Role Training Bots - A new Event for training in whatever Role. -DEV'S?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by tiempo, Jan 31, 2017.

1. tiempo Well-Known Player

I have an idea that we should get an event similar to Legends practice. Where we queue into a room with different sets of sparring targets. I chose to call them Role Training Bots because the idea is players can use these bots to learn about their powers and what other effects come along with said powers. Be it a shield, power regen, healing back etc. These bots have been designed for all roles to learn/practice their duties and effectiveness.

These are the main uses for the bots, but many can come up with their own questions and doubts about a powers effectiveness and will be able to decipher unskewed data in a controlled environment in order to play as efficiently as possible. I believe we already have everything we need in-game to make this happen. I also believe this can be beneficial to all players new an old. Especially once the Stats Revamp hits live.

Here's the basic design of how it would work. First you would queue up for Role Training , you would enter a room with adds similar to Legends Practice. Next to the bots are consoles players can access to determine what role they want to practice. Once you activate the console you get an in-game menu showing all 4 Roles: DPS, Tank, Controller, Healer. After choosing one, a sub-menu will open up to give you options/actions that can be taken by the Training Bot(s). This is the more detailed part of this idea so i'll breakdown what each sub-menu should offer dependent on the role you choose to train. Keep in mind we already have a system in game that's lets us set up parsers for DPS, Power out, Healing out etc. These sub-menus and scales (scroll adjustment options, like voice volume) will work just like your main in-game sub-menus where you choose an option and another menu opens up next to it. Like I said, It's possible.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

-If you choose DPS a sub-menu will open describing the option:
    [DPS> "DAMAGE" Bot(s) start at full health, it is up to you to knock it out. Then the cycle will repeat.]
    [-----------------Scale----------------]
    [.....................tool tip...................]
    [Start Button]
    *Also in the sub-menu beneath the description, we will get a scale (similar to voice volume in settings) where you can adjust the amount of health on the bot. Default is always at 100% but the scale should go from 1% to 200%. A tool tip description could be put under this scale to remind players what they are adjusting. And finally a "Start" button under that.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

-If the Tank option is chosen, 2 options will appear in the sub-menu
    [Tank> "DEFEND" Bot(s) will attack you and do damage at a steady rate. If bot Is knocked out, the cycle will repeat.] [-----------------Scale----------------]
    [.....................tool tip...................]
    [Start Button] ... you get the point
    *This bot will just do normal swings like when you have no weapon equipped, in order to provide steady dps and not favor any weapons. This option will also feature a scale where you would be able to control the amount of Damage Out by the bot. The second option will be called "PULL"

[Tank> "PULL" Bot(s) will stand still for 2 seconds then run forward for 10 meters, and finally use a breakout ability. This cycle will repeat.]

*The breakout is more to mark the end of the run if anything else. This will provide a moving target you can practice pulls on this option can also be given to trolls.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

-If Controller is chosen, 2 options will appear in the sub-menu. The first one can be the one we just explained
    [Controller> "STUN" Bot(s) will stand still for 2 seconds then run forward 10 meters, and finally use a breakout ability. This cycle will repeat.

> "POWER HEALING" Bot(s) will start at full power and lose power at a steady rate until it runs out. This cycle will repeat.]

*The STUN option can provide a moving target trolls can practice their stun and pulls on. The POWER HEALING option can also feature a scale so you can adjust the rate of power loss by the bot. And the tool tip should say something like "You can use your Powers to try and heal back the power lost by the bot"
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

-Finally the Healer. If you see where i'm going with this, you can probably tell how the Healer bot should be.
    [Healer> "HEALTH HEALING" Bot(s) will start at full health and lose health at a steady rate until it is knocked out. This cycle will repeat.]

*This option can include a scale that let's you adjust the amount of healing lost by the bot.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

That's my idea for Role Training Bots, Thank you for reading and I hope you share your thoughts with me in the comments to see if we can make this happen before Stats Revamp hits Live!
    • Like x 8
  2. tiempo Well-Known Player

Any kind of feedback would be appreciated. You savages.
  3. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

for tank/heal/troll you should have hold aggro from a NPC so it doesnt take dmg, heal a NPC so it doesnt die, and power a NPC so it can heal/tank/DPS for a period of time say? 10 minutes.

after the 10 minutes are up you get a score a, b, c, d, and F. Based on how you did. So you can keep at it and aiming for higher scores.
  4. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

also nothing like this will happen til a new UI is put in, and who knows when or IF that'll ever happen.
  5. tiempo Well-Known Player

I like that option where you have to hold aggro from an npc so it doesn't die, excellent idea. maybe the "10 meter run and breakout" can exist along with this option (yours is prob better, but i see mine having some uses too as it involves a moving target.) Also the scorecard thing would be great too as many new players don't know how to set up a parser. 10 min may be a lil too long but the ideas are great.

The UI thing and Stats revamp may be the priority at the moment, but with such lack of information in the game as to how to properly play your role, this maybe that could be implemented as the revamp hits live as to help everyone understand ALL of the changes to their powers. Regardless of UI, If you do it now, you use the curren UI you have, If you revamp the UI 1st, you can still make this happen. its not a complex UI for this to happen, ive basically laid it all out in a forum post, cant be too hard for a UI.
  6. tiempo Well-Known Player

bump, hate if you want, more ppl need to see this.
  7. Ully Committed Player

Yes, the game needs a tutorial to teach role specific functions, such as PoT, HoT, etc. Its long over due.
  8. Furdinand Active Player

WoW had (has?) something like this and you couldn't queue without passing it for the role you are trying to go in as.
  9. IamINC Dedicated Player

So does every MMO around ... except DCUO , I have been calling for this for years.
  10. tiempo Well-Known Player

Thanks for the feedback. They are far from finishing the Revamp, which should take precedence over everything right now. But they will, and once it goes live and ALL these changes to the Powers and the core of the game get introduced all at once, we will risk losing many players to the lack of info provided in the actual game. Even with the bit more info they have provided on test server in 1.3, it's a drop compared to the bucket they are still missing. If you make this ROLE TRAINING event, you give us tools to figure it out, combined with the parsers, every power and every role can be practiced and logically assessed.

Don't misunderstand the idea, for NOTHING replaces REAL in-game Experience but having an event like this in place can serve so many other purposes to new and old.
    • Like x 1
  11. lukelucky Devoted Player

This has been requested since atleast 2012 and instead we got automatic P.O.T.
    Dcuo revamped the entire leveling yet tutorial role missions were never included. I believe this needs to be added and is a great idea but it seems very clear its of no concern to the powers that be
    • Like x 1
  12. nowburn4it Loyal Player

Yeah, I giggled a little when I read the thread title. There are so many ideas people have been having for years that the devs ignore the **** out of.
    • Like x 2
  13. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

I like the idea, however, I do have one suggestion:

We should be able to set the amount of Bots that are allowed(8 bots at Max) So we can test the range of the heal, how many people will get tagged by the heal and get their HP restored, and so on.

It'd also be useful for testing out multi-man stuns with the controller role.
  14. tiempo Well-Known Player

That's another great option, I figured since they give us 1 and 3 in legends practice, and they can be tuned up to 200% (within new proxy event) that can be the starting point, but having an 8 man group as well is good for those that wanna test on large mobs.
  15. tiempo Well-Known Player

Just got another great suggestion from a friend on test server, give every option a toggle button for power back from the BOTS. on - bots give you power back, off - no power back
  16. tiempo Well-Known Player

Here's the idea of Role Training Bots explained:
  17. SparkmanX Committed Player

I just saw the video and it seems an excellent idea. So far, I have practiced my support role by entering in low-level instances; With this idea you just raised, the tests could be done more efficiently and with greater numerical accuracy using the sparring. I support one hundred percent all the ideas that seek to improve the players in their performances in each of the roles that they want to play.

By the way, for me it was a great revelation to know that "Tiempo" is actually Madrabbits :eek:
    All this time and I did not know :confused:
    • Like x 1
  18. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

None of this is new. People have been bringing up this idea, with almost the exact same method for ages. I've even made a similar post or two myself. It's needed, and people who already play the game want it for those joining.

They tried a small, easy tutorial for counters. You had to counter NPCs on the ship. That was it. Their data showed a massive amount of people unable to complete it, and quitting the game right there. So they nerfed 'em. You still get the tutorial, but no one has to pay attention, and can keep holding range or using powers and they'll all die in seconds. And, now you can skip the whole ship, altogether, for free.

The sorry truth is that, even if they put it in the game, no one would bother to pay attention. Have you noticed that most devices nowadays come with the manual, and a "quick start guide" because no one will read the manual? Sadly, people don't even read the quick start guide.