Question about Heartthrob/Heartbreak boxes

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dorn Cresh, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Dorn Cresh Active Player

Hey guys!

So according to the DC Universe Online wiki, these boxes contain pet trinkets that apparently have an item level of 10 - 191, depending on your current combat rating. Also, for the pet to attune to its maximum item level of 191, your current combat rating needs to be 217.

Does this mean that if I want the pet to reach its highest potential level that I need to wait until my combat rating is 217 before opening the box? Does opening the box before that CR leave the pet "locked" at a lower level?
  2. Jafin 10000 Post Club

The item level determine the stats that get applied directly to you by putting it in your trinket slot. The actual CR it summons at depends on your CR at the time you summon it, not the time you first open it. For example if you are CR 250 at the moment and you summon it then it will summon at (or just below, because pet CRs are a bit funky) CR 250. If you are CR 280 next week then when you summon it it will summon at CR 280 (or, again just below that).

If you are using a utility belt then it doesn't matter at all what CR you open it at because the utility belt stats will be applied to your character, not the trinket stats.

The buff the trinkets give you (5% health for Heartthrob and 246 Might for Heartbreak) do not change depending on the item level - they will always be the same regardless of if you open it at CR 40 or CR 191.

tl:dr: Open it at any level, it doesn't make a difference.
    • Like x 1
  3. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Unless you are not using a utility belt. If you are not using one (don't own the upgrade or sub), having a CR 40 vs CR 191 will make a difference in your overall CR. I'd guess 3 or 4 CR points like if you put on the Boo Belt which is CR 66 I believe.

Reinheld
    • Like x 2
  4. FoolsFire Devoted Player

I remember way back during the summer event was the first time they switched to having these in boxes.

People would buy two. One to use now and one to use once you hit CR 71(?) which would max it out.
  5. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Do you mean for example if you're CR 290, have no UB and pop in the 191 trinket it will drop your CR down a few points? True, but lowering your equipped CR (not your overall CR) does nothing to you. The actual stats are coming from whatever is in the trinket slot, not your CR.
    • Like x 1
  6. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Not sure if that's true or not. Case in point, if you are in an old raid boss fight (like a failed ToTD run or HoH where you forgot to bring the weapon in), and for whatever reason you need to wipe, the only way to do so sometimes is strip off your gear or the NPCs cant kill you...even some bosses. Your total CR is not changed, but your equipped CR is. Now stripping gear is a lot more than the 3 or 4 CR a low trinket will change your equipped CR, yes...but it's the same principle. You are as strong as the stats your gear and equipped CR give you (just talking gear, not artis or augments....those are obviously other stats to deal with). A lower level trinket with no UB will bring your CR and stats down, meaning yes...you are better off with a 191 vs a 40 if you have the choice. Not a TON better, but better, regardless of your overall CR.

Reinheld
    • Like x 1
  7. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Your CR going down is not what is causing you to die faster and wipe, it's losing the stats such as health and defense. CR itself means...nothing. It is just a number to indicate roughly what point of the game you're at. The stats you would lose out on by slotting in a 191 Heartthrob trinket instead of any other trinket are so minimal that you'd probably only be taking a tiny bit more damage/do a tiny bit less damage as opposed to if you had, for example, a level 255 trinket slotted in there.

You are totally right that 191 is better than 40, I don't argue that. But it's still not a massive leap or game changing by any means. And it only matters if you don't have a UB.
    • Like x 1
  8. Dorn Cresh Active Player

Haha I'm not sure I followed all of that!

I'm not really worried about lowering my equipped CR, or handicapping myself slightly by missing out on a stronger trinket. I'm just concerned that if I open the box when I'm at a low CR, will that forever lock the trinket to that level when it could have instead reached its max potential if I opened when I'm at a higher CR?

Jafin I know you said the buff remains the same regardless of trinket level, but how about the trinket's stats? I know you also said its CR will mirror mine whenever I summon it so that's good.

I don't own a utility belt, by the way. Although I might purchase one if it makes this whole issue redundant :)
    • Like x 1
  9. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Ok if you don't have the UB system then wait until you can open the trinket at maximum level, so you get slightly better stats out of it.

Whether or not you buy the utility belt system is up to you, but it's a very useful feature since it basically allows you to have four trinkets/consumables equipped instead of just one. That being said it reaches maximum potential if you also have the lair system, since you can get orbital strike, back up/sidekick and supply drop all on at the same time as well as a trinket. Utility belts always drop unattuned in new content so every time a new episode comes out you'll be able to get a better UB and never have to worry about the stats from your trinket.
    • Like x 2
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Side comment, If you are a premium player the utility belt (or better yet the 'gear up bundle' that also has the lair system and shield) is a very worth while investment. I think it's $5 bucks, the bundle is $10...sometimes less on sale, although probably not for a while now. Personally on all my premium accounts, it's what I buy to get to premium as (IMHO) it's the best return on investment. Base teleporter is a close second.

Reinheld
    • Like x 1
  11. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yes...I should not have said CR, but I was referring to the associated stats that go with the CR difference....agreed it's slight, and I'm not going to go buy 2 of these and open on 2 different toons to find out the difference...but there will be a difference. There is also the slight difference in your visible CR, which you can be judged on when entering a group, again, it would be slight.

We are saying the same thing I think. It wouldn't amount to much, but there would be a difference an yes, it's locked in when you open the trinket.

Reinheld
    • Like x 2
  12. Dorn Cresh Active Player

Right! Thanks so much for the concise answer on what seems to be a potentially confusing discussion :p I'll wait until I'm CR 217 to open the boxes.

Right now I'm subbed for a month but I don't plan to subscribe again until I need to hit the higher tiers I wouldn't have access to. Or until maybe an event happens that might tempt me to! I think I will however purchase the Utility Belt and Lair system. Thanks for the suggestion of the Gear Up Bundle, Reinheld! I already own the shield from purchasing The Last Laugh DLC years ago, so I'd have to calculate if it's still the more economical option :)
    • Like x 1
  13. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

It's not. $5 each for the UB and Lair=$10 or the gear up bundle which has all 3, but you don't need the shield is $10, so same difference. It is frustrating that you can't buy those now to take advantage of your 10% discount from being a member however. It would be nice to have a way to buy things that are temporarily 'granted' so you can prep for times when you are not a member.

Reinheld
    • Like x 1
  14. Dorn Cresh Active Player

Ahh right, I see. Yehhh I tried to purchase the lair system the other day only to find it was already marked as "granted". I guess they thought of everything lol [IMG]

Maybe I'll purchase other things that will persist beyond membership, like character slots, or bank space, to use my 10% discount.