phantom blast spam

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by baph, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giggles Loyal Player

I should have been more specific than I already was. I'm not saying any finisher is 60%. I am saying that Gadgets is the only set that does not have a 60% move. Which is why I believe Photon is what it is, to compensate for the lack of a 60% move. I don't spam Photon Blast so I could really care less what happens. I don't care what the devs decide I will adapt as I always do, I just don't like when misinformed people try to make comments about things that they do not understand.

I personally would love a shorter power duration and two ticks of burst damage. I just feel it would put Gadgets over the top. Before anyone says I am only favoring it because I play gadgets, I was one of the first people back in the day for an NN adjustment. I'm all for balance, I just do not feel it is broken. I beat many Photon spammers easily, I think it is a lack of proper timing that you are all having issues with.

You know why Photon works the way it does? It has no PI like all the others. For example, Terrorize does more damage and stuns when people are hit with terror prior. Tachyon Blast does more damage when they are polarized and stuns (I believe that is the correct PI, been a while since I used my quantum). Impailing thorns speards poison and stuns. All other finishers work off of some kind of PI. So I don't really see an issue, other than people complaining they can't react fast enough to stop it. It is definitely an issue on the end of those complaining right now. Plain and simple.
  2. Massah Committed Player

If you tap R1 (breakout) you are still vulnerable to Block Breakers even while performing another attack (shows Shield above head)

Gadgets clips BB with Photon if you lunge them it does not knock them down as the Empowered Channeling MOD over-rides the clipped Block-Breaker which was countered and thus you lunge into the Photon Blast - usually with Bad results. I said the issue comes with the combination of NN, sticky Bomb and the faster melee weapons - I used 1-hand as an example because if they lunge you with NN up they can clip the lunge landing with sticky bomb - which you'll still be blocking to not receive the damage from NN & Sticky Bomb at which point they throw BB and clip that BB with Photon Blast. IF you try to soda thru it you are now getting hit by a spin chop (juggled) into Photon Blast again. On the USPS3 tested at 3:30pm Pacific Time today - both Distract and Energy Shield are grayed out when a Pushback happens - so you cannot pop these two shields as Gadgets while getting hit by an opponent's Photon Blast, Unstoppable, Flux, Shatter Restraints, etc... Other powersets may have a shield that does not get grayed out but on USPS3 some of the usable while controlled moves(including Shields like Distract or Grandeur) that normally are able to get popped are grayed out during pushbacks or in PVE during the initial pull or pushback like Bombs from Spiders or the Swooping swirl pull...you cannot pop the shield immediately the initial affect occurs and then you can pop the power.

I agree Photon is not OP- in my personal opinion the Perma-stun from a combined Mental Terror+ Menace is more of an issue ...to the point that it can have me or my opponents (when I'm Mental) falling thru the floor or Panic running thru walls. You are unable to use a PvP trinket to counter and if the actual Perma-stun is landed you also are unable to drink a cola or enter the start menu all you can do is twirl your character around. (Much like the weird stun about using a Breakout in Snowman form)
    • Like x 2
  3. Karasawa Loyal Player

No finisher requires a PI to do more damage. Tachyon Blast isn't a finisher it's just the standard cast time AoE. I don't know anyone who uses the cast time AoEs in pvp so the 60% modifier isn't really a factor for arenas.

I think instead of trying to justify it you should just accept that photon blast is really good and be glad that you have it.
  4. Purple Ace New Player

Yeah, I doubt that happens. Great point though, anyone using the argument of the 60% modifier needs to realize those are completely useless in pvp.
  5. shiny mackerel Committed Player

w t f
    • Like x 2
  6. Giggles Loyal Player

Not about requiring a PI. The fact is they have the potential to do more damage based on PI's is what I am talking about. I think you missed what I was saying. Again as I said I haven't been on my quantum guy in a long while. I don't remember the name of their finisher but you know what I am talking about in principal, the name of the move is energy expulsion by the way. The names of the moves do matter, the point I am making is what matters. That point is other finishers damage can be boosted by PIs whereas Photon Blast does not work as a PI or with other PIs. All finishers have a stun mechanic.

I never said it was bad or good. All I am saying is that it is not broken as people are claiming. It is just a few people upset they getting beat by finishers. Photon being the easiest finisher to defend against due to how the damage comes in ticks and not burst.

@Purple Ace

The move works in both PvE and PvP. When something is changed it effects both PvE and PvP. A move should not be changed because people are having trouble reacting to the move. The fact is Gadgets as a whole does not have a 60% modifier nor does it have the ability to increase the potential damage of Photon Blast from the finisher with a PI like the other sets do. That is why Photon works the way it does. Deal with it.
  7. Radium Devoted Player

No 35% Finishers damage can be boosted by a PI. Fire's produces a Burning PI I believe, Natures might inflict a poison DoT., but nothing else after that. Finishers are there own things that having nothing working into them, only a select few that have things working out of them.
  8. Aqua New Player

There is no way to defend against photon unless
    (a) you were lucky enough to be blocking before it hit or
    (b) you're God and know exactly what and when another player is going to do something ALL the time

Don't say you can just spam block when you get close to 35% in group pvp that bb coming is inevitable and you will eat a photon.
    Can't lunge them out if it either thanks to Home Turf; the hand mods are one of the permanent one time payment ones too I believe.

The relevant issue isn't the overall damage it does as most 35'ers do about the same, so that whole affecting pve thing is irrelevant.

The issue is that it stuns players so that they can't react by breaking out and blocking (no point lunging due to hand mod,) as most times you can't break out of the stun. Making photon the best finisher out of every powerset.

Oh and celestial and HL don't have a 60% move either, or a photon.
  9. Radium Devoted Player

The hands and chest are the boost 2s, they made them expensive because god knows those 2 mods can be awesome.
  10. BadHansel New Player

Wow, thank you for the hint. As a new gadget-player I didn't know this power.

Its awesome, really out of line, but a good tip for an easy win!
  11. TheDark Devoted Player

I don't understand how members of a "PvP" league only crowd do not understand how to defend against this power's stun, realize its a mod that bothers them, or even have the common the sense to register that any power that's spammed can be a problem. I mean you guys pvp all day. it doesnt hit you? Specifics have been repeated over and over in this thread. Some of you need to stop listening to your in game buddies, who clearly don't understand and go by what they "feel," and listen to the POV of players who are just smarter and can prove it.

I think it's a good idea for anyone who cries nerf, which is against forums rules, to actually read this whole thread. Every single person coming in here complaining about this finisher has not had detailed and reasonable opposition. no one complaining even has an indepth understanding of how this power works and the differences with the other finishers let alone realize the variation powers have. Every one of you can't even agree on one reason. Your complaints are all over the place.

There is a reason why the smarter players (the ones who actually know how to test and interpret differences) see why this power is not "OP."
  12. Purple Ace New Player

The forums are the reason why the skill level of players in this game has dropped off dramatically. Interpret that how you will.
  13. TheDark Devoted Player

That will always be considered one thing. An opinion.
    I'm sure there are many that would say the f2p is the reason the skill level dropped. Obviously an increase of players playing an mmo for the first time on ps3 is going to have their skill quality level low compared to the games they are used to playing. (Cod).

The forums is why there are good players. Not every person playing this game Knows about this site and only those with a high reading comprehension level will benefit. The best players with the greatest knowledge are not bred through competitive PvP only or stictly pvp for that matter. I'm proof of that.

As I said, I've played with leagues who participate in your 5v5 crowd when they ran pve content. Almost all of the ones i ran into have basic understand of how powers work or mechanics in regards to poT or aggro. I actually pointed out to you the error in your best gadget burst combo. You're one of the so called best players right? But you weren't even aware intimidation proc'd with PB, and along with GG gave you the best burst combo.

Saying the forums is why the skill level dropped is one o the stupidest things anyone could say (That is not a personal attack. It applies to anyone). Every base or branch of communication is going to have BOTH good and bad & smart and dumb input. That's just a fact.
  14. SOE-MOD-19 New Player

Thread locked.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.