Roll in Pvp

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Kayla El, Jul 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kayla El Committed Player

Wow...that was a very constructive post mate, thank you for your feedback, it was truly illuminating!

/sarcasm
  2. Absolix Loyal Player

Wow..that was so on topic. Not as personal attack that adds nothing to the discussion on rolling at all.

/sarcasm

But seriously, don't waste everyone's time with off topic posts. It is in the the terms of service and rules.
    https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?help/terms
    • Off-topic commentary for specific forum - topics or conversation inappropriate for a particular area is unlikely to be seen by the intended audience and can spawn distracting and non-productive discussions, as well as splitting otherwise useful discussions into multiple channels. Political and religious discussions are considered non constructive on Official Daybreak Games Forums.
    Either discuss the actual topic or don't post at all.
    • Like x 1
  3. Kayla El Committed Player

Guys it really doesn't matter who beat who or who is better here. Please let's not deviate from the threads subject too much. I keep seeing some justifying this block+roll mechanic to bait your opponent's block breakers. Let me ask you something what other baits are out there that require you to cancel your counters? None except for this one which again creates a huge imbalance between counters. I get it there has to be a way to bait a block breaker, but they couldn't find a better way then canceling a full counter really? Then please allow me to cancel my block breaker so i can bait lunges, because tap range isn't good enough for me and won't work against good players. I've said it so many times already if they want to bring to the game counter cancel baits then fine with me, but do it for all not just block.

Another solution would be to remove our ability to block break on reaction by shortening the block window and allowing the block breaker to block break a block during it's entire animation duration and regardless of when the block was pressed during the block breaker animation. So this way you won't be able to just wait for your opponents block to use the block breaker, instead you will need to play it in advance and gamble with, the same way you gamble your blocks on normal attacks.
  4. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

Talking to some in the pvp community is like talking to a beehive or an ant colony, most have the same answers, and say the exact same thing. Rolling is just one of the things they won't let go. Imo pvp will not make a comeback
  5. Kayla El Committed Player

Yeah man i apologize i wasted everyone's time after i've post numerous times here, not him who just came along the lines and posted once, trying to be sarcastic. Sorry but some people only understand if you speak their own language, but you're perfectly right i should have just ignored him.

It's interesting how keen you are on giving me lessons but i didn't see you say anything to him after he posted that sarcastic message.
  6. Karasawa Loyal Player

• Like x 1
  7. Brother Allen Loyal Player

This is one thing pitbull, that me and you completely agree on.
  8. Yallander Loyal Player

Well that's what I'm here for. Glad I could help. Now if we can fix the issues that really exist we could look at this matter later on down the line. Suggesting a change with roll while other glaring issues are out there is like fixing a break pad when your transmission is about to go. Don't put the carriage before the horse "mate."

--YZ
    • Like x 1
  9. Kayla El Committed Player

This matter is as important to some as it is something else for others so i'm not putting any carriage before any horse. Personally i don't have any other major issues right now with pvp apart from this. If you would like to start a thread discussing what you think it's broken and needs to be fixed in pvp then you are free to do so. Also if this for you isn't such a big of a deal for others it is till the point of making them stop playing. Some players play this game only for it's pvp aspects and if that community diminishes for "less important reasons" then that's very bad for the longevity of the game.
  10. Yallander Loyal Player

There are numerous reasons to stop playing. What I'm looking for from the devs is a reason to not stop playing The roll issue was discussed and a few devs chimed in on the matter. If you think that being able to cancel one counterable mechanic without another counterable mechanic is on par with powersets taking 1/2 to 3/4 HP in as little as 3-5 seconds then I fear for what you consider balance.
    • Like x 1
  11. Kayla El Committed Player

This topic is about what problems roll causes in pvp not dcuo's marketing strategy to constantly make some powers op so that people who are interested in winning only could buy the power respec tokens over and over again. Sorry but i really don't believe the devs are so incapable of balancing out the powers. It's always the same with every game update a power or two gets the upper hand in either pvp or pve and sorry but i don't think that's going to ever change. People are always on the forums trying their best to help the devs balance things out but the result is always the same and they keep doing it every time.

Nobody was even comparing the roll issue with other major pvp issues or imbalances. Yeah i get it that's a priority and it's way worse then this one, but that doesn't mean they should completely ignore this one.
  12. Karasawa Loyal Player

TBH we've discussed everything else to death in the last couple weeks. If the devs don't act on all the feedback we've given them recently then safe to say that PvP is dead.
    • Like x 1
  13. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Just like the pitbull comment I agreed with I also agree with this statement.

Although I'll be extremely surprised if you guys get another PVP Season before 2016. Hopefully it will be a "revival of PVP" but I highly doubt it. Until then Hearthstone and WildStar for me with a sprinkle of DCUO once in a blue moon (might as well log in to check things out since my sub is paid up until March of next year).
    • Like x 1
  14. Yallander Loyal Player

Players and devs already had this conversation about 4-6 months ago. I don't really have the drive to search and provide a link, but this exact same issue was discussed under the test server section (IIRC.) That is what I'm referring to, not some poor marketing matters.

The rest I'll just chalk up to "oh you're new around here, you'll see what the rest of us are saying soon enough."
    • Like x 1
  15. Yallander Loyal Player

Unfortunately have to agree...hate that it has come to this point.
  16. Talwe Well-Known Player

This would turn the game back to the state of overpowered block. Don't get me wrong. This was my favorite meta.
    At the end of the day block was off the charts overpowered, as there was almost never a reason to BB. Block slowed down your opponents combos, mitigated damage, collected left taps for additional slowing down or additional counters and while doing it baited out BBs.
    Gameplay looked like this ()
    And some BBs already used to work like you mentioned (for example 2h hold and DW hold). Did not slow down over abusing tap block.
    Loved it.

Currently there is no reason to bait out lunges with BBs. Those are not the things you should block. Weapon combos are (Although you can still use block-roll-block if you want to bait out lunges after you have block-rolled a lot. Quite hard to do against someone really good though with so many timings overlapping thou).
    So there is reason to block. You can block to punish use of slower moves like lots of AM combos (and do it on reaction).
    There is reason to BB as it can be done on reaction.
    And there is reason to keep doing left hold combos (unless your HL :< ). Main source of damage and often not easy to counter on reaction.
    All the counters are usable and overusing or only focusing on one like it was in overpowered block era or after that overpowered BB era is not possible. Overusing block-roll-blocking and all its variations will work against most people. It will get you demolished by the best.
    • Like x 1
  17. Brother Allen Loyal Player

That video made me sad. Not because of the block though. Because it shows how many people use to take PVP seriously...and that was just EU. /cry...this game really use to be something special. :(
    • Like x 1
  18. Grand Shaw Loyal Player

That's my response to the OP. Been keeping up with this thread. I don't single out anyone when I say this, but there are so many other things to be worried about than rolling. I've always said block breaking on reaction was one of the hardest things to do in order to improve your game, the other is Adaptation. Ex:

My opponent is spamming blocks: Block break
    Rolling to avoid blocks: Lunge to interrupt or jump cancel your bb and then lunge to make it a bit easier
    My opponent is block canceling his roll: Wait until he cancels, then block break him.

Yes, this is easier SAID than done, but if it bugs you this much, you must adapt, not ask for it to be removed. If this were Advance Mechanics or Weapon Mastery, then it would be another story as those are imbalanced. Rolling is not.

P.S., when you hold range, it takes 0.35 seconds to block break, and you are vulnerable for 1.35 seconds.
    • Like x 2
  19. Agent Ahri Well-Known Player

Because this is a non-issue I'm going to see if I can get this thread closed. It is nice to have discussions on pvp theory, but it's best to discuss the big issues rather than this stuff.
  20. Karasawa Loyal Player

That's the dumbest thing I've read in this thread so far.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.