So I am thinking of creating my first PvP character....

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Scarlet Morrigan, May 19, 2017.

1. Scarlet Morrigan Active Player

So I am thinking of creating my first PvP character....

Normally I play support roles on PvE side but thinking of creating a dps PvP character so I can start working on the PvP feats. My first thought was to build a Atomic/MA character but I am also thinking Celestial/HB. I know a lot of people run 1H and I hear Fire and Ice are both good as well.

Any advice for building a first time PvP character?
  2. ChillCat Loyal Player

Wait until after the revamp goes Live. If you do it now, you likely will not enjoy yourself
    • Like x 1
  3. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Why? Pvp can be fun, but you have to learn how people Pvp nowadays.
  4. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Don't listen to the party poopers. Pvp is fun. It's not as great as it was years back. There are lots of issues, but if your making a toon just for pvp, you should be fine.

Powers, currently some powers hit much harder than others in pvp. If you look thru the forums, you'll see lots of people talking about cheese and the cheese people do, lol. It's funny. If you want to be a straight dps and run by yourself, you have options. Ice, HL, Mental, Gadgets, Rage, and Celestial are all good pvp dps powers. I'm not talking 4s groups. Just a power to que into any arena to play. Fire is good if you are only running solo or 2s as a tank. Fire is not real great past that. Of course, any power can be good in the right hands. I use sorcery to heal and dps. I do fine.

Weapons, pvp is not the same as pve. No one, well, not many use 1h anymore. Now you want hard hitting short combos or short WM combos. The two top weapons currently are MA for its lunge and block breaking, and shield for its tap hold and the long 5 or 6 tap hold. Both these weapons are the norm for a pvper. Handblasters come in third.

Practice and don't be discouraged from losing. It happens to everyone.
  5. TheDrone Well-Known Player

I read the title wrong and thought it said, "So I am thinking of cheating my first PvP character....". And I was really intrigued. And then I clicked it and read the post and got really confused before re-reading (correctly this time) the title.

So, to answer your question, PvP gear acquisition is currently a fairly lengthy slog. Choose a power/weapon you actually will enjoy playing, not something you think will be OP. OP is good, but if you get bored doing it, that sort of defeats the purpose.
  6. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Everyone should play how they want, of course. The current pvp we have just does not allow any power with any weapon to be successful. Sorry, but pvp is not pve. You have to conform to what works, or you'll only be getting L's. Now, if the OP was a vet, that's a different story. I'm sorcery and many have asked and tried to get me to change powers. I won't and make sorcery work for me. It's not the best, but that's where experience comes from. The OP is making his first pvp toon. I'm trying to steer him/her in the direction of success. Again, play how you want, but pvp is what it is.
  7. Captain Carkus Well-Known Player

If you don't like PvP or aren't very good at it, I'd say go Atomic + 1H. Spec full resto and crit heals, and stay in DPS role. One of the cheesiest setup in the game and most wins will be incredibly easy.
  8. BƖack Dedicated Player

You mean MA weap and bb, x2 lunge, bb x2 lunge?
  9. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Yes, or using shield. Plus counters, how to work with others, what powers are good for stuns, etc. If your focused on the weapon. Well, I didn't make the game. I am just trying to provide some tips. Yes MA hits hard, so do a few other weapons. That's the learning part. Plus knowing how to dodge and when. There is plenty to learn.
  10. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Your only talking 1v1, right?