Ranged Builds

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by DemonofthePit, Nov 8, 2021.

1. DemonofthePit New Player

Hey! Been away for a long time. Trying to read up on all the new things. Thinking about rolling new from scratch. I hate these threads, but I have to ask...

What power (not munitions) is good for ranged might dps?

I'm just trying not to chase FOTM or be absolute dog crap in groups.
  2. Wallachia Devoted Player

Hard Light is your best choice.
  3. L T Devoted Player

Most of the powers are pretty balanced for range DPS. You'll have to be a little more specific in order to get details.

Is mid-range ok? -- Fire and Atomic drop way off in aoe performance when they can't be mid-range. Celestial probably does also.

Single Target? Aoe? A mix? If you're looking to scour the dozen adds at a time in Throne of the Dead, then Electric is probably your ticket-- but single target performance is more than moderately sucky. If you only care about boss fights Nature is still top tier-- but you wont get much scoreboard credit against those hallway adds.

Pet-focused Earth does ok at full range, but it's not as fun as yelling "Jackhammer for the win!" and jumping into the mix of things.
  4. DemonofthePit New Player

Hi, thanks for your reply.
    Been gone awhile, so forgive my ignorance.

S+
    S
    A <-- I want to be here for ST/AOE for all content without any pets or superspeed abilities
    B
    C

The best reference I have is that I have an old Quantum character. My main is/was Rage melee that's so old and outdated, I don't even know if it's good anymore.
  5. Wallachia Devoted Player

Rage DPS melee is ridiculously good. The problem, however, is that it only has ONE melee build option, the others are severely outclassed.
  6. AV Loyal Player

Every power played to its fullest potential is within like 1-2% of every other power in ranged boss DPS (with the caveat that some are intrinsically dirtier than others in some situations and some have stronger base DPS but worse SCs and vice versa). Just pick what you enjoy and master it.
    • Like x 1
  7. DemonofthePit New Player

Yeah, that's a good general rule for all games.
    Just double-checking before I invest more time and $$$ into it.
    Reading the guides in your links btw.

I just wish there was something without Grim, Sidekick, Superspeed, etc. Like a pure powers build that won't put me at the bottom behind the healer or something lol.

Right now I'm looking at Fire, Quantum, and Celestial. Now I need to see where they rank with the above parameters.
    • Like x 1
  8. AV Loyal Player

Only a handful of powers rely on Grim for min:max. Similarly, Superspeed is only "needed" for maxing out melee AoE rotations in raid hallways but in actual practice the ranged AoE options do just as well for everything but Light and Gadgets, since ranged AoE never gets interrupted and always hits everything in sight.

Are you leveling from 0 or CR skipping and PLing artifacts? Cuz that'll make a big different on how you can play early on as well.
  9. DemonofthePit New Player

I might just roll a new character to start fresh, yeah. I guess I could change powers on one of my existing ones, but I'd still have to learn my powers anyways. I haven't logged in yet. Just trying to read up on the changes to the game over the past few years and brainstorming while I finish my character on New World and park it.
  10. DemonofthePit New Player

Yep, looks like I'm going with either fire, light, quantum, or celestial.

Or if I got real specific:

My Hero character - Fire or Light (whatever is better or not broken)
    My Villain character - Quantum or Celestial (whatever is better or not broken)

And then, find a build without Grim, Robot Sidekick, and freezing breath but not handicap myself too much.