Please advice me to a great action MMORPG with pvp

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Blazing Sun, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Blazing Sun New Player

As the title says I am looking for a great action-based MMORPG with pvp. I have decided if I find one I can finally leave dcuo. I am sorry but I for one am sick of watching the dev treat pvp in this game in such a horrible way. The pvp community has put up with the op pve items, the nerfs, messing with the targeting system, the immunities, the slow down of the pace of the fights due to immunities, the unbalance of the role system in pvp, the overhead animetion for blockbreakers and interrupts and the huge lag that came with the animation. After we suffered this and still faithfully pvped they dropped hometurf which fell like a nuke destroying arenas in its wake. Home turf with its unfair conversion, greater dependence on doing pve, sidekicks, henchmen and horrible new mods it has now become impossible to enjoy this game at all. Now I am seeking a new frontier to work hard on and forget the drama I experienced here. Please help!
  2. PaperGirl New Player

Oh yeah was funny when Jens andersen said everyone will like home turf in pvp , EVERYONE HATES IT ; EVERYONE.
    Good job SOE .
  3. NyteSkye New Player

I don't even like PvP'ing now with all this Home Turf stuff, and especially certain Sorcery users who use a certain devastating combo... But the devs said it's "working as intended" so it's whatever... But duels aren't fun anymore if I can't beat a Tank because he's using all his new toys from Home Turf...

Now, I'm not sure if you're on console or PC... But a friend of mine says on PS3 there is a game called Dust 514... I think it's still in Beta, you can download it off of the PSN store... Now, he tells me it's all PvP oriented... I don't know, I can't confirm that... But I've also been told by another friend it's buggy as hell... But hey, we're all still playing DC xD... Take my advice, go ahead, just don't take my word on it being full PvP... It IS an MMO though.
  4. SuperGuy New Player

I have tried Dust 514 and it is pretty awesome so far, Not a traditional MMO or even action MMORPG really, primarily it is a FPS MMO. Super sandbox style though, so think HALO with a really intense grind for Character building. Tons of options. if you are looking for something closer to DCUO id recomend Guildwars 2 or wait for ESO to hit.
  5. dbtenken New Player

TERA has one of the funnest combat systems of any mmo that I or my leaguemates have played. We would've stayed and kept playing if it weren't for the fact that we finished most everything in the game and new content was slow in coming. PvP there is fun and it's free for all open world on some servers. In addition they have arenas, and deathmatches where you can even bet in-game money on winners.

It just went free to play last month. You should try it out you may like it.
  6. Degarin New Player

I have to say this latest DLC has cost them my sub. When are developers gonna learn to keep anything PvE out of PvP. Home turf ruined arenas as far as I'm concerned, and is the reason I have canceled my sub, and will be moving on to another game.
  7. Blazing Sun New Player

I am sorry sir but your whole statement seems like you have some issues to resolve with yourself. I'm not sure if you had a dramatic experience as a low level character with a character destroying you when you were levelling up or something. But discussing and trying to find the root to your apparent hate to competitive game play is not what I am here to do, that responsibility I place on your psychologist or your old gym class that picked you last every class.

Anyway here are the facts pvp is ALOT harder than pve. Reason? Well let me elaborate for you. In pve you que up for your solo, alert or raid and fight your way through mobs then you get to the boss. Now everyone can admit fighting a boss is the hardest part of being a pve player and what most pve players strive for. While fighting this boss depending on your role you have certain duties which are really just repetitive and easy to teach to new players. As a controller you debuff the boss all at the same time watching everyone's power bar trying to keep those as full as you can. While doing so you are trying to not get too close to the the tank and all the aggro he is pulling so not much damage is coming your way. A reason why controller armour is light on the defence side of things.
    To contrast this in pvp a controller has the exact same job but this time his tank cannot protect him by taking aggro and he is focusing on the enemy healer instead of a boss. The controller now has to defend his self while doing his controller duties which in turn is constantly interrupted and slowed down by the enemy tank. On top of all this the controller has to listen to his tanks cry for pot to get rid of the debuffs he gained from the enemy healer. Combine all this with the controller having to utilize the game's combo mechanics and I'd say that is a whole lot harder than what he had to do in pvp.
    Now if you were a tank ( I actually think they do the most work especially fire and earth tanks) you have the difficult job of taking aggro, pulling mobs and bosses away from other players, rolling out of the way of large attacks every few seconds and keeping your own unique tank buffs up. As a tank your whole job is dependant on how well you use your powers to mitigate damage to stay alive for as long as you can.
    In pvp the tank loss the job of having to pull agro but now gains the tasks of cleansing his team of debuffs and attacking the enemy controller to stop them from giving their team pot and power. While doing this the tank has to be weary of the enemy's healer which is on the lookout for the tank to give him a beating and lower his tanking buffs making him vulnerable to enemy attacks until his controller cleanses him with a pot. The tank is doing all this while ,like the controller, he is utilising the game's combo mechanics.
    Now as a healer your duty in pve is quite simple. HEAL, HEAL and HEAL some more! Not much I can elaborate on there. The name explains it all. Oh wait I almost forgot, you have to stay out of the tanks way.
    In pvp the healers job is a lot more complicated because the tank can't take enemy focus away from them instead the enemy is specifically gunning for them. Now with the onslaught of enemy attack coming the healer's way the healer now has to kite ( run like a mother****er or stay way above the enemy) block when necessary, ask the tank to cleanse them of the debuffs the enemy controller gave them, debuff the enemy tank to stop get him out of the fight so your controller can debuff the enemy's healer.
    In my opinion when you combine all of this with both sides in a pvp battle having the human ability to adapt it isn't that easy to pvp and takes more of a painful grind to get more powerful. ( I honestly think you know that because if you didn't I know you wouldn't care what happens in arena because it is a easy grind to gain those pvp style feats after you just spent months grinding for your pve style feats) In pve the adapting ability isn't really there because as soon as a raid comes out the first person to beat it tells everyone the technique and from their everyone copies that one technique until there is a new patch ( this was proven with the kandaq and fos glitches to get back into the boss fights)

By the way the reason why we are complaining on what the devs are doing is because we have seen them take an ok thing and drive it into an unbearable and laggy shadow of its old self. We tried to adapt and we have but we are getting tired doing this.
  8. Blazing Sun New Player

Hmm. Not a huge fan of fps with mmo aspects but i'll try it out none the less. Thanks!
  9. Blazing Sun New Player

Thanks! I checked out some YouTube videos and it looks awesome. I'm going try it out right after I finish giving swtor a second try ( can't believe dcuo use to be so good it stop me from playing that game)
  10. Kroye Loyal Player

This person speaks for the entirety of the DCUO playerbase. Every one of us.
  11. Degarin New Player

Sadly before Home turf our league ran pre-mades all the time. Since Home turf none of our leagues PvP'ers even log in to play anymore. Very sad, that another game has been ruined by a bunch of brainless developers.
  12. Amarsir Well-Known Player

I just started last week and played up to 28, and I like what they've done with the combat compared to the traditional Eq/WoW model. But I don't think Tera holds a candle to DC's combat, sad to say. Aiming certainly adds a skill component but it still feels like plodding movement to position fixed rotations. (To be fair I'm also not a huge fan of traditional Fantasy.)

Not that anyone mentioned it, but Planetside 2 also disappointed me this year. It's more big-world fps than mmofps. I was hoping I might spend some lingering station cash over there later, but no thanks.

However, Defiance is supposed to come out in April, and it's by TrionWorlds, the only mmo publisher famous for GOOD customer service. So you might want to keep an eye out for that.