[PC] Keyboard/mouse and Alerts

Discussion in 'Game Support' started by TazD579, Feb 17, 2013.

1. TazD579 New Player

I'm trying to enter an instance using a keyboard/mouse. When I open the On Duty menu, I select the Alerts I would like to participate in, select my role(s) when it tells me to, and then click the Ready box. If I'm lucky, a box will pop-up instantly, telling what my given role is and to click Ok [Enter] to enter the instance and all is honky-dory.

If I'm not, it tells me that my queue is processing, at which point I close On Duty and go about my business. Eventually, and icon pops up that say "F1", and it says something in the chat box to the effect of "your instance is ready - enter via the Quick Menu". Pressing F1 opens the Quick Actions menu list, which is useless for getting into an Alert. Players have told me to press Y, which opens the On Duty menu where nothing has changed. There is no new button to click, and the other box does not pop-up. I can uncheck and recheck the Ready box, which occasionally gives me to option to Update the Queue, but it does not let me enter the instance. After being frustrated for about 2 minutes, the game eventually tells me that I was removed from the queue because *I* did not respond fast enough. It is difficult for me to respond when I don't know how and there's no option available.

Someone please help! What am I doing wrong? What am I missing?
  2. Weapon7ProForumTyrant New Player

May the Force be with you.
  3. Jockin Jay Well-Known Player

You press F1 > Select the name of the instance > Press enter

or Press F1 then pres Enter Twice
  4. TazD579 New Player

Again, F1 only opens the Quick Actions menu, but if F1 is supposed to open On Duty, I'll try Y > Enter > Enter.
  5. Jockin Jay Well-Known Player

F1 is supposed to open Quick Actions menu, You enter the instance thru the quick actions menu when it is ready.
  6. TazD579 New Player

Ahh, did not realize that a) the Quick Menu (as it says in the chat box) and Quick Actions menu were the same thing, and b) and that it changes when there's an instance available. I thought all Quick Actions lists is your abilities. No one bothered to point out that the window is dynamic. Oddly, F1 only opens the window on occasion. Thank for the help!
  7. TazD579 New Player

8. TazD579 New Player

And Weapon7, thanks for trolling and basically not being helpful AT ALL. Go to SWTOR with your Force.
  9. xXMDKXx New Player

Well im new to the PC side but once you Q for the instance and then shows the safe icon You do want to hit the F1 key this is telling the game that you are ready to enter. The problem is if someone who is Qd for that instance doesn't use the F1 and hit yes the search starts all over. This doesnt mean you have to re-Q just whenever it says your instance is ready just hit the F1 and say yes again. If you look in your chat display sometimes you'll see "a player has declined" So the game is looking for another player that is ready to go in. Also once you do say yes it doesn't mean you will get into that instance immediately but you shouldn't have to wait more than 5-10 mins as long as the chat doesn't say a player has declined. Today is my first time on the PC version I've noticed I felt more at ease once I hooked my xbox controller up to play. If you do have a xbox controller all you do is press the up direction pad when it alerts you for the instance
  10. Death Throe New Player

Ah come on man! That was funny. If you don't have a sense of humor about yourself when dealing with something as unimportant as a game you're going to have a bad time in life. Words to live by my friend.

[IMG]
  11. TazD579 New Player

I can't get a controller to work, so I've been stuck having to learn to play with the keyboard and mouse. This problem has been frustrating me for over two weeks, and no one had been able to give me a precise answer. A game is supposed to be enjoyable, not irritating. I didn't come to tech support for a laugh. I came for an answer. To say that was the first answer given was even more annoying.

Considering I, nor any one else playing this game has access to the Force, it's not very supportive. And considering no one in the game has the Force either, it's even LESS funny. I may have laughed if this was the SWTOR forum... but it's not. =/
  12. TazD579 New Player

I know it's much easier with a controller; I played on PS3 months ago. I tried to connect my PS3 controller and found drivers to make it work; the PC recognizes the controller, but the game does not. I went out and bought a PC controller today. Same thing there as well. At least now I can get into an instance using the keyboard when it's available.
  13. Death Throe New Player

[IMG]
  14. Crossknight New Player

Make sure to install the latest drivers from the Company's website, as those that come on any type of disk with the product may be out of date, or even try using a generic USB controller driver for your version of windows.

Also, I know it would be $10 more you'd be out, but as a last resort, try a program called Xpadder. I'm not trying to endorse another company's product per se, but this program allows you to setup and customize your PC/PS3/360 controller's buttons to correspond to keys and mouse clicks (what your drivers are supposed to do, but apparently aren't).