Should Tanks Group Enemies?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by SethZoulMonEl, Feb 12, 2022.

1. ALB Dedicated Player

Sound like you're pulling them after they are in groups.
  2. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

There were two Boom Tubes. I was standing dead center of both and pulling enemies from both to my spot. Technically, you are correct that the enemies he was pounding on were in one group, however there would be two groups total, and I was trying to pull them into one.

The way that alert is designed, I believe the Boom Tubes are too far away from each other to stand at one and pull from the other, so to get all enemies, it's easier to stand right in the middle of the two. When I ran League Hall: Security Breach back when it was new, our league knew the mechanics and wouldn't even bother fighting the Bugs or Parademons.

Only the Maniacs/Lungers would sometimes get focused on by our damage player(s) since they ignored the tank and only responded to juggling. In our league, I would tank, and the other three players would get the consoles until those were done, and only after that was completed would we fight the Parademons or Bugs. Not all alerts or raids require damage. It's actually detrimental to some mechanics.
    • Like x 1
  3. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Considering he's mostly Jackhammering away, he can EASILY slot something from movement mode to close the distance to your new pile of adds. The only time I complain about tanks pulling adds into a pile is when they keep moving forward, which makes certain AoEs, orbitals and channeled moves useless. But if you're just gathering them into a convenient pile, that's great.
    • Like x 3
  4. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Getting a big pile of enemies is one thing, then group them and hold them there.

Dragging enemies though an entire run and not really stopping to let the dps' do their job is another thing.
    • Like x 4
  5. L T Devoted Player

I generally don't put too much effort into burning adds in that instance until the consoles are done.
    • Like x 1
  6. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Group enemies as long as you don't keep moving as you group, the minimum should be 4 to 5 enemies, that should be enough for players to burn through, because I see this all the time, some tanks would get ahead of themselves just to group more than they can handle and then it becomes a wipe after the healer is blamed lmao.
    • Like x 2
  7. xm3n3hun3 Well-Known Player

group them, always - let the dps' adjust - lunge, switch target, figure out another loadout and save to another armory (switch armory).

you already have heals and trolls adjusting to you as a tank, if there are pillars or other large object (that they can't heal around or stun)
    so the dps' must do the same

I suspect some dps' will leave - and that's their choice - - - - - for the group - always tank every add - and every boss and adds - and use group breakouts....

what I don't care for is...... when groups 'insist' on running with roles for alerts - all dps is fine - even with the latest dlc - again the player needs to adjust - some groups won't even attempt all dps - the concept of roleless buffs is foreign to them or unknown.
    it's almost as if there needs to be a practice event for such players.
    they could just flip the switch and still wear their role gear and still get thru it.

I for one like to play with different tanks - with lasso or without - if there is a tank - they should grab adds....
    the worst tanks are ones which skip adds..... often the remaining players will have a slow time (at best) of getting to where the tank and anyone else is waiting..... many players are just not good enough with their movement mode or get caught with the rest of the pack at the back due to lag coming into an instance.
    I've been with tanks that just lasso and grab all adds - drag them all the way to the boss - and I like this - though some players don't...

you're a good player - you're open to critique, just remember your role - and you can't really help those that don't want to be helped or the just plain unknowledgeable or worse mis-informed player that insists you need to adjust to them......
    everyone adjusts to the tank(s)....
    • Like x 1
  8. BumblingB I got better.

LOL Earth DPS getting salty because he's trying to jump burst damage over the other DPS with enemies as they spawn because he has to get really close to do the damage.

@OP, take no heed. Grouping the adds is the most important, especially if there is no troll to stun them to be burned where they spawn. I've tanked that instance and I group them up to be burned down. Since the content is relatively easy to handle, DPS tend to get antsy to be top damage and start attacking as soon as their reticle is red. The only time you would struggle with grouping adds is when the mechanics of the raid itself deems it that way. Take the last boss of Assault and Battery. You do not want to pull the Manhunters near Hank.
    • Like x 2