Question about craft-able ring/weapon

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Black Dawn, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Hey hey all,

I'm sure that this has probably been discussed before however I was trying to explain the new stuff to my league mate and he said: "So, the stats between the ring to make and the ring you can buy do not have that big of a difference. But the ring you can make is 2 CR higher than the ring you buy. How does that effect DPS out and is it only important to DPS?"

I was unable to answer him. I don't know if the CR difference between the rings is important for just DPS or all roles. And I don't know how much those two points affect ones ability to deal damage enough to override the fact that the stats are not that much different. (Or and I misinformed about the stats? I read that there was only a difference of like 6 might etc)

Thanks for any explanation on this.
  2. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

The crafted ring shouldn't make a big difference over the vendor ring. The item level is higher, but it probably isn't enough to nudge your CR up and CR scaling is the biggest factor that touches all of your damage stats. Naturally, some players will go for the slightly higher numbers just to have them. I think the crafting effort is a bit much in this case.
    • Like x 4
  3. DCUO ENTHUSIAST Dedicated Player

There are people that can calculate CR much much better than I, that could tell u precisely which piece u would need, and which u can do without to reach max CR..

But, imo, max CR is most important for tanks, and DPS, as cr directly corresonds to damage u take in and damage u put out

Everthing in the game is based and scales to whatever the highest available CR is at the time...
  4. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Thank you so much for the reply. I was unsure about how it would affect CR.
    • Like x 1
  5. Remander Steadfast Player

Crafted rings and face will not raise your CR a whole CR point over the Vendor versions. The stat increase is negligible. There's no reason to craft these items, unless you've been lucky with drops and have the scraps to spare.
    • Like x 3
  6. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

The CR calculator is a good check too...
    http://www.odyssey-gaming.net/combatrating

If you increase the item level of 2 rings, it doesn't bump the CR up by a whole number.
    • Like x 1
  7. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Oh awesome, thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Oh thank you! I was looking for that thing, but I stink at online searches.
  8. Remander Steadfast Player

• Like x 1
  9. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

The RnD system seemed like such a good idea...until now. I mean what is the point of saving 12,000 scraps + 20 marks for the plan + however many marks one needs in order to buy those interface thingys when one could just buy a ring with just slightly lower stats and only cost like 25 MoV? Maybe this is the DEVS way of putting "best" gear in the vendor?

To be honest, I am happy about this. I can save my scraps for other items that I need (like the weapon maybe or styles I don't get) and I'll be able to go home and get my rings. Woot.
    • Like x 1
  10. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I agree. The amount of effort it takes to make a piece of R&D gear compared with the improvements it makes to your character pretty much kill the system off.

The best gear should be obtainable by R&D only. R&D should be reworked so that all released pieces of gear can be crafted within a month and have a significant boost over standard vendor gear and dropped gear.

This whole fallacy about how the hardest content should drop the best gear is a joke. Blackest Day and Demon's Plan have never been hard and they're even easier now, thanks to CR increases. Even the Elite versions. They don't deserve to reward the best gear for beating them yet currently they both drop the absolute best gear available currently.

Same logic applies to Bombshells Paradox and Desecrated Cathedral.
    • Like x 1
  11. Remander Steadfast Player

The thing is, R&D gear was always intended as a fill in for those who receive poor drops. The Devs were very clear about this. It's not an alternate pathway for gear production. I think it's no accident that the pieces they selected for "mandatory" crafting have a negligible effect on CR and stats. As I said, I think they should only be crafted by those who have no need to craft the more significant pieces. Recall that the main reason for the "mandatory" craftable items was to standardize loot tables across episodes. Weapon boxes were introduced for the same reason. It gives us 4 vendor, uncommon, and rare/elite items per episode.
  12. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Yeah. I always thought it was silly that it would take 6 weeks of average play to craft one piece of gear. It's mind boggling. I understand that the R&D route was not intended to replace the luck-based system (and to be honest, I've been pretty lucky in drops - not in scraps - extra elite gear giving me 6 scraps /cry), however I feel that the current system is far from ideal. Six weeks is an awful long time to work for one piece.

Being able to craft the best gear only (with reasonable requirements to obtain them) would be nice. I laugh whenever I see the argument that the best gear should only be drops since it means that one is able to beat the hardest content. No, it means you get lucky when you beat bosses. The hardest content is SM and it does not drop gear, only styles/trinkets/base items. Nor should SM ever drop gear, SM is meant to be a challenge and being able to bypass that would be beyond silly.
    • Like x 1
  13. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

I recall those discussions. I just don't agree with their choices.
    • Like x 1
  14. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

It should do, to be honest. The concept is solid. It works and it's satisfying to do. It's just out of range for many players at the minute due to numbers involved.

Adjust the numbers so it takes a solid 2 or 3 weeks of game play to achieve all available gear, enabling people who don't want to play consistently to take a break and also allowing those with off roles/alts to gear up too. Then make the gear you produce vastly superior to any other gear available so it's worth doing.

The current method of progression is completely backwards. Like you say, luck decides if your character gets stronger, not your effort or skill. Instances get weaker as time goes on, yet they still drop the best rewards.

Then there's the logic behind it, too. Why are we gearing up to beat instances we've already beaten many times over? Surely we should be gearing up to be able to beat them in the first place?

It's like if an episode of the Justice League TV show started with Superman beating Darkseid and is then given an item which makes him even stronger -> Intro video -> An even stronger Superman beats up the same strength Darkseid a second time, given more items to make him even stronger -> "To be continued -> Part 2: Beats up Darkseid a 3rd time, given another item which makes him stronger still -> Intro video -> The absolute strongest Superman beats up the same Darkseid from Part 1, even quicker and with even less effort -> Credits roll.

It just makes absolutely no sense and neither do the justifications for having the best gear drop from the hardest content.
    • Like x 2
  15. Remander Steadfast Player

Fair enough. Not saying I do either. ;)
    • Like x 1
  16. Remander Steadfast Player

Solid reasoning. The gear should improve your chances of beating content. The rewards for beating the content should really be outside of the gear system, IMO. If SP were more relevant, I'd say it should be SP, styles, and other rare items. I'm probably in the minority, though.
    • Like x 2
  17. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Just yesterday, I beat my first Round 10 of Survival Mode. No gear was given, my character isn't stronger.

All I got was a unique style, which I don't particularly like, but it's a symbol and statement of something I have achieved. I also have a title which states pricesly which Survival Mode I (partly) beat. I am more proud of owning these 2 items than I am of owning any piece of gear that I've ever earned as a random drop from content.

The best content doesn't need to reward progressive gear. All it needs to do is reward a symbol of excellence that only the best players will obtain and everyone will want to own it and try their best.

Additionally, they could throw in stuff like the tradable Nekron chest style, exclusive base items which only drop in that content and perhaps vanity pets/items such as a pet of a miniature Ion or a rainbow aura and there's instantly a reason to want to run and beat the content multiple times.

Currently, the drop off point for content is when it drops gear which is no longer relevant. There is no reason to run it, whatsoever, if it isn't dropping gear which will make you stronger. Is there a reason to run Bombshells Paradox or Unholy Matrimony any more? Nope. Which means the developers have spent all that time and money producing those instances which are now dead and not even half a year old. When you consider that every single episode includes 50% dead/useless content and factor in how irrelevant the relevant content becomes, you can see why it isn't a sustainable model.

All of this is caused by the fact that gear is distributed at random in one to three pieces content. Not earned through dedication to the game and effort in trying to get it over a range of instances.
    • Like x 2
  18. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

My understanding is if you get the raid gear for everything but the rings and facemask, making the gear or buying it will not impact your CR. You will achieve the same CR with made rings as you would with bought rings, this also applies to the facemask.

All other gear pieces does impact CR, therefore it is in the player's best interest to try to obtain the raid gear over the vendor gear (this applies for Tanks and DPS mostly as it has the biggest impact with CR differential). I believe the difference between a full vendor set and raid set is 148 or 149 vs. 151. I maybe off but it is around 2-3 CR difference.