On-role Rare Loot Drop Chance Equation

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Reidriar, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Reidriar New Player

Some people can say: Why do I never get good loot? :'(
    While some could also say: Wow! I'm so lucky, I always get the loot that I want! [IMG]
    Ok, you get it right, some people get their loot they need, and some don't. That's the point, but how does the mechanism actually do that?
    I'll be answering that.

Some people get the reason right, some don't, everything is relevant and relative in the world. But this loot arrangement is not always about Einstein's Relativity and stuff. It also relates with amount of people in a run, the coefficient chance to get the rare drop (or in a simpler way, drop chance) and well, game problems. But we won't be talking about game bugs and loot arrangement problems, not that but, only chance.

A part of the community made untested and misdirected estimations and guesses why some get good loot and some don't.
    They say: "In lower levels, people get better loot, but when I get higher, it gets worse and worse!"
    That applies in the vault but not in open world or instance. Weeellll....there is a chance, but basically the game is not picky, like only generous to lower people, NO, not even close.
    By good loot, I mean on-role drops, such as If you are a DPS, you need a DPS gear, and the same for all. Off role is when a loot dropsto you and you don't need it because you are not focusing in that said role.

Formula
    There is a best estimate, it's not 100% accurate, but it would be about 75% close to the now made loot tables(until they change it that is ).
    The current estimation of the loot tables is this formula:
    On-role RL DrC= BCo DrC(apparently 100%) / RA / [RL DrC x (SA/GroupSize)] or simpler as BCo DRc / RA / (SA / GroupSize) / RL DrC

Abbreviations
    Whats this all with the abbreviations!? I don't get it!
    RL = Rare Loot
    DrC = Drop Chance
    BCo = Basic Coefficient or just Basic amount (always and always will be 100%)
    / = divide by or divide with; also as 'per' something; out of (fraction)
    RA = Roles amount (if the drop is random out of all 4 roles, put 4 which is 4 roles, if it is a single role or an all-role drop, put 1, the condition is similar to 4 roles in 2 or 3's case.
    GroupSize = Size of group in Instance (2 or more, most notably 4 or 8)
    SA = Spread Amount (the amount of people that the rare loot will go to)

So if I write RL DrC / GroupSize you get that I meant the Rare loot's drop chance divided with Size of group.

Test
    For example, you are in a raid. 8 people(GroupSize = 8)). You know there is a rare loot that will drop to only 2 people out of the 8(SA = 2)). The actual drop chance for one people is only 25%(RL DrC = 25%). You could get either the Healer or Troller or Tank and also DPS version of the rare drop and the role drop is random(RA = 4).
    In this case the formula is:
    On-role RL DrC = 100% / 4 / [25% x (2/8)] , On-role DrC: 100% / 4 = 25%. [25% x (2 / 8 = 1/4) = 6.25%] > 25 / 6.25= On-role DrC, so On-role DrC= 4%

Now you see, the chance to get this certain loot coming together. An on-role drop rare loot that is. Only 16% (4% x 4) for each person in a raid to be one out of the two people who will be getting the drop. But only 4% chance to get the on-role drop of it.

Off-role version
    To have the chance percentage of just a drop chance not an on-role one, the formula is:
    Off-role RL DrC: BCo DRc / [RL DrC x (SA / Group Size)], forgetting the roles amount (RA). It is not just the unchanged RL DrC as the Off-role chance.
    An easier way is to count the on-role first then multiply it by 4 (Max RA).

Conclusion
    This formula is not really useful, but it is interesting indeed. If you really want to know how often the Ring of Omnipotence or any other rare loot drops, use this formula.
  2. Reidriar New Player