R&D confusion

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by thedemonocus, Jan 24, 2020.

1. thedemonocus Loyal Player

Just came back as a free player the other day,will start my sub up again if i decide to stay,right now just trying to relearn how to play. When i last played you collected exos made those into bigger exos and got some other things and made mods and i actually had a bunch of exo stacks ready to be made into mods but all were obsolete when i came back and now there's all these rocks and other weird stuff and i have no idea how to put any of it together into something useable so its just clogging up my inventory and quite frankly its a bit intimidating and making me a bit gun shy about end game stuff because its so confusing. How necessary is this stuff and is there some kind of premade mods you can get?
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

So ALL of that stuff is gone. Exobytes now drop from salvaging gear. There are generic exobytes that you can rank up at the R&D table with exo-material, exo material drops from the open world exobyte clusters. There are also stat (color) specific exobytes that give you bonus experience when you match them with the same color augments.

Equipment mods were replaced with Origin Augments, no more switching out old mods for better mods every episode. With augments all you do to keep them at max is feed them exobytes for experience.

There are also catalysts which are for various things mainly Artifacts and episode specific Augments (Adaptive Augments). If you're up to posting screenshots of your inventory or typing up a list I'm sure we could help get your inventory uncluttered.
    • Like x 2
  3. Brit Loyal Player

Crafting has been dramatically streamlined to be more user friendly. While previously you had to find a recipe, craft the mod, socket the mod into the piece of gear, and then when you got a new piece of gear in the slot you had to repeat the process.

Now, from your inventory, you will see a tab that is labeled Augments. You go there and assign the augments you want to wear. You'll pick 4 generic stat ones, based on what your role is. The tab right before the Augments is labeled something like "Fortification". You go there and select the augment that you want to level up. Then you feed it the crafting stuff and it just advances. No more recipes. No more crafting from scratch. No more replacing them every time you change a piece of gear. You just feed the exobytes to the augment and it advances bit by bit.

The other part of the "little rocks' that you are probably seeing is Nth Metal. It works like XP, the same way the exobytes do for the augments, except that the Nth Metal is what you will feed to your Artifacts. Artifacts are a new slot of gear that levels up as you put Nth Metal into it, so that the gear advances with you, instead of being something you just replace with a gear upgrade like most of the other slots. Artifacts are kind of a long-term, slow advancement. Eventually though, they can even do some neat new things with their abilities.

It's a lot to process at first, but once you fiddle with it, it's actually really intuitive. The intimidating part is mostly just when you find your inventory suddenly cluttered with all this stuff that you don't know what to use it for.
    • Like x 3
  4. thedemonocus Loyal Player

[IMG]
  5. inferno Loyal Player

here you go.

• Like x 1
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Those golden exobytes give your Augments a huge boost, whatever role you're going to playing most feed those exobytes into that: Mighty (PftT DPS), Precise (Weapon DPS), Dominating (Tank), Vital (Controller), Restoring (Healer).

Use the Nth Metal for your Artifacts only. Paradox Energy, Quantum Field Energy and Dionesium Catalysts are for your Artifact milestone breakthroughs. Keep those and if you need more talk to John Constantine in the WT/HoD. They close Source Marks. The Seals of Preservation are also for Artifact breakthroughs, if a breakthrough fails you lose your catalysts and the Seals protect your catalysts in case of failure.

That dark green catalyst towards the bottom, I can't tell what it is.
  7. Rainnifer Committed Player

That dark green one I believe is a Dormant Dark Spore catalyst from JLD which goes to the Dark Phylactery adaptive augments for that episode.

Also to the OP, make sure you use only one of those golden exobytes on each augment you level. You don't want to put more than one of them into the same one because you will waste the XP. Save the Nth Metal rocks for your artifacts only, trust me putting them into augments at any time is a waste.
    • Like x 2
  8. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Gear salvage should be fed into your origin augments. They are called exobytes but are not the same thing. There are color specific ones that give a bonus to like colors and gray ones. Your vault gear usually salvages to gray and the item level of gear salvages to a certain level. They also come in 3 qualities: flawed, solid and pristine. Flawed give the least amount of XP and pristine the most. If you get a solid precise exobyte but are not precision based, you can feed it into your might, or if you have a precision dps alt, transfer it to them via email. If you have a support role alt, transferring exobytes works great.

Lastly, gray exobytes can be improved throught the R&D station. You can not improve color coded exos. A flawed exobyte 11 can be crafted with 5 exo-materials into a solid exobyte 11. With 5 more exo-material it can be crafted into a pristine and is ready to use in your augments. Exo-materials are farmed in open world like the old exobits.
  9. thedemonocus Loyal Player

Question:
    When i get artifacts and i start feeding them are they for both roles or do i need a 2nd set of artifacts for my alt role? Cause if its for both roles than i assume i would want a might and restoration mix for my main cause hes sorc but if its separate when i switch armories than i assume i would want all might on the dps armory and all restoration on the healer armory?
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

It depends on which artifact. Some are recommended for one role, some are recommended for multiple or all roles. Which support role are you playing?
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think it's a matter of preference when it comes to artifacts and roles.

Artifacts will list what effects they will have and whether or not they have effects for both roles, so it's a matter of checking the artifacts. From there, you can decide which ones might work well for both roles or if you want to use separate artifacts for each role or loadout.

Personally I don't do a whole lot with multiple artifact combinations. The most I've done is having a Kryptonian-style loadout that includes Solar Amplifier instead of what I normally use for damage on my Earth character. Others will swear by using totally different artifact loadouts/combinations for armories or roles, so I think it comes down to experimenting and seeing what you are comfortable with.
  12. thedemonocus Loyal Player

I have many characters so really every role but for this conversation i'll just talk about my main that has an armory for healer role and an armory for dps role what i'm wondering is do i have to have 6 artifacts to run the 2 roles or can i just have 1 set of artifacts for both roles?
  13. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

There are many different artifact combos for Healer role, which powerset? I'll try to narrow down which ones would be better for you.
  14. Black Jaq Devoted Player

The nutshell answer is yes. Will you be maximizing your potential for either role? Maybe not.

I can make an argument for Transformation Card, SSC and EoG being valid for both roles for Electricity. It would be OK for Sorcery Healing with Arbiter but not help it's DPS much.

Omegahedron and Philosopher's Stone can technically be used for either role but you aren't helping your Restoration stats. Strategist Card can be used for both roles in conjunction with Transformation Card.

Certainly you could use Grimorium Verum in healer role, but it won't help your healing at all.