Player Progression is missing from DCUO

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Radioactive Spider, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Radioactive Spider New Player

As it stands, since the game was launched back in January 2011, the level cap has still remained at level 30. Once reaching level 30, you are no longer progressing your character with new abilities and or new superpowers (not becoming any more powerful). The player progression stops at level 30. According to the system that was put in place called Combat Ratings, Now you are on the hunt for better gear. It turns into a Gear Progression system with a goal of trying to achieve the best gear and not advancing your character with more powers and abilities. Many of the new casual players are not going to stick around in the long run with a Gear Progression system. You feel a sudden disconnect when it becomes more about the gear than about your character.

Raising the level cap was one of the things MANY people have been asking for since launch. This was not implemented for many reasons and im afraid caused this game to be considered lackluster towards many in the dcuo community. If the reason for not implementing is because they do not want to create a new open world with the current timeline they have, then why not add it to the game as a mechanic to progress with stuff we can already do in-game? For example, if u run a raid or any content after lvl 30, you get xp for completion. Would give people another reason to run content, not just for gear, but to PROGRESS their characters.

In short, there has been a lack of progression for your character in dcuo for a very long time. Now is the perfect time to introduce a leveling system after reaching level 30 for all content. Combat Ratings for gear progression was not the answer. Keeping the players glued to advancement of their personal characters is the answer. Skill points are added bonuses but not the real meat we are talking about here. People ask alot from this game for a reason, we expect it to be soo much more.
    • Like x 5
  2. winter13 New Player

You "progress" your character with gear and skill points after level 30. There is your answer :eek::cool:
    • Like x 12
  3. Ghostof91 New Player

[IMG] +1000 agree.
    • Like x 2
  4. Radioactive Spider New Player

these are added bonuses and do not affect your personal character with new abilities or powers. that is the player progression i am talking about.
    • Like x 3
  5. blazeing fire111 Devoted Player

-sigh-

Please tell me what is so fun in leveling up? I honestly do not see the fun in leveling up.
    • Like x 5
  6. Radioactive Spider New Player

advancing to the next level (higher rank) and earning new abilities, powers or unlocks, when reaching said level is fun.
    • Like x 1
  7. blazeing fire111 Devoted Player

So, you want more power points? We don't need more than 15. We can only use 6 powers at a time, so why do we need more than 15?
    • Like x 5
  8. TreePuncher New Player

To me CR seems like leveling up. Level thirty is like a gauntlet. You get the low CR thirties who are fresh compared to say the highest CR thirty player and there is a HUGE difference.
    • Like x 3
  9. Zim New Player

There is zero player progression in a game where you can go from 0 cr to 102 cr in a week.

Which is a major problem in my opinion.
    • Like x 4
  10. Liongale Dedicated Player

Leveling up doesn't match this kind of game past 30. Skill points do make you stronger, and leveling up is done through gear.

I think you are just referring to wanting to unlocking more powers. That could come in a different way in this game, not necessarily through leveling.
    • Like x 3
  11. Ghostof91 New Player

Correct Cr is leveling but only leveling up by gear means, the Op is suggestion there be enhancements to our character other than just gear.:rolleyes:
    • Like x 1
  12. Radioactive Spider New Player

I want to unlock special rewards (plasmic weapons anyone?), have access to new exclusive level features and make my character stronger without having to rely on just getting gear or skill points. The problem atm, is we are limited to what we can do or how we should spec, having more options opens up the game to a new level.
    • Like x 1
  13. Radioactive Spider New Player

exactly, more character enhancements and not hitting harder with stats per se. the character makes it personal, the gear and skill points make it an added bonus.
    • Like x 1
  14. Radioactive Spider New Player

there is a reason people don't stick around long. it is because of the "Gear Progression" 0-103cr in a week it takes, it does not fulfill advancement of the character and keeping you glued to hitting the next highest rank like "Player Progression" does.
    • Like x 1
  15. Ch3wtobacco New Player

combat ratings was made up by CURRENT DEVs not the originals..not the UPPER 2/3rds of devs that were FIRED in feb 2011 one fricken month into a major mmo...blame soe for THAT...right now the DEVS we have now are the minimum wage ones we had back THEN

dcuo now is a result more of corporate cost accounting than actual talent...you can see this in the number of blatant and recurring bugs in this game
    • Like x 1
  16. Ava1Spade New Player

I don't consider this to be factually correct.

The only thing you don't get more of are powers. And you don't need any more. You have 6 slots available on a loadout. Your existing powers become more powerful as you increase your stats.

You do get more abilities, as you get more skill points. You do get more abilities, as you get higher gear.

It seems to me you are looking for super-superpowers not available at levels lower than 30.

To that (be it the case) I say, "You need to learn the mechanics of what already have."
  17. MCAZR New Player

So OP, what are you proposing? 16 power points at level 35? Personally, I would want the ability to spec into a second power after level 30 but then respec token and feat buying income would go down drastically.
  18. Radioactive Spider New Player

in most other games out there, Gear Progression (combat rating) is second to Player Advancements. this was an odd decision to make gear progression be the main attraction. unfortunately, they cannot change skill points to make it more of a player advancement now because they are tied to Feats which give you added bonuses with enough skill points.
    • Like x 3
  19. Ch3wtobacco New Player

personally even after 3 years I have to believe much of the game still remains black box to the current devs...every new DLC sees them sweeping back the ocean with a broom as far as bugs are concerned...and its only is getting worse with each new dlc
    • Like x 2
  20. Radioactive Spider New Player

you hit harder yes but your "personal" character stays the same. the character progression i am talking about has nothing to do with gear or skill points as they are not going to make you any more powerful than adding stats. i don't understand why people have a hard time understanding Gear Progression (combat rating) Stat Progression (skill points) and finally "Player Progression" (leveling, player advancements).
    • Like x 2