Only healers?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Version San Diego, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Version San Diego Active Player

Certain powers for healers have reduced damage but heals allies/group in healer role. Trolls do not deal reduced damage on powers that debuff or stun. Tanks do not deal reduced damage on powers that pull or knockdown. Should this be removed for healers? Should it stay the same? Should other supports have this imposed on them? Opinions and comments please.
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Trolls and healers have reduced damage. Tanks do not. Personally I think the damage reduction should be removed.
    • Like x 1
  3. Tilz Loyal Player

I think trolls don't have any damage penalty for being in troll role, but not 100% sure.

Yes healers have a 35% damage penalty i think. It really sucks.. all the other support roles don't suffer in damage from that. Healers do.. doesn't make sense
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I think we would see more trolls out damage tanks if they didn't.
  5. Tilz Loyal Player

Trolls are more ranged and use less damage/high-damage abilities i guess.
    Tanks like earth/atomic are right into melee combat with their strong melee damage.
    I'll jump on my HL char later the day and see if there is any difference in damage when i change between dps/troll.
  6. AberrantAngel Committed Player

Pretty sure trolls do not have a damage reduction like healers. You would see trolls do more damage consistently if they were not constantly having to recharge the group.
    Why healers are the only one with the big damage reduction I Judy don't get it. A lot of the heals in the power trees do not do any damage, so why reduce the ones that do.?
  7. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Trolls don't have a damage penalty.
  8. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Trolls can out damage tanks, but your SP would need to be high.

Honestly, the reason tanks will continue to out dps all other roles is the power consumption. My atomic tank can run any power I want and never run dry. It's littlerally non stop damage. Trolls have to recharge the group and use shields.

It is possible, especially with the troll trinket with three debuffs, to be a decent battle troll. I think only munitions and quantum can pull it off, the best.
  9. Mazahs Loyal Player

Yeah, they really do need to get rid of dmg penalt for healers, or bring it back for all. It makes zero sense
    In response to your last sentence - not running a "battle type build with gear and Sp allocated full troller" Quantum & Muni can, but Gadgets is by far the strongest in this capability. I would assume Light can to a lesser extent but haven't seen a Mental do it yet.

I routinely beat Atomic and Earth tanks running this way and keep groups pretty much fully juiced
  10. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I've been preaching about this since Revamp testing and honestly just gave up. Makes no sense at all why it's only there for healers.
    • Like x 2
  11. velvetsanity Loyal Player

The *only* reason I can think of is “Raven’s the best-known magical healer in the comics and she avoids hurting people”. Which is a pretty lame reason, given *why* she avoids it (empath, plus it opens the door for Trigon to gain influence over her).

Or maybe the thinking behind it is related to the Hippocratic Oath...also lame, given that doctors don’t regularly find themselves in a fight, plus combat medics carry sidearms on the battlefield to protect themselves despite their noncombatant status.
  12. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

The only conclusion I've come to on this. They don't want this role to be able to do damage and heal. I really can't think, nor see, a reason for a damage penalty to any roles.
    • Like x 1
  13. WesPypes3679 Committed Player

There should be no penalty for damage for any support role. It should be rewarding to those who have the sp to fill neccessary support role stats and have sp left over to add damage. I for one probably couldnt be as viable with 244sp, but ai think its only fair to those that have grinded out feats. Just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

If you're one of those DPS who think they should do more damage by default, sorry not sorry.
    • Like x 4
  14. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Yeah, despite this thread nothing will change and I'm done waiting for it to. All of the concerns testers had are all resurfacing as general complaints, and seems like nothing will be done about it. At this point it's beating a dead horse just like weapons and trolls.
    • Like x 3
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

They could at least make an exception for weapons damage, I already have to hit things to keep power up.
  16. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Weapons don't receive a damage penalty, just powers that both heal and do damage receive a 50% penalty
  17. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Oh I thought that applied to all damage out. Weapons still needs a buff tho.
  18. Knarlydude Loyal Player

There are really only three words as to why.
    The Holy Trinity:)
    One common design in MMORPGs is the "holy trinity" of class roles: Tank, Healer, and DPS (or damage dealers). As most games are about combat, these roles are about how damage is handled: Tanks can mitigate incoming damage from enemies, healers restore damage done from enemies, and DPS classes do damage to enemies.

Characters often require specialization: a superb healing class may not be able to do good damage without a significant change that hurts healing ability, or they will often not want to do damage because they need to save their resources for healing others. This trinity of classes forms the basis for most group-based encounters in a game.

There are other roles of characters possible in these types of games. For example, "crowd control" (CC) classes can temporarily take enemies out of the combat, and "buffer" classes can use abilities that enhance the abilities of other classes.

These additional roles are often combined in a class with a primary role: a healing class might get good buffs, a DPS character may be able to control extra enemies, etc. These other roles can also be taken care of by the core roles: a secondary tank can keep multiple enemies occupied if crowd control is not available, for example.

Finally, the DPS role sometimes has specialized categories: melee, ranged, single-target, area of effect (AoE), etc.

If everyone is playing quarterback then you have no one to block and keep you from getting hammered. It's called team play for a reason.
  19. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Being that The Holy Trinity began with real RNG games like D&D and Jack Emmert The CEO started in that genre, I highly doubt it will change.
  20. Version San Diego Active Player

So you are saying it should stay? That suberb tank classes and and other support type classes are ok to do decent type damage just not healers? Not entirely sure on your stance in this game. Was refering to powers like admonish and soul bolt. It is not sacrificing loadout spots to do damage. They are healing moves that recieve more than the 10 percent damage penalty that all support roles get. With the game trying to gain more balance, hopefully not just to the damage role, where should this fall with balance? I would like to see it removed, then maybe a water healer with tsunami strikes does more than dribble damage while they are healing. Atom tanks can do good damage while tanking, in your trinity should the tank not be defensive only? Or is the best defence a good offence? Although I would not want to see a healer spamming powers to do damge if they cannot manage it. P.S The tanks are the blockers, the troll is the RB, the healers are the only QB's, and DPS are the diva WR's that whine about getting the ball.