Overclocked graphics.

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Ilunis, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Ilunis Dedicated Player

O hai, errr body.

So, I'm sure a couple of you chuckled at my woes with my laptop. That's okay, I did too. I decided to take the plunge and get a gaming desktop. Here's my issue: it comes with an overclocked Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2gb card. I would love to hear from a green on this one: do I risk getting banned by using this? I have no plans to exploit any settings on the card. I have been here since launch on USPC (Svantus, Sabrechill, Jester Saint, etc...) and have enjoyed being clean when it comes to my record of fair play. I may curse, I may be a jerk sometimes, but I have never been a cheater (except for this one ex-girlfriend). If a dev or one of our awesome TSRs (you know who you are) could chime in, I'd appreciate it.
    • Like x 1
  2. NexGen New Player

An overclocked graphics card means that the gpu is running at a higher than base frequency. It's the same 660gpu with a higher clockrate.

This is not giving you any in game advantage - it simply refers to how much processing your gpu is doing, or the power of your card. It will not translate to any illegal in game advantage whatsoever.
    • Like x 2
  3. Ilunis Dedicated Player

Good deal. I want any advantage I get to be based on skill (what little of it I have) and just want my ducks in a row for the first time I sign in on my new workhorse/toy/reason to give up my Xbawx.
    • Like x 1
  4. NexGen New Player

Additionally, there are no gpu settings you could exploit to give you an illegal in game advantage even if you intended to.
  5. NexGen New Player

The only advantage you'd have from hardware over others is (and this is not illegal) if they have weak hardware and get frameloss while yoir shiny new card doesn't suffer from that. You might be a hair quicker to respond in pvp, but this is just the nature of pc hardware. 60+ fps is nice compared to someone who has dipped to 10-15.
  6. Ilunis Dedicated Player

I have to admit that it will be nice to not be sitting there while my card catches up to what is going on (on GOOD internet nights is was doing this). Thank you for the info.
  7. petvpets New Player

Sorry I am not a green name -

I have an over clocked 670 (same card basically) and its been fine with dcuo in this pc that I am on (now) often for games and dcuo, never had an issue and it wont be an issue. It is nice to see fraps recording at well over 200 fps without any lag whilst playing a premade vs premade battle.

Kids who get caught for cheating etc try to deflect and bs the blame to something unimaginable, remember this is a teen rated game, so there will be more kids then normal people, what I am getting at kids tend to be more liberal with the game and really try 1000 times as hard to deflect blame for their actions and try to manipulate people to their way of thinking.

But I will not stand for the BS that they/hackers have tried to post on here saying to reformat their machines, a virus, chat overlays, over clocking hardware as the reasons why they were banned in the first place, 8/10 times their posts are filled with so much "hate speech" it's any wonder if they are like this, they were probably a lot worse in game and got banned for that.

You think with my crappy 300ms lag form playing in Australia on US servers, with my over clocked equipment it would have gotten me banned a long long time ago, I even know I have malware and viruses on one pc that STILL lets me play dcuo on it go figure eh. That is my testing rig to make sure DCUO is still resilient to cheats as soon as they are released to which I test and report back to SOE. Get this, if I create a new account on that pc that has all the wrong software on it, its OC etc, and if I don't activate it guess what happens ??? nothing, nothing at all. The moment I activate them for use in game, I don't see that account last more than a few days. Ironic isn't it..............so I keep up to date with those forums/sites that make new dcuo hacks to report to soe the moment they are released. But yeah as far as OC gear is concerned as a reason to be banned... LOL false.

I have done the tests in regards to what people cry about on the forums and know what its capable of, no one will tell me or try and persuade me different with this practical knowledge, time and resources to keep this game FAIR, and that's all I want.

soe needs to stop the simple macros from working to be honest, you know the ones where a simple one is created to clip BB. No one is that good at BB when this is OBVIOUSLY being used.

tldr

no its fine. I am just putting it out there again so people know better, not to pick on anyone.

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  8. Ilunis Dedicated Player

That is one of the easiest to read walls of text ever. Also, thank you for the post.
  9. blklightning New Player

I have the Nvidia 680m in my laptop. At the time I ordered it, last August, it was rated the most powerful mobile GPU on the market [on par, slightly better, slightly worse than the AMD 7970(?)]. Aside from smoother, faster frame rates, the GPU will provide you no in-game advantages. Others, on lower GPU's suffer disadvantages in lower frame rates and loss of smooth movement and camera panning. That is their loss, not your advantage.

Since I started this game, last December, I maxed out the in-game video settings, but did nothing within the GPU itself. Recently, I went into the Nvidia Control Panel and had it override any anti-aliasing settings within the game itself. My override setting is 16x CSAA. I also set "Texture Filtering - Quality" to High Quality.

Oh Mah Gawd! The game looks fantastic with these settings. Better detail than offered in game. It's really interesting to capture a video of game play using FRAPS and compare it to what you actually saw when you played. It is my assumption that FRAPS captures the game puts out... NOT the image that is a result of the post processing from your GPU.

Push that GPU as far as you can go. It should be able to chew this game up and spit it out.
    • Like x 1
  10. jrtrpr New Player

------how do you do this when the game runs off steam? do i have to put these settings in from steam exe? dc online windows client?
  11. blklightning New Player

Should be the exact same process, except that you'll have to navigate to the correct Steam subfolder to add them game into the NVIDIA Control Panel.

I did also have to turn AA down from 16 to 8.
  12. jrtrpr New Player

thnx bro
  13. Rickajamesbeeoch New Player

glad that I found this thread, even though I don't overclock my card, ( runs the game at more fps than I can see on my monitors ) but I used Blklightnings settings and I do see a difference. thanks for the post
    • Like x 1
  14. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Ooooh I can't wait to get home and fiddle with my Nvidia settings! I have a GT540M with 2GB of graphics memory and while I have no complaints about the game's graphics whatsoever (aside from maybe giving us PC users higher resolution textures) I would love to see if changing the settings in the control panel will give me an even better experience.

After over 2 years on this game I randomly saw someone talking in Shout about turning off Vsync in the ingame settings and when I did my mind was blown at how smooth the frame rate had turned, even though I never had a complaint about frame rate up until that point.

Thanks!