Ranged Fire DPS

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by DemonofthePit, Feb 5, 2019.

1. DemonofthePit New Player

Hello.

Been gone awhile and wanted to try playing a (Might) Ranged Fire DPS.

Does anyone have a good build to start with or even keep for endgame? AOE and ST.

Thanks.
  2. AV Loyal Player

I prefer Inferno, Spontaneous Combustion, Wildfire, Mass Detonation with good options for the other slots being Robot Sidekick or Snuff Out and then, for SC, either Volcanic Calamity, Neo Venom Boost, or Fireball Barrage. I'm currently using Robot Sidekick and Volcanic Calamity. Snuff Out is fantastic at below 35% so always worth considering. I'd advise against Fireball Barrage since this will require you to get right in the face of the raid boss (I'm assuming you want to use this primarily for endgame content where you're in actual danger).

I only really use this for raid bosses but it's very effective in that you can stay at maximum range and PffT. Great for keeping your SA up while dealing solid dmg and dealing with mechanics. For everything else I tend to switch to my hybrid prec/might melee build.

Have not tested to min:max that Robot/Snuff slot or try alternatives but this is overall a very solid loadout for PffT. It's power hungry but still reasonable. That said, Robot will deal more damage overall over the course of an entire run but Snuff Out will deal more damage when it counts the most. Word of caution: make sure you land your Infernos. Staying at max range it can be easy to miss if the boss has moved a touch farther away and missing your burn proc will hurt your output until Inferno is off CD.

Rotation priority: Inferno > Spontaneous Combustion > Wildfire > Mass Detonation. That said, don't start Mass Det if it's clear that Inferno will have worn off before it completes. Done perfectly, it'll flow w/o you having to stop ever but any delays will result in having to wait 1-2 for Inferno, in which case you can toss Spont+Wildfire before Inferno -> Spont -> Mass Det. Basically, don't think of it as a fixed rotation but a priority rotation.

Looking at the other options, Detonate is ok but due to animations less efficient overall than Mass Det. It is, however, guaranteed instant dmg so can be substituted w/o having a massive impact. More finger work though. To get the most out of Meatball you have to slam it, which isn't safe. Fiery Weapon + head mod for +2% crit rate is worth condsidering as it's a great clip power but overall outshined by other powers imo and -10% Volcanic cd on head is also quite good in the current meta. If you neeeeed a faster burn proc because of a really mobile boss, Meteor Strike is probably preferable to Fireball.
  3. DemonofthePit New Player

Hey, thx for the reply.

I will check it out when I can. I'm not sure if any of those are channeling skills, so I need to check. I like your rotation though.

I wonder how Ranged Fire DPS compares with Quantum. Hard to know without having all the alts.
    • Like x 1
  4. AV Loyal Player

+
    So that loadout's still good but I was irritated by how long the wait was to re-apply burning to enemies. I have a new rotation that also manages to increase the overall DPS output by >20%, not including w/e SC power you prefer. It's also easier to use. Requires a Solar Amplifier at 160 to get the most out of it though:

For first 65% of boss health (or until it's clear you won't be getting another SC activation for it to matter in the fight, whichever comes last):

Inferno / Heat Vision (Enhanced) / Wildfire / Spontaneous Combustion / Mass Detonation / Volcanic Calamity (or Fireball Barrage or Neo-Venom Boost). Rotation is pretty much just 12345->2345.

For the last 35% (or when it's clear you won't be getting another SC activation):

Armoury switch to replace SC w Snuff Out. Same basic rotation but can use Snuff Out w/e target's burning and it's available.

Haven't tested mixing more Wildfire activations in, since it's up the most, but this is clean, simple, and effective so haven't felt the need yet. In theory I don't think it'd be much of a boon since the Enhanced Heat Vision is so sexy. Haven't been outdmged in boss fights with this setup.

Keep in mind, I didn't test this until I had Solar Amplifier @ 160. That said, it should still be almost as effective w Solar Amp @120 with the caveat that you're still dependent solely on Inferno, in that case, for your fire procs on splash dmg. Practically speaking, for single-target dmg, having it at 80 would be sufficient but your numbers would score lower. Also, obviously, the stats from higher level artifacts help.

For artifacts, I recommend Solar Amplifier + Scrap of the Soul Cloak + Tetrahedron of Urgrund (or EoG if someone else has a Tetrahedron going). Was originally running EoG but honestly don't overly care for it in current-tier Elite content where it would, at best, do very little as I was forced to move for mechanics or, at worst, get me killed when I was EoG thirsty and refused to move for mechanics.

Super important note: Get used to jumping before rolling when dealing with mechanics. With Heat Vision, you've gotta jump to get out of the animation in order to deal with mechanics. It's good practice in general, Im just mentioning it because it's not common for Fire powers to require it so it's somewhat alien.

Minor note: I forgot to mention before that you can move (as long as you don't jump/block) during Mass Det casting, so it's also great for re-positioning w/o sacrificing DPS.