Shut down times

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dwild, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Dwild Well-Known Player

It's been ten years. Once upon a time DCUO shut down for half an hour every day. Never quite figured out why, but it did. Now, with advanced tech and experience, why does it routinely take 45 minutes to an hour + ? Just asking. Time enough to run out to McD's and pick up a breakfast sandwich.
    • Like x 1
  2. CaseyJaymz New Player

It's 10:04am EST LETS GO!!!!!
  3. Eve YouTuber

From what I understand, the server shutdown prevents the servers from going crazy. I never seen other games going down to be honest and I've been playing Aion and Guild Wars 2 lately. I believe it has to do with their old engine. To be honest EU shut down happens when I sleep so It's less of a problem for me personally, but I can understand the frustration. Maybe a green name can chime in and confirm.
  4. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

You answered your own question without realizing it.
    • Like x 1
  5. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The megaserver was/is a landmark achievement in the field. As the game has grown we've hit bottlenecks, many/most of which are resolved with a quick reboot, and it just hasn't ever been priority enough over other things to sort out. It's still on our list, though.
    • Like x 4
  6. Doc.Doom15 Committed Player

AWS cloud servers. Look into it :D I kid, I kid (no seriously look into it haha)
  7. Eve YouTuber

I am not against merging all servers. But I hope the lag that it will cause for EU players will be addressed quickly.
    That's my biggest problem with the merging everything. That the game will be hardly playable. Otherwise I am all for merging if this will be implanted correctly. :)
    • Like x 1
  8. Proxystar #Perception

At a very high level in terms of explanation: Daybreak can't fix the lag (otherwise called latency) that EU players would experience if the servers were merged with the US and located in the US.

That lag happens because of the physical time it takes for the data from your computer to transfer back and forth between yourself and the server, if you are on a fibre internet connection you're likely to see latency of between 150-300ms depending on various factors.

Many people in the EU already play on the US server with no issue, I've been playing on the US server for 10 years, I'm probably closer than EU (straight across the pacific) and have a latency time of around 100-150ms but in those 10 years have not had a meaningful issue ever as a result of regular latency.
    • Like x 2
  9. Eve YouTuber

It changes for me. I play on US sometimes with friends and it takes about 2-5 minutes to load everything. My country is located in Asia, so EU server works really good for me. I think we can agree that a merge will be good for many reasons, I'm just scared of constant lag. Though it only occurs when switching characters on US or logging for the first time so it might not be as bad as I fear. I totally get what you are saying though! Yeah I have fibre internet so connection has been more stable and less lag lately so hopefully it will be about the same :)
  10. Proxystar #Perception

That 2-5minute thing happens to a lot of people even closer, I even experience that when first logging in, but not really switching characters.

Did I miss an announcement though, they're not planning on merging EU with US soon?
    • Like x 1
  11. Eve YouTuber

No was just refering to Mepps saying It's still a goal unless I misread what he wrote lol
  12. Proxystar #Perception

Oh yeah I thought he was referencing the mega server formed when PC merged with PS for both EU and US respectively.
    • Like x 1
  13. Eve YouTuber

Probably, I misread sometimes xP haha
    • Like x 1