Shouldn't emails bounce back if account is not active anymore?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Prindacerk, Dec 13, 2023.

1. Prindacerk Committed Player

I accidentally emailed items to a wrong character in my friends list (glitch in loading) instead of the intended account. That account was one of my friend's which he deleted a while ago. It hasn't been active for a long time.

I guess I need to wait for the 60-90 days before the email returns back? But shouldn't emails automatically bounce if the account hasn't been active in the last 3 months? Save time from having wait 3 months?
  2. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I thought that if they deleted the character the toon would show up as “deleted” or something along those lines. If you sent them mail than the toon was most likely not deleted. So either they are playing or the toon is inactive and you’d have to wait for it to be mailed back.
    • Like x 1
  3. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

It is entirely possible that the name was "reclaimed" by a stranger as their character's name. In which case, your mail successfully went thru and became a gift to someone you do not know. If you did not receive a bounce-back, it is possible someone else now has your friend's character's name.
    • Like x 3
  4. Wanning Comet Committed Player

It will only bounce back if it's been unclaimed for at least 60 days and the person it was sent to logs into that account. I have friends who basically use an alt's mail as extra storage, they send, say, exobytes to the alt and never claim them, when a dlc comes out and then logs into the exo alt to have all the mail sent back to their main and they can use the exo's to lvl their augs. They just have to be careful not to log into the alt at the wrong time to send the items back too soon. This method saves them a bit of time from shuffling the exobytes back and forth between alts, the mail methods just returns the stacks all at once. If you sent it to an inactive account, it will probably be in limbo until that person logs in. Maybe you try to contact support and they could maybe force a log on that person's side, idk if they can unsend mail.
    • Like x 1
  5. Prindacerk Committed Player

I know they haven't played since last April. They sold their PS5. But name couldn't have been reclaimed since it hasn't been more than a year.

Guess I just wait. Waste of seasonal items.
  6. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

It wouldn't matter if the name was reclaimed, because their name on your friend list would automatically be changed to have "_#" in it. Unless you manually added that name AFTER the reclaiming/change.
  7. Prindacerk Committed Player

No. I selected from friends list. I actually selected my alt. But it reset back to the first name in the list which sucks. I didn't even realize it until I finished emailing all my items and then checked the send when my alt didn't receive it.
  8. Grip Committed Player

Tough one, man. The thing Wanning Comet described happens to me a fair amount with friends taking breaks as needed. As stated, from 60 days until the friend's next login, the items just wait to be returned in an invisible p.o. box. And yep, I've had recipient glitches while sending too. Oof. I wouldn't mind new mail options being added to avoid a situation like yours. Maybe there's a chance... devs?
    • Like x 2
  9. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

A)...how do you 'delete' an account? You can delete toons...you can stop using an account...but I'm unaware of how one would 'delete' an account.
    B)...no. Mail sent to inactive toons will not bounce back until the toon logs in at some point IF the mail is over the 60 day expiration. If the account is 100% unused, it will never bounce back. If it is used at some point, when the person logs into that TOON, the mail will be sent back, assuming it's over the 60 days.

If a TOON is deleted, and has mail sitting in the MB that was over 60 days old....well, I'm not sure on that one. Honestly I'd guess it just vanishes like everything else in that toon's inventory/bank as the mail is still technically in that toon's mailbox till it logs in and causes the return.

I've had mail sent to old league mates that was sent years ago and has not come back yet...and other mail that was sent during some year or 2 year absence that came back only when they finally logged in, well after the 60 days expiration. Got a bunch back last year as long inactive people came back to claim names before the reclaim event.

And to Tiffany's point, if a toon on your friends list changes names....it changes names. If some other person gets the same name they used to have, it does not get added to your friends list or fill the spot of the old person's name. 'Friends' are objects in some database, the object can change or be deleted, but a new toon....even with the same name...is a new object and wouldn't show up. The one cavaet to that would be if you had both people on your friends list already and Friend1 vacated the name and Friend2 scooped it up. In that case, yeah....you could have sent the mail to the wrong person, but the same rule on it not coming back till after it's expired (60 days) AND that toon logs back in.
    • Like x 1
  10. Prindacerk Committed Player

That's what I meant. Deleting an account means it went inactive since he sold his PS5 and not playing DCUO anymore. I thought it would automatically bounce back after 60 days. But based on your comment, it may not come back again. Which is a shame.
    • Like x 1
  11. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yeah....likely not going to see that stuff again then. Even if that guy never uses that account again, those toons are there...and that mail is there.

Guess you could always ask him for his login, seeing as he no longer has the PS5...if he's more than just a DCUO friend. If not, live and learn I guess.
    • Like x 1
  12. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Definitely should have deleted him from your Friends List when he stopped playing, that's really the only way to prevent this mistake from happening. It seems that even though he sold his PS5, he didn't contact Daybreak to deactivate his account, which apparently can be done. He also didn't delete his character, because if the character was deleted, it wouldn't have shown up in your Friends List.:oops:
    • Like x 1
  13. Prindacerk Committed Player

I'm curious. How would it work for banned accounts or toons? Cause I have names in my friends list and I know for sure they got banned. They comlpained about it before rage quitting. They were in an old league. But seems to be still in my friends list.

Shouldn't they also disappear from my friends list if the account is banned?
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

No. Banned accounts still exist, as do the toons, they are just inaccessible like abandoned ones. If you know they are banned for sure, might as well delete them and avoid this error happening again (for those toons at least).

I've actually been working on cleaning up my friends list lately and was surprised how many _# and banned names I had.
    • Like x 2