision. In your video you were close to dying and that's with a precision build. Do you have a rage dps? Rage has Relentless Focus (I think that's the power) that lets you heal back while doing damage, then you have Severe Punishment and Channeled Hate. You have like four different ways to heal yourself. Channeled Hate, Severe Punishment, Relentless Focus and your finisher (amulet art), I'm not a fan of the whole meta build when it comes to arts such as Trans and Strat. That get's boring real quick.
  14. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Couple things....

Before ANYTHING ELSE -

Have an answer to every question he just asked you. That's really gonna determine what you have to build with. Also, it sounds like you have an answer for most of those already so cool.

That said: yeah, Weapon Buff is in there - Loadout I'm using Psychic Prison, Menace, Terrorize, HLS, RSK, and NVB.

I don't use a SC Generator because Horrific Visage has a 6 second cooldown and is really just not a very good DPS Ability in general application when compared to Psychic Prison, which is a VERY solid AOE field anchored on your Character's position. In Rage's Ability set, I believe its closest equivalent would be Plasma Retch (I think that's what the "vomit an ocean of blood" move is called - could be wrong, but if you're using Precision, that's pretty much your most solid opener for any long combo).

Trans and Strat are the only parts of 'the Meta' I'm using, because for the specific application of use with the Finisher, they guarantee higher damage output, and thereby higher Healing received. Plus "La Mort and Tetra are not Precision Artifacts". That said -
    • I'm not using Electric, Gadgets, or Rage as my Precision platform,
    • I'm not using Brawling: Haymaker, Brawling - > Enhanced Shuriken, or DW - > Flurry spam for a weapon combo, and
    • I'm not using Speed so I'm not using Dervish as a rotation element.
    And yeah, I was close to dying - "close to", being the operative term.

What I didn't do WAS die, and what i DID do was "successfully Tank a Metal Titan with a Mental DPS". This is very much still a work-in-progress, but I call that a "moderate win" in the 'progress' column.

I'm not using a Might-based loadout, because the repeated Might Ability cycling does damage to you thereby undermining the point of having a Heal ability.

If you're using Lernaea's with a Might rotation, then it's pretty much just you using Lernaea's for what it was intended to do - boost Might output temporarily at the cost of a continuous self-damage cycle, using the Finisher as an out at the end of the rotation.

For you, building towards a Rage Might Lernaea's geared for survival, specifically - my suggestion is "incorporate a Shield and a stack of PDF's into your Loadout"; the extra time out from taking damage from the Amulet will result in you having more benefit from the Finisher Heal (as well as the other healing elements in your Loadout) and thereby further the goal of survivability, both by damage prevention from Lern's and by damage prevention from "everything else".

Aside from that, it seems like you're already gearing towards "things that regenerate you while in use", and that's essentially the main caveat of using Lernaea's - keeping it from killing you.
    • Like x 2
  15. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Rage shield is one of the best looking shields in the game in my opinion so that's a win. What's PDF's?
  16. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Personal Dampening Field. It's a Consumable Shield that you can keep on your Utility Belt - 45 second cooldown, only stays active for 6 seconds but ithe most recent version (Long Live the Legion) will absorb +/- 75K damage in that amount of time; stacks up to 999 so it takes a *long* time to run out of them, not an Ability per se so it doesn't proc Lern's either. Also good for running pickups.
    • Like x 1
  17. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

I totally forgot about Personal Dampening Field haha, thank you!
    • Like x 1
  18. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

This is another demonstration of Lernaea's in Precision: fighting Doomsday solo from 50% health forward. Standard difficulty Raid. I'm starting to like it.
    • Like x 1
  19. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

That is awesome!