RNG is rediculous

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ant Tao, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Ant Tao Well-Known Player

I had a lot of replays saved from all the breaks I keep taking from this game. I spent the last couple of days playing RITe and got 5 elite drops: 1 elite feet and 4 elite heads in a row. Not to mention the 6 green drops I got from the 2 times I ran DWFe. I think Im just going to sell the rest of my replays and take another break.
    • Like x 5
  2. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Yeah... the RNG in this game is pretty bad. :(
    • Like x 2
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Kind of a given in ANY MMO you play, not just this one.

If you're going to be chasing a loot drop of any kind, it's best to be ready for frustration. I learned that lesson long ago during my days in SWG. I made the arguably foolish decision of wanting to get all the weapon drops from a particular NPC. That NPC also happened to drop a ship deed and had the chance of dropping a somewhat rare lightsaber crystal as well.

By the time I finally got that last weapon, I had far too many ship deeds to keep track of, and I was experiencing disappointment when I'd see the lightsaber crystal in the loot but NOT that last weapon I needed. LOL

The loot gods in MMOs are fickle. Sometimes they'll smile upon you, sometimes they'll laugh at you to your face. The best thing you can do is to keep a sense of humor about it.
    • Like x 2
  4. krytine Loyal Player

With they way the devs have gone and lowered the epic items the should just make another unattuned gear box like the weapons drops are now that way you pick what you need and not get 5 of the same stupid worthless drops
    • Like x 5
  5. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

I'm done resetting stuff in this game the drops are so bad and I don't see them getting any better in fact I expect them to be worse when the whole "stats matter " change happens.
    • Like x 1
  6. Senko Committed Player

The difference is where and how bad the RNG is. Other MMO's your usually getting something nominally worthwhile for your effort i.e. a piece of gear that's an upgrade from the previous content even if it isn't the best gear available here you usually get common drops that in the current content actually lower your stat's/CR from what was possible in the previous content. On top of which they seem to be trying to balance the drops at least partially around the idea that people will be spending replay badges on it not around people who play once a week only and sometimes can't even get that e.g. the elite raid drops that have the exact same stats/CR as the normal but can only be attempted every other week.
    • Like x 1
  7. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

It is more then just "the loot gods being fickle".

I ran Patrol Catastrophe a couple of hundred times with various characters..... and somehow ALWAYS end up with the wrong weapon.
    Heck lately I was keeping the weapons I got in my inventory just to see how long it would take to get a weapon I use.
    You can see my inventory filling up with weapons on various videos.

I had to sell/salvage my weapons because my inventory on my various character was filling up a bit.

And I am still waiting to get a weapon I used.
    Heck in some cases it took quite a while to even get a weapon that I could equip.

I get there are 11 weapons that you can get...... but after 20 tries.... 40 tries....... 50 tries...... you should have at least ONE weapon that you are using??? :confused:

It could be some extreme bad luck.....
    o_O
  8. Senko Committed Player

Could be, probably is but there's a reason people feel the dev's are constantly adjusting drop rates behind the scenes. Same with the way purple drops seem to become more common as episodes move from being the latest content to the latest issue to old.
  9. SheerFaith Committed Player

NO COMMENT !!
  10. randomkeyhits Dedicated Player

Who said its all RNG?

Take the battle for earth duos as an example, its clear that there are separate drop tables for each role so your chance of your role specific gear isn't an equal share, its strongly biased against you. Run a few dozen times while going for the 250 runs feat and also boost your treasure chest counts, then record each loot drop, you'll soon see how biased the weighting is.

Another example is one my current rage items. The Sons of Trigon primordial demons feat, 19 of the beggars. Except the envy to die for task doesn't come up one in four, its more like one in seven so I might see it once a week. THEN the RNG kicks in with whether or not a demon spawns. Decided to nail down this feat once and for all on my toon with the highest count. In fourteen weeks gone from 9 to 14. I could do what others used to do and lurk and steal kills from weaker players but I'm going for it fair and square and it is no fun at all, just a drudge task clearly designed as such. The RNG isn't too bad, a one in three runs of getting a demon to appear but the weighting its behind makes it feel way worse.

Plenty of other design choices like this to frustrate players, all in the interest of making us "come back for more"

As for the weapons thing..... the game knows which is your favourite, normal random, if unlucky it might stretch to about 20ish before you score but all they have to do is reduce your most used weapon type chance to a 1/3 of what it should be and "normal" bad luck means you might not see it in 60 runs. Funny thing is, RNG might actually smile on you and you still see it within two or three runs.

As we can't see drop tables all we ever get is empirical results and I have to agree, my own feeling is that drops are tuned more reasonable when content moves away from leading edge relevancy.
    • Like x 3
  11. The SuperSaiyan New Player

It's frustrating, but it's in other MMOs as well. I have a friend who plays wow and he says the same thing, he has to replay things every week to maybe get what he needs. He says he's reach it a crap ton of times. I think it's just the nature of the beast. That's what MMOs are, it doesn't all come at once or guarantee you get something because of replays being used
  12. megamanzero Loyal Player

wow so many people misinterpreting what RNG and probability actually mean...
  13. BLK Well-Known Player

Ran 19 times with my saved monthly replays/daily resets since it was released. I have never gotten a feet drop.
    19..times..
    #Feelsgoodman
  14. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

You did not pray to the RNGeus, and that is why luck was not on your side.
    • Like x 2
  15. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Come on... don't be silly.

Everyone knows it means Right Now Goddarnit. ;) ;)
  16. light FX Steadfast Player

Every alert month the same thing happens to me. I will have a toon needing boots and another toon needing shoulders. The 1 that needs boots will keep getting the shoulders and the 1 that needs shoulders will keep getting boots :mad: Or take my munitions toon who has run BBS 15 times since it went live and still no wpn box :mad::mad::mad:
  17. ozzy1111 Dedicated Player

when 1 toon will get feet, over and over and over. but never get the chest. or 1 toon will get the chest over and over and never get the hands...yea, there something wrong. but hey, its all luck...right...???
  18. Tanksblaze Well-Known Player

Rng and Replays are the king and queen of dcuo. We are but peasants and pay taxpayers s to them. Long live the king and queen.
  19. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

I really can't remember properly, but when this RNG type system was announced it sounded allot better then it actually is. I don't think it wasn't implemented properly, but it's just **** in general.

A good mmo is one where you:

a) Farm stuff around open world and challenging/lower tier instances getting different materials and crafting the best/omnipotent gear. That helps beat the latest content with exclusive rewards.

b) Spend an hour + in a brutal instance with a guaranteed reward at the end or material.

a & b have the same thing in common which our current RNG doesn't. "Guaranteed rewards with effort"

• Like x 3
  20. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

These people are lucky to have not experience the lack of a loot table and gears being ninja-ed.