Please reduce (or possibly even remove) the Marks of Valor you get for a loss

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Hero of Justice, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Hero of Justice New Player

People who enter a match and then do absolutely nothing to just collect the free marks is something that has been picking up at an alarming pace for me as I play Legends PVP. I literally can't go more than a match or two without running into someone who comes out of the spawn area to avoid being kicked and just sits there. This was even more rampant on the Shadowlands where you didn't have to move a muscle, but it has moved to the Batcave as well. This has several serious issues:

1) It's a waste of time for people who queue for these matches expecting an actual fight, not free marks. And when it happens numerous time in one sitting the fustration starts mounting quickly. For people like me who have trouble with disconnects after Legends matches this waste of time is even more infuriating.

2) It lets people hop into Arenas with no idea what they are doing, as they can enter with good gear and not have used a single power or so much as lifted their weapon once.

3) It artificially boosts your Win/Loss ratio, giving you wins that you didn't earn at all besides simply being in the instance. I like facing off against as high levels of competition as possible, but I would prefer to get their by improving my ranking through actual skill, not just queing for Legends. And for newer people that experience can put you in an Arena-type disadvantage, only with level for skill instead of gear.

Because of this, I would propose either:

Significantly reducing the amounts of Marks of Valor you can earn in Legends. Players currently start off getting two Marks of Valor for a loss, I would either cut that in half and give you only one, and halve it again for each tier (only 5 Marks of Valor for losses, then 10). In this event the Marks of Legend would not be reduced as you only get 1 MOL for losing, it cannot be reduced without removing them entirely.

OR:

Make it so you can only get Marks of Valor in Arenas, and Marks of Legend in Legends. They are seperate aspects of PVP, and you can't get Marks of Legend in Arenas currently anyways, so I would eliminate the ability to grind Arenas currency in Legends.
    • Like x 2
  2. Volkenraider Loyal Player

Problem is people who actually want to gear up but don't have enough experience can go hours without earning any marks

They tried just awarding marks to the winners and it got a negative response If I remember correctly, just leave it as is

I know where your coming from but if you want to fight properly just scrim
    • Like x 12
  3. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Do not know how there would be a proper way to implement this.
    Countless games, people have quit on me after their first or second death. [Current record 9 in a row].
    Its even a bigger problem in Arenas. For some reason Arena PvP'ers seem to rage quit much more often then legends.
    I can understand being really undergeared but if you have higher gear then me and is spamming HT trinkets there is not excuse for you to quit..
    Lowering Valor would fix half of the problem, but would only lead to people not going into PvP more.
    • Like x 2
  4. Ice Lantern New Player

The problem is that if they gives out too few marks for losing many people would simply opt not to PvP at all. I doubt there's really a good solution for the devs, to be honest because such a small percentage of the population PvP regularly. If you really want a good match, find people to scrimmage with.
    • Like x 2
  5. Newsflash New Player

Can't agree with this. Removing marks for a loss would encourage more hacking and cheating as people became desperate to win.

Echoing the sentiments of everyone else in suggesting you try Scrimmage if you want a challenge.
    • Like x 1
  6. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Competitive scrims on USPC are dead so that's not exactly a solution here.

I'd love for something like this to be implemented as it would discourage farming, but I just don't know if there is a good way to implement something like this. I could see reducing them to a smaller number maybe to discourage it further though eve though that would bring up a whole other set of issues.

EDIT: How about something like this: You start off only getting a certain number of marks, however for every point your team scores, you get additional marks. That way it would encourage people to actually play the game and reward those who do.
    • Like x 3
  7. Owl Devoted Player

I would prefer that a change be implemented in the queuing system to never group you with a person on your Ignore list.

So if you ran with someone that did not contribute, you could place them in your Ignore list, and you would never be grouped with them again.
    Plus if everyone that ran with someone that did not contribute placed them in their Ignore list, that player would have much longer waits.
    • Like x 7
  8. Ice Lantern New Player

I was more talking about just scrimming with friends just for fun.
  9. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

This is just me, but even those can be hard to find. A lot of the crowd that actually gave me a challenge left post-GU36. Sabigya is pretty much the only person who is online often enough to give me a challenge.
  10. Sabigya Steadfast Player

:D. One more day till the horrid map's are gone.
    • Like x 1
  11. chubbychase New Player

For Legends:
    - Make it to where MoV does not scale with CR and remain at the same reward from 86 to 89
    - Make it to where MoL increases with CR but it rewards half of what arena's MoV rewards do (20/40 is way too much, even for arenas, since the cost for a legend is a lot less than for a piece a gear, the numbers should be adjusted)

I understand people using legends to get gear in order to experience and enjoy arenas, but I find that legends is too rewarding to a completely different battle map, and you end up with people that hardly understand cleanses, debuffs, and pis, their powerset, and the importance of different roles and each role's responsibility within arenas, simply because there isn't such thing in legends for the most part. What they learn in legends are the iconics' abilities, weapon sets, and the game's core combat mechanics. Everything else is introduced once they finally do arenas, whether it is CR86 or CR90. I understand this will be gone, but a lot of them are clueless about movement debuffs and pvp consumables at CR90, in addition to role debuffs and counter role benefits/disadvantages...So, where they blame it on gear for when they have no said gear early on, they have nothing to blame it on later down the road (which, thanks to the obscene amount of marks they can get in legends, is not that short a ride)...and they quit. They can either slowly earn MoV via legends, or earn faster MoV by playing arenas.

Arenas and Legends should not reward the same amount of MoV--that never made sense to me--especially when you can get 20/40 marks per match at 89; that is an insane amount of marks. I really think we're doing a disservice to players with the current system, it isn't helping them and I myself actually reverted my gear back to cash gear and queued up for 1v1s that way so I'd get more comfortable playing my power in arenas. The system would be more nurturing if the legend rewards for ARENA-suitable gear (currency) was reduced, in my humble opinion. I doubt they'll make it so, but there's a thought.

I assumed that this was how the system worked some time ago when I placed a leecher on ignore...then I got him again and ran both my palms down my face...
    • Like x 2
  12. Gale Reaper Dedicated Player

Increase marks for winning instead. Problem solved?
  13. Sabigya Steadfast Player

I can imagine people just ignoring players who are better than them so they face off against players who are bad.
    • Like x 1
  14. Owl Devoted Player

My intention was that someone on your Ignore list would never be grouped with you.
    It would not affect who your opponents are.
    • Like x 1
  15. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Just my two cents on this matter: Add an option in that will allow or disallow you to queue with/against people on your ignore list (keeps queue's fast). However if you add someone to your ignore list, you don't fight with or against them.

And Sabigya, the people who would be using this system would most likely not be any good in their own right either, so figure it could solve the problem of us getting stuck fighting against certain types of people as well.
  16. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Wait, That's already not a thing?.
  17. Hero of Justice New Player

I'd scrim you, but I haven't been on at the same time as you in a looong while. Plus I doubt I would fit the second condition of a challenge, either :p

Unfortunately my skills have stagnated as of late, not enough good matches/willing players for me to learn from. Add to that crappy internet and it's not a good combination for getting better. Mostly I stick to 1 v. 1's now and just cycle through my available Legends, with some work on baiting and counters mixed in (I'm still a step slow though, need more practice :) )
    • Like x 1
  18. Newsflash New Player

PC population is probably 1/3 what it was in 2013. Maybe avoid using top tier legends like Lex Luthor to challenge yourself a bit more.
  19. savageprime New Player

WOW! No.

OP and all who agree are showing your true lack of experience and time played in pvp. Not getting marks for competing was horrible. A very drawn out and long process to gear up.
    What exactly do you think will happen when you walk into a arena eother 1v1 or 4v4 and all you have is green cash gear so the other team farm kills you and causing you to lose.

Better yet in 1v1. How exactly do your propose leveling up?
    I literally had to have my league and friends carry me until I got good enough gear oh but wait not everyone has a league that pvps.

The addition of getting marks for losing and legends giving marks was a beautiful addition and it gave a push to pvp that was truly needed. Yes there are some bad things that come of it but moreso good. Removing marks is not productive in any way and I hope the devs dont even take the notion seriously.
    • Like x 1
  20. chubbychase New Player

While I agree with you on 4v4 (same tactic is used on 2v2 lairs, "prey on the weaker target"), I cannot say the same for 1v1...even more so on things like shadowlands and batcave. It is VERY possible to win 1v1 with cash gear if you bother to progressively mod your gear instead of half-assing your way through it. Not everyone you face in arenas with CR89/90 is a top tier player (if anything, arenas have crappier players than legends en-masse) and you CAN win against those people--this will be even more viable once home turf trinkets are gone. I'm not really sure I can agree with you when you say that the op and anyone who agrees with him are the ones showing lack of experience and time played in pvp...

This is coming from someone who came back to the game and found self to be leagueless, with an outdated pvp gear inferior to cash gear, and had next to no help getting from complete crap gear to CR90, 98% of that via PUG'ing... it does NOT take that long to gear up for pvp and this MMO is one of the few MMOs out there that makes it so where you don't have to have top gear to beat someone without being some "beast OP" player. Maybe, since you were carried by your league and friends, you don't realize how relatively easy and fast it is to grind up PvP gear. Then again, I'm on PC, so maybe there is a skill level difference between players of the two platforms. I wouldn't know the PS side of things.

With all that said, I am against completely removing the marks for losses, but if you are not playing the appropriate map, you should receive less of them.
    • Like x 1