In Progress PS5 Port Unplayable

Discussion in 'Arkham Asylum (Bug Reports)' started by Dark Nyghtwyng, Mar 26, 2024.

1. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

*Feedback on updated PS5 client*

*Inside Personal Base:
    Loading into game is noticeably a little faster.
    Doing my daily "house leprechaun" mission, the rendering is there, but the character (and npc) movement is 'choppy' at best. Everything is loaded quickly (for rendering) but the movement almost seems like it's skipping frames. Running full speed (with superspeed) also causes the movement in base to be more choppy.

*Open World:
    Loading is quick, rendering is quick, but just like the base, movement at full speed is very choppy. The more people in the phase, the worse it is. I switched phase to a low population phase, no issue with choppy movement, until I was heading back to mission hub to turn in my 3 daily missions (cursed Gotham). It's gonna be a hassle trying to do bounties on PS5 client, not even gonna try until a fix comes in.

*Solo mission (from current dlc), rendering was smooth, very quick loading. Not choppy unless I ran full speed. I open my daily reward boxes during cutscene, but navigating inventory and opening those boxes was extremely slow, and buggy/choppy. I didn't even get to select 2 items, because the lag locked me from being able to select. Boss fights were smooth, and fluid.

*Alert Cursed House of Mystery:
    Rendered and loaded quick. If more than a few adds got into the fight, it became choppy, but was still rendered, more like skipping frames, very bad. Responsiveness of button presses were also off/slow. I've been doing the combos for years, I have them and their clip speed mastered. That being said, when doing my combos, the response time on PS5 client was slow, and caused me to have to slow down my speed of input. Never had this issue on PS4 client, so I am certain it's it a client issue.

On a positive note, I played for roughly 2 hours straight after reset, logged in 4 characters, and did not disconnect once. No error code, no huge lag spike, and no system freeze. So you guys did, seemingly, make that part better (I can't speak for everyone).

*Conclusion:
    I'm not sure what, but something is causing what appears to be a frame rate issue when there's a lot of activity or fast movement from the character (or a high population in a phase). I kinda feel like the responsiveness of controls/buttons will fall into place correctly, once that bug is squashed. It felt as though the times I was having response issues on combo clipping, was during the choppy frame rate, which means it could've even been a server communication issue between passing data points, which would be strange because it doesn't do that on PS4. Perhaps priority in ports would fix that (in the network), I dunno, just snowballing an idea on that one.
    • Like x 1
  2. CGEMINI Well-Known Player

If they’re having a better experience then they’re lying because we all have the same update. I don’t understand the point of people up here lying about the frames not dropping, etc and got the devs thinking that the problem is fixed.
  3. XBARRYALLEN777 New Player

Good afternoon, any progress or update on when the terrible framerate will be fixed for the 4year past due ps5 port?
  4. MeesterZ New Player

Hello, thought about giving it a try again with the release of a PS5 client. But I must agree it is unplayable. Reallly laggy and sluggy at most times, making the experience unpleasant.
  5. Green Lantern Fadi Loyal Player

i tried an alert and couldnt even finish it . so laggy its crazy
  6. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I rarely post when I'm angry, but I'm on the verge of removing the game from my ps5 and just checking in here to see when it's fixed. I shouldn't be more agitated and frustrated in my leisure time than I am at work. When your game won't let me play for 15 minutes and I have to redo content 2-3 times to get my marks, your game is not worth my time

Fix it
  7. RTX Well-Known Player

I don´t have a PS5, but so far from what people have written, i see probable causes.

1. There might be an issue with max fps in relation to hertz rate (Users have "120 hertz output" activated on their PS5, and the game limits to 60, try with and without Vsync/unlimit)
    2. There might be an issue with MSAA, try to use FXAA instead (Isn´t the desired quality, but on 4k its more than enough anyway)
    3. There might be an issue within the code, causing the PS5 CPU to max out.

However, since i only saw video material and no screenshot or anything with my own eyes, i don´t know what else exactly been improved/increased/changed with the PS5 client.

One thing is for sure, it´s not an issue with to much load on the GPU this time, since people said they even expierence drops in an empty base (3D aspects: Amount of Models, Textures etc.) I mean, we already know about the performance problems in the 3D area and that it been the reason to shrink phases.

However still consider these steps for better performance in future content:
    1. Reduce the amount of draw calls (Combine non moving meshes/models, if needed for individual draw distance do atleast for the basic building/walls/ground mesh and go to step 2)
    2. Reduce the amount of textures (Batch them manuelly or with code or try reducing the overall amount by other methods) you might remove AO, Rough or Metal in certain areas where it doesn´t make a big improvement in quality. "Manuel batch" would be taking for example 4 textures the size of 512x512 and creating 1 in size of 1024x1024 instead, depending on how you process mesh UV´s. When talking about UV´s, make sure 1 Object/Model uses only 1 Texture in best case and dont have unused slots, UV´s are calculated without Textures loaded/applied.
    3. Static non moving meshes collision should be merged into 1 collision. (Example you have 1000 meshes with 1 collision each, merge them into 1 collision for all, make sure you dont have duplicates) I know its bad for editing, however just make sure you have backups from the seperate versions and it´s no more an issue. Doing that can reduce CPU load by 50% and above. (Also impacts Server performance)

No need to respond, just take it into account. Thanks.
  8. Gravedigger Active Player

Seems a bit dramatic to say unplayable, lag has been present for 13 years & will always be there. I’ve had no issues specific to the PS5, other than i cannot access the buff machine in league hall or i will instantly crash. As far as lag tho its really not that noticeable to me, but ive been here thru all the generations so im not expecting “its a ps5 game” im expecting “its dcuo” at least we aren’t falling off the map this time
  9. AerynDC Developer

US/EU Worlds
    Performance Improvements
    • PS5 client now supports Video Rendering Game Presets located in Settings/Saved Data and Game/App Settings/Game Presets. The Game must be re-launched to see the new settings:
      • Game Default: 1440p (2k)
      • Resolution Mode (Higher Graphic Quality): 2160p (4k)
      • Performance Mode (Higher Frame Rates): 1080p
  10. Siramez Well-Known Player

i have tested all 3 modes and i still experience fps drops in populated areas and when there are lots of animations playing. This did not fully fix the PS5 fps issue everyone is getting.
    • Like x 1
  11. CGEMINI Well-Known Player

This did nothing at all.
    • Like x 1
  12. I am Voodoo New Player

The same thing is happening to me. I was in the middle of the CHME elite alert on the last boss, and it disconnected me right away. It was not the Wi-Fi because imy PS5 usually lets me know this, and then I disconnect.
  13. Red Revan New Player

I thought all memberships and everything would carry over to PS5? This morning my membership didn't auto renew, and I can't access the in-game marketplace(just get an error) to buy another membership. I have contacted Playstation and Daybreak. There is no add on in the PlayStation store for purchasing a membership. I have searched on the PSN store and there is no option for a membership, just in game currency. I can't purchase it through the in-game marketplace, because I can't access it. When will this be fixed?
  14. Betleskisan New Player

Very few crashes here, but I will say, this has been about as bad a launch as a game can get: frame rate issues, armory bugs, completely broken marketplace...I don't know how much more I can take. I've been playing since Year 1, btw. Nevermind the "New Player" under my profile pic.