PVP Phase Etiquette & Codes?

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by CCBatson, Feb 19, 2013.

1. CCBatson Dedicated Player

I'm still new with Open World PVP. I mostly go in to fly around, scout collections, and familiarize myself with the 'feel' of the phase. I actually like what I see, but I have been a bit baffled by something recently.

Most of the people who convinced me to give it a chance were a mix of heroes and villains who tend to act decently towards fellow players, tend to play their characters with a sense of 'honor' so to speak, and so I rather assumed that most of the community might be along those 'clubhouse' lines of courtesy and respect. Little things like saying "Good fight", bowing before or after a fight, just basically being friendly as a player even if characters are opposite factions, were all things I had been 'taught' when I started to experiment with PVP play, first back in Legends and now as I started I expand into open world PVP, I thought it might be similar.

Well, in Open World, I've met some good people on the opposing side. But I've noticed something that I just had to ask about here. A LOT of villains seem to like attacking from ambush. Some are apologetic about it afterwards in chat/tells, and say that's not their normal Mode, but they were acting more on opportunity to score mission kills. That's cool, I am not really surprised and I can kinda see their point. I decided for my part I would not have my character act that way, but I could respect that.

Then I started getting bushwhacked by multiple attackers. Sorta surprising. Again, some were apologetic about it, saying it was more of a shark frenzy of opportunity than a planned thing. I can still kinda relate. I wasn't mad, though a bit frustrated. I mean, I'm still building up and learning here, right?

I started being a bit more careful and considerate, I didn't bushwhack anyone or give hostile intentions unless I was sure and inspected gear to make sure I wasn't picking on anyone lower than me. I've just recently managed to earn my T3 PVP suit, so I know I'm a long way from being well-geared by PVP standards, but I also didn't want to attack anyone with less either. So mostly I've been watching, pacing and checking things at a distance with inspect and backing off when I felt inappropriate.

So here's this one example of my checking a pair of nearby villains, both in villain T3 armor equivalents to what I had. I'm not sure if they are with each other when I see them as they are not positioned like allies from what I can tell. But I decide discretion is the better part of valor, and decide to move along and leave. As I mosy away, Villain #1 then zooms in and lunges at me. I figure "It's on!" and begin to fight back. I'm doing better than I expected and seem to be winning. Then Villain #2 dives in and now I am against the ropes. Accomplices are out, and I'm being block-broken at the same time lunges are being timed at me. I knew it wasn't going to be a pretty end and I wasn't heartbroken about getting gacked, but I was intrigued and baffled at the same time.

This latest in a recent string of multiple-opponent ambushes made me wonder. Is there a 'code' or sense of etiquette at all in PVP? I had been led to believe that there was, when people talked about the PVP community and how they held themselves higher in comparison to PVE players. There was an implied sense of camaraderie and friendly rivalry that I had thought existed. And in fact, some of the chats and tells I had after losing, seemed to reinforce some of that impression. So I felt a little baffled. Is this a 'villain thang'? Am I just running into bad apples? What's the consensus on how you 'engage'? Is it a equal numbers thing? Are there no courtesies extended? What marks the superior PVP player in his or her conduct? What's seen as 'a good fight' and what's just kicking puppies?

I'd like to hear feedback and comments on this from the PVP community at large. Give me genuine insights here, if you can. Humor is welcome, but trolling will just be ignored.
  2. Captain Hail Level 30

Well there are 2 rules for anywhere outside of fightclub (sometimes this applies there also).
    1. Kill or be killed.
    2. If it's red it's dead.
  3. YodaDog New Player

I love Open World PvP... And many players do play with a sense of "honor," as you describe it.. But many, many more dont... Open World PvP is the Wild Wild West. Gotta take the good with the bad. Also helps to prowl around with friends. Then when you meet up with some dishonorable chaps, you can teach em a lesson. Now thats fun.
  4. Mr Sinister Well-Known Player

There are no rules, etiquette, or codes in open world pvp. Closest you can get is arranging a duel in a secluded area via versus chat.

edit: Yea Wild West is exactly the analogy I was looking for. Anything goes in open world. Arenas and duels are where certain BS is frowned upon if you respect your opponent.
  5. TheDark Devoted Player

When I go to open world in PvP phase I'm looking to kill people. Nothing personal, I'm just bord.

I'm definitely killing a chap if they're trying to get a collection or exobit.
  6. Yallander Loyal Player

There are times/places where players just disregard any sort of courtesies. Its more like the pirate's code than a written law tbh. There are some players that will jump you any chance they get and others who will /wave and go about their business. At times a league will attempt to attack a police station/night club for kicks. All in all the etiquette comes with how players interact AFTER such things. If I get jumped and sent packing, GG, respawn, back to business as usual--it is a PVP server so they have just as much right to attack me as I do them. Difference is that I choose in many cases not to attack until attack.
  7. xReverse xFlash New Player

There is no rulez in openworld pvp nor should there be.. If its RED its DEAD plain and simple. If ur a hero and ur outside ur po po station then i suggest you keep an eye on ur minimap cuz the gank could come at any time....
  8. YodaDog New Player

Yea, ^that too. Im all about some mutual respect and honor if the other guy is cool like that too. But I dont care who you are.. friend, leaguemate, whatever... You aint gettin that collection or exobit while Im still standing. XD
  9. xReverse xFlash New Player

In the last 3 days me and the WGz have ganked at least 400 heroes, i guess im one of those dishonurable chaps u speak of.....
  10. SuperGuy New Player

I agree with most of the chaps on this thread.. "if it's Red It's Dead" is the philosophy i live by. Take your beatings and learn from them is best i can recommend. I chase down every mobile red dot I see. Even on new toons, don't care if I am 24 chasing down a 30, I credit most of the PvP skill i have developed to that thought train. Now, im definitely not one of those guys who will sit and farm pointless K.Os in nubkin starting areas, but if i see you i will try to drop you at least once or twice.. the open world in PvP phase is pretty low population typically, the people hanging out in it are usually people like me or people that don't know better. Stick to it though, it is where the big boys play imo :cool:
  11. SuperGuy New Player

to really answer question though, there really is no honor among thieves..common courtesy with a bow occasionally, but that is just because they made t-baggin look awkward !!!
  12. Apostate Rising Dedicated Player

Robin: Holy molded cheese Batman, that man is robbing that bank! we need to stop him!
    Batman: Hold on now Boy Wonder, did you check his armor first?
    Robin: Check his armor, what do you mean? we need to stop him!
    Batman: Nope, he has clearly only been a villian for a few levels, we shouldn't do anything. He may call us bullies and scream about getting ganked in his own chat channel or complain on the forums....
    ...said no comic book, cartoon, or movie ever.
  13. Battle Man Committed Player

I never T-Bag.

But anything else goes out there, friendo.
  14. SuperGuy New Player

I will only "t-bag" or mock in any manner if it someone continually ganking in low lvl areas.. i feel playing big brother for the moment earns you the right! other than that it is a bow when i lose/win a duel or win any sort of Open pvp encouter. unless I win a 1v2+ then it is an evil laugh and a happy dance
  15. Drathmor Unwavering Player

thats excatly how I roll I can hang in a farm zone for hours on hero and villain and most people are cool and will wave and move on or just injore you. not all mind you but alot of them and I will almost never attack first the way I look at it as long as they dont desturb the nest they wont get the swarm but you come between me and a colection and its curtians i say!!! you will get jumped

as far as tea bagging is concerned only if you jump me and you die you get bagged or if a group of you jump me and all die you will get your button hit and bagged until you disapear
  16. BigAl Devoted Player

Open world is generally open season. I generally only react to attacks. And they generally run when I start laying waste to them and their friends. If you don't want a whoopin, go PvE. But, if you're a hero going PvP, make sure to shoot that Redhot guy on PC. :p
  17. Enickma Dedicated Player

There are no rules and no code in the PvP phase. You should expect to be attacked at all times.

And it's not a hero or villain thing, it's a player thing. Heroes gank, villains gank, whatever. It's a fighting world.
  18. CCBatson Dedicated Player

Very cool responses! Thanks so much for helping explain the situations. In regards to multiples versus singles, do people not care about that? Or is it more like cinematic one guys jumps in til he loses, then another, and so forth?

Also I feel stupid for asking this, but what is 't-bagging'?
  19. BigAl Devoted Player

At the risk of being censored...consider male anatomy. You dip a bag of tea into a cup of water. You dip this on your opponent to show that you have dominated them. If you want more detail, ask for a PM.
  20. Drathmor Unwavering Player

tea bagging is tapping block over someone on who is knocked out