R.I.P. Jerry Lewis

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by montazumas revenge, Aug 20, 2017.

1. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Age 91 , my childhood loved you
    • Like x 1
  2. Helderman Dedicated Player

When did the real Nutty Professor die?
  3. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

:(
    Martin and Lewis, back together again :(
  5. Wallachia Devoted Player

Jerry Lewis was one of my influences when it comes to making my scripts. 33% Jerry, 33% Mel Brooks, 34% myself. Today I feel like one third of me died. I am genuinely heartbroken.

I need a hug.
  6. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Jerry Lewis, while talented and generous when it came to his yearly telethon, was one of those comedians who was a comedian only in front of cameras. Unfortunately, he wouldn't walk across the street to piss on the fans who loved him if they were on fire. Sorry to piss on someone's grave but the truth is the truth. I know of several people who had the displeasure of being in his company and every one of them said how much of a Richard Cranium he was, even toward children. And, no, it wasn't a case of he was just having a bad day. There is plenty of evidence from other people of this fact. So, while I'll always appreciate his work with muscular dystrophy, this is one celebrity death I will not weep over.
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think that was something that was vaguely hinted at with the Mr. Director character that showed up on Animaniacs. It was done more for laughs (and it did work, some of those episodes were hilarious) but they weren't afraid to jab at celebrities a bit in that show.

8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Don't care what he was like off-camera, he wasn't there to be entertaining 25 hours a day for fickle fans, he was there to do a job and that was it

It is because of attitudes like that (of the 'fans') you have so many comedians burning out way too early, you don't expect other types of performers to be 'on' all the time, but comedians are expected to be ready to perform at any time and any place (remember that scene from "Bad Santa" when the titular character was just attempting to have some lunch?)
  9. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

The point is, he was a dick to the people 24 hours a day. If it weren't for the fickle fans, these people would be bussing tables in Jersey somewhere. One particular incident I know of was at 6 Flags and a worker tried to introduce his kid to Jerry and Jerry told him to get that f'ing kid away from him. I've met several entertainers in very casual settings and they've been as accommodating as if they were in front of the camera. Jon Bon Jovi is one such guy. I remember being in the hallway near the locker rooms at the Wells Fargo Center in Philly waiting for post game interviews(when he was part owner of The Soul and back in the days when I wrote an online column for an Arena Football site) and we were just there chit chatting like old friends. He could have shrugged me off but he didn't and I won't forget that. And I've also met celebrities, mostly in the sports world, who were complete d-bags(Howard Eskin I'n looking at you). John Elway for one. But from what I've heard, Lewis took d-baggery to another level.
  10. Hamurabi Jones Committed Player

With the passing of Mr. Lewis, I wonder if we'll ever see The Day the Clown Cried make it to the screen ( big or small).
  11. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Wow! People have known what Lewis was like for decades, and they still pull this stunt?
  12. Wallachia Devoted Player

Truth be told, when my father travelled to Carmel, in California, he met Clint Eastwood, and they became sort of buddies. He talked to Mr. Eastwood everyday during the 2 weeks he was in there.

But then again, I also agree with DarkVisor. People know how Jerry Lewis was like and yet insisted on it. Maybe Lewis took dbaggery to a new level, maybe he did, but then again, people tend to act as if famous people were obligated to be their best friends.
  13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Or, worse, the celebrity owes them because if it wasn't for them (the fans) they (the celebrity) wouldn't be famous

By the way, not defending Mr Lewis
  14. Wallachia Devoted Player

Same. I can see what RockHound is saying, tho, but still.
  15. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Not best friend but at least be courteous. Like I said, if it weren't for fans none of these people would have been famous in the first place. And, yes, people are d-bags as well but Lewis would be that way unprovoked. It's like a politician. Can you imagine a politician going to a rally and blowing off those who came to see them?
  16. Hamurabi Jones Committed Player

Lest we forget:

Thanks to Gilbert Gottfried's insistence, I've seen this gem. Good stuff.
  17. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

What a botch! He signed her paper, but because he wouldn't talk to her nephew, and politely said he was late, she wished cancer on him? What. A. Faeces-sucking. BOTCH!!

As a write-up about his death said: "adored by many, disdained by others, but unquestionably a defining figure of American entertainment in the 20th century"
    • Like x 1