Ok so dom does not cause agro from what people tell me.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TyragonFuzoom, Dec 27, 2016.

1. TyragonFuzoom Level 30

But I do know that if your dom is hagh enough it helps keep it from what I have experienced, so I read that dom helps keep an AI under a control effect.

I am thinking that tank moves are also control effect moves because you can juggle and some of the moves even tell you they are control effects.

So this makes dom very important for tanks to keep agro because the higher your dom the longer the AI is under a control effect.

I know someone is going to argue with me but with higher dom I can keep agro better so this is only a theory.

What do you think?
  2. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Dominance affects your crowd control abilities but crowd control abilities does not equal aggro. (lots of people do often make the mistake of thinking it does though).

Using any power in tank stance is going to cause you to get aggro that's just how tanking works.
    • Like x 6
  3. Here2Help Devoted Player

Dominance has nothing to do with aggro. Period.
    What does have to do with aggro then? Tank role. Period.
    They are not opinions, just pure good old facts :)
    • Like x 8
  4. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

NO DOM has nothing at all to do with Agro. the higher your DOM level the better things like Holds, Knock down or Knock back and Stuns work. Now just about every Tank power has at least one or more of these types of attacks that are AOE so they can affect entire mobs. then the MOB gets ticked off and races toward the Tank, agro kicks in and they stand there pounding on the tank while the rest of the team beats them all to death. So NO Dom has nothing to do with agro but the more DOM a tank has the better his stuns and knock downs work.. the more he ticks off bosses and mobs and the more they want to kill him. Which is basically what AGRO is all about. "Ignore those other people. you want to kill ME!" lol
    • Like x 3
  5. TyragonFuzoom Level 30

So I still want more dom for this right,
  6. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Right NOW.. keep in mind after you get that whole room of minions and a boss trying to take off your head .. you need to survive so when it comes to Skill Points used don't use everything on DOM and then not have enough health and defense to stand the beatings your about to endure. Even when you are modding your powers .. craft things like Dom/Health and so on. the two big things for any tank to keep in mind are keep them focused on you and STAY alive so they stay focused on you
    • Like x 1
  7. Great Architect Loyal Player

It's like this:-

Tanking gets you aggro.
    Dom makes your tanking cc moves work better.
    Dom also does healing/damage mitigation things depending on what kind of Tank you are. Generally, the more Dom you have, the better you are at staying alive, but if you don't know your power set, it will do exactly ****all for you :).
    • Like x 2
  8. Great Architect Loyal Player

In short: RTFM. If you are post-30 and still having to ask about Dominance, you've missed some basic lessons way back then. I'm glad you're asking now - but you aren't tanking in any Alert or Raid I'm in. Yet. Read up, and I wish you the best of luck. Tanking is a noble life ;).
  9. The Jelly Bean Dedicated Player

If dominance affected aggro, wouldn't they put that in the stat description? Like it increases shield strength, better cc, affects aggro... uh nope. Dominance is your strength, how long a stun works, better shield strength, and better tank role buffs.

Aggro is based on a hate table to where tanks single taunts are at the top. It goes like this:
    Tank: single taunt
    Tank: power tray taunts
    Might, restoration, pets
    Precision
    Proximity

It's like a diamond shape if you were to center it. A tanks single taunt is the most powerful, followed by any of their power tray powers. Tanks are automatically at the bottom of the list with aggro and must use a power to artificially inflate them to the top. Now here is the fun part: if the tank loses aggro then the next person with the highest cap on ticks is attacked, healers if they have many hits out and ticking, dps doing the AM dots will get you in trouble, and pets as you know get demolished before you do if you keep a low might dot loadout. Many say dps get creamed first ( depends on dps loadout and healers hots) and if any pets are out. Right now with AMs they are practically might based and get creamed first. Now 2+ years ago it would most likely of been the healers getting the aggro. Next is precision, if none above applies then those hitting precision powers will get hit next. Last but not least the simple proximity factor. This one is to also help in tie breakers so if you have let's say 1 tank who died and 2 ice dps going full out on numbers, the might ticks are equal at cap, no healing, no pets, no precision, so whoever is closest is doomed.

All that above has nothing to do with dominance at all. It's a list and once you know it, you know how not to get your name on the next spot down after the tank dies. And I bet that if you read this post that you prolly never even heard of this aggro table before.
    • Like x 3
  10. Here2Help Devoted Player

And you just lost that bet sir ;) Just want to add that the Hate Table can function differently for certain bosses. Some boss fights have the highest spot in the Table being directly linked to Proximity and nothing else. This is called Proximity Aggro, where the closest person to the boss will be top of the Table. Orion is an example of a boss who has Proximity Aggro.

Note: Not saying you didn't personally know this, I'm just adding to the post :)
    • Like x 3
  11. Great Architect Loyal Player

Right. I'll tell you again, because I told you in the last thread... but on the condition hat you stop making new threads, and just continue the discussion here?

DOMINANCE has TWO functions for a TANK.

YES, it increases the strength of your CC, PARTICULARLY pulls, and YES, it increases EITHER the LENGTH or the STRENGTH of your CC.

BUT. IT DOES OTHER THINGS.

For A Fire Tank, it massively increases Defence while blocking, for instance.

If you are tanking, please read up on how Dominance affects your stats depending on which Power you are using.

OK?
  12. The Jelly Bean Dedicated Player

I could have added that. But that's the main table tho. I believe ares is the same in throne.
  13. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

The word "aggro" is thrown around a lot. It doesn't mean what you think it means. Please read this guide to understand how hate, taunts, aggro, and so forth work: Aggravating Guide about Aggro.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/aggravating-guide-about-aggro.276139/
    • Like x 2
  14. Proxystar #Perception

Dominance has ZERO, ZERO to do with obtaining or maintaining hate/aggro.

Using a power while in tank role is what obtains and maintains hate/aggro, nothing else.
  15. Great Architect Loyal Player

Not entirely true. DoT from powers that continue past the normal aggro reset window do maintain aggro due to their Dom-based DoT last tick. The Iconic Amazonion powers, for instance.

It's subtle, I'll grant you - but also why Fire used to used both Deflection and Lasoo to great effect. If you absolutely definitely had to reset aggro, then damage to everything around you that was hitting you was tech, and the Dominance-based breakout tick made it way too useful.
  16. Proxystar #Perception

Can't comment because I never use any iconic powers in tank role and don't really have a desire to test or verify your statement.

I'm skeptical.
  17. Great Architect Loyal Player

Then you will remain skeptical. If you tank, I would be glad to talk about this. If you don't, then it's no use to you.

Your statement was wrong. I corrected it. It's a technical point. Nothing more, and probably only confusing to the OP.
  18. Proxystar #Perception

I tank, I just don't need to use iconic powers, I'm atomic, if you're referring to Amazonian Deflection, it's useless, if you're referring to mesmerising lasso, then the pulls within the atomic power set are superior and I also don't use that move as a single taunt.

Again I'm skeptical as to your correctness and just have no need to test the validity of your statement, I'll take your word for it.
    • Like x 1
  19. tukuan Devoted Player

Post30, that's awfully optimistic, I don't think I've even needed a tank pre-30. More to the point I see tanks in post 100cr content that don't have the first clue as to what their role entails which is disconcerting to say the least. The problem is that the presence of a single OP member of a group negates most of the need for a tank in T1 through T6 content so I can't entirely blame them for not knowing what to do.

I get your point and in a perfect world I totally agree, but I think tanks who are willing to learn the role should not be excluded and more to the point should be encouraged. I applaud the author for at least having a misinformed clue as opposed to no clue at all.
    • Like x 1
  20. NoPhilosophy Committed Player

I knew of it, but I didn't know the contents. Thanks a lot.