Solo Content & DLC Storylines.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by GregDawe, Sep 8, 2014.

1. GregDawe New Player

Hahah you are naive then.
    Every customizable aspect of you character has been approved by DC.
    From your name to you look.
    They have a blacklist of names and words that can't be used in names.
    They approved every single style that you wear.

I am saying it is far easier to allow DC and SOE to do the work so that it can be looked over as it goes.
    There is far too much margin for error and risk for DC in allowing us to create our own storyline.
  2. Spacedude2 New Player

Actually he said it is being debated, but not a priority. It's about the literary quality which is not relevant to the game. The styles are getting more diverse with the skimmers coming soon. The licensing issue was with the actual styles of the characters. The character creation setup for players already exists outside the game. That's how characters are created anyway with all the various software in the stores.
  3. GregDawe New Player

At the end of the day though.

The point of this thread is to try and get the Dev's attention that some of us (hopefully enough of us) want content that is not just "get a group, and smash and grab loot". Instances that are more less very much the same as the last few.

My request is to give us some meaty solo content that resembles a more traditional game.
    One where I can sit there on my lonesome if I wish and hash out a really long, story-driven series of solo missions.

Missions written well enough that it can continue on from DLC to DLC, make me feel like an individual hero(or villain) achieving things that noone else can (i realise everyone will be able to do it haha) and last a good 20 - 30 hours of good, challenging content that makes me use my intelligence, and no one else in the game suffers if it takes me 2 hours to complete a half hour mission due to its difficulty.
    • Like x 2
  4. Gant Well-Known Player

What you speak of would be the bees knees. It's been brought up in forum discussions several times. However, there seems to be more of a PvE player base and that dynamic (imho) has stunted the potential of making the incredible environment come to life. My ideation would be that the incredible environment comes to life after a player attains level 30. From there, they have gained enough tutelage that they can proceed into the world of chaos (hero) or the world of balance (villain) where the very dynamics of the environment change daily (maybe hourly) due to the outcome of players' achievements both PvE and PvP (we see a sprinkle of this in PvP with bounties).

To see headlines on a hourly basis or even a daily basis would produce so much engagement in this game it would be bonkers. Because each individual player has the option to contribute to the hourly/daily outcome based on their achievements. Groups and/or leagues would affect the outcomes as well. No longer would the one-and-done raid be the only content that gave the best rewards. An open-world dynamic that was ever-changing could be embraced by every type of player. There could be headlines for solo, duos, groups of 3 or more that would get headlines AND contribute to how the day and night changed due to their achievements.

The balance issue, being that there are more heroes than villains, would be solved by making the heroes cap more achievements/headlines than the villains. Besides, balance is always jacked by the villainous acts of the few.

And even if the efforts failed - that would be a headline. Heroes fail saving Titanic Trenton as Villains burn WayneTech to the ground.

An example of this would be when heroes, in the HT DLC (I believe) got the side mission to go wipe out/detain 30 beastiamorphs and they initiated it, the villain side would be alerted to it to assist the beastiamorphs. Now we have PvE that includes PvP. If the heroes fail - the headline reads: Rough day at the Zoo for the heroes as their numbers were few taking on beastiamorphs and a villain blockade. "number were few" would be the hint that ya need to bring more heroes to the fight. If it was a close call and the heroes won, the headline would read: Neck and neck battle edged out by the heroes today as villains come up short supporting Circe's pets.

Let's face it. After running content for the first time, you get the gratification. After running it 2+ infinity times, you get your gear, check your to-do list and there's little gratification. In an open world dynamic that incorporates PvE and PvP missions and endless headlines, where randomness take place and events change all the time due to the past achievements of both heroes and villains that occur on a hourly or daily basis, the possibilities are many - especially with the massive canon of DC.

I know. I know. Budget. I get it. I understand it. But anything that gets away from the constant grinding of gear or SP and let's a player play is a wonderful step in a direction that I feel is needed to help a player feel like a hero or villain that can contribute to an ever-changing world that they exist in - that being the world of DC Universe Online.
    • Like x 2
  5. Minnion Devoted Player

You clearly don't understand my argument...

1.I know they approved of every option we have available, and I was saying that I see no reason why they couldn't approve of MORE options for customization.
    2.You keep coming back to the "not worth the risk of letting us write the story." argument, my counterargument to that is why would it be necessary to let us write the story for custom content? What if custom content was limited to PvP? (Last I checked story wasn't really a necessary component of any custom PvP content... )
    3.DC having control over what does and does not make it in game has it within their ability to limit what options we would be able to do with a level editor. Heck they could limit it to making PvP instances only.(Think custom PvP arenas here, nobody said the custom content had to have any bearing on the games story.)

Your entire argument seems to assume that DC will never approve of any new customizable aspects for this game because it's "Too hard to place limits on custom content"

It's as though you don't think there is enough money that could be made from this to justify it's addition... (Want some clown henchmen to fight in your custom content? They'll be ten SC please. New sewer theme for your custom arena? fifteen SC. Want some batcave themed turrets? 20SC.)
  6. Alpha XXX New Player

Absolutely aƔesome ideas, though I mentioned pvp it was more of the opt in flavour....villains create content for heroes to resolve and heros create an environment that makes villainy a challenge....but it could all be pve scenarios spawning from the actions of each that form the meat and potatoes so the pvp fallout is just an optional bit of seasoning. It's not a case of having COH's mission creator it's more a case of sides stacking and linking missions that have fallout the other side has to deal with. Additionally the key is to scale everything down, no world changing stuff (although the ability to destroy certain areas or feature earthquakes or fires would be cool) make it our bread and butter between the mass scale events, use the dynamic of the player base to create variety and randomness...ie bring that element of surprise into each session.
  7. LoArlequin Well-Known Player

Make me work for my mentor.
    I want to help him, to solve problems and find the reasons behind some of the story arcs that are not yet solved: how does the Ultra humanite get control of Gorila Island?
    What happened to the Penguin?
    Where is Catwoman?
    No more Scarecrow?
    (Yeah, Im a fan of Batman, sue me. Same questions could be asked about every storyline bellow lvl 30)

And the reward for the "EPIC WEAPON" could be an "EPIC TRINKET". something you get from your mentor that gives a dual stat boost and has some crazy functions like the Central City one. PVE Only

TROLL:
    Boost: Vita/Dom.
    Effects: Restores power to the group for as much damage you do. 20 sec.
    Effects: Gives a super shield based on vita/dom instead of resto/dom.
    Effects: Summons pet that cc the adds attacking you.
    Effects: Self heal and power dump.

DPS:
    Boost: Pre/Might
    Effect: 100% crits for 20 seconds.
    Effect: Gives a super shield based on might/dom instead of resto/dom
    Effect: Summon pet that deals hevy damage to adds attacking you
    Effect Self heal and power dump.

TANK:
    Bosst: Dom/Health
    Effect: Absorb damage for as much damage as you do. 20 sec.
    Effect: Gives super shield based on double dom/resto.
    Effect: Summon pet that pulls adds towards you.
    Effect: Self heal and power dump.

HEALER:
    Boost: Resto/Power
    Effect: Builds up SC for a % based on the damage you do.
    Effect: Gives super shield to all the team, based on resto 150% of the healer.
    Effect: Summon pet that heals the team.
    Effect: Self heal and power dump.
    • Like x 1
  8. GregDawe New Player

9. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Oh I just posted a reply in that other one which is basically this same idea XD all for it :) I think it'd be cool.
    • Like x 1
  10. GregDawe New Player

Just replied to you with this there hahaha
  11. Scarlet Rise Loyal Player

More cut-scenes that actually have are characters interact with the Iconics. Have action scenes that are characters are apart of. This would help with immersion in the story-lines.
    • Like x 2
  12. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

My post from a similar thread on the same subject:

Definitely something I'd like to see added.
    • Like x 1
  13. Scarlet Rise Loyal Player

Usually if not always there is a way to shoot down an argument. The developers should (maybe they do) know better.
    • Like x 1
  14. GregDawe New Player

Was my thought today actually.
    In solo missions more than ever.

Because I missed the memo where it says that the exobytes that store the data on Iconics that then enter us to give us our powers are giving us power of a lesser scale?
    Why the hell can't I take on an Iconic villain (or hero)
    Let's face it, most characters created have more powers and skill than half the Batman villains.

I want to run a mission where at the end it has a cutscene of me "disarming" Lex's battle suit by ripping off the cannons and punching out the chest (which I think is the power core, not sure on that though :p) haha
    • Like x 1
  15. Scarlet Rise Loyal Player

That brings me to another thing. The actions are characters do should be based on our moral alignment. Punching Lex's chest in be more villainous than heroic. Tying him up with a cable and hanging him upside down would be more batman's style.

This leads me into another element. Our characters should use moves that are unique to them in these cut-scenes. Gadgets with martial arts users should use moves that are within those parameters. This would give a little variation to what we see each time the cut-scenes play.
    • Like x 1
  16. GregDawe New Player

You are right.

Alpha Will would use a hard light encasement shaped as a dome jail until the authorities arrive.
    He is serious in nature though. He would still ruin Luthors suit, because he takes no chances and knows that it would cost Luthor money.
    • Like x 1
  17. GregDawe New Player

Not only that but the amount we can custimize seems very under used.
    My Serious Brute Large Male HL character flys in a way that is very very similar to the Flirty Medium Sprite Female Rage character I have.

Maybe they could be things to work towards as rewards.
    Movement customizers. Don't ask me how to attach/activate them, but with a new UI on it's way I am sure it can be done.

Flight:
    - 2 arms out, arms by side, arms flexed by side ect.
    - Power based "take off" animations rather than just a puff of cloud that lead into,
    - Power based tails

Super Speed:
    - Different running styles, not sure which ones, or how, but I would be interested.
    - Power based "take off" animations, eg. flame explosion for fire, that leads into
    - Power based trails

Acrobatics:
    - Power based grabs, eg, vines for nature, contructs for HL, rage chain for rage ect.

Maybe make this a new aspect of R&D.
    Collect "movement exobytes".
    1 "pose" exobyte + 1 "acceleration" exobyte + 1 "trail" exobyte + 1 feet generator mod = Your personal movement Mod.

It would be an AWESOME reward after AWESOME mission(s), and it does not take away from the importance of feats, instances and the need to gear up.
    • Like x 1