Odd's Oddly Beginner's Codex

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Oddpodd, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Oddpodd Dedicated Player

The DC Universe Online Beginner's Codex

This is a simple and list type guide on some stuff that every new player who is levelling should know. There are allot of other guides like this but this is where I combined them all into one thread.

Starting out:

You get out the Braniac Ship, then what? You take missions!

Missions and their Importance:

Missions are the most important and easiest way for player to level up! Never procrastinate and not do them since not only does it help you level up fast, it also makes you follow through a storyline and usually ends with a video about the Hero/Villain you were helping/killing. Missions also tend to give you Feats when doing something in a certain way that when accumulated, you get a feat point!

Feat Points:

While doing a mission you see an announcement box in front of you saying: “Feat Achieved!”. You question yourself: “What in Merlin’s Beard is that?”.

The answer as quoted from the DC Universe Online Wikipedia: Feats are self-contained challenges that award points upon completion.

Didn’t get it? Well in layman’s terms, Feats are challenges that are set by the developers for the gamers to achieve. Once you do and finish the feat, you will get a feat point. Points are awarded by the difficulty of the Feat. 10 for the easiest to accomplish, 25 for the harder ones, and 50 for the hardest of the hardest.

Example: [IMG]

Feats and their Importance:

Feats are importance because you get a Skill point every time to reach 100 Feat Points. Each Skill Point then becomes your ticket to getting innate skills which boosts your stats. Also, Skill Points tend to be the measuring scale of your “Skill” in-game. The more you have, the more respect you are going to get.

Bounties:

Bounties are missions that you get from posters inside the Police Station (Hero) or Night Club (Villains). These are missions that have you hunt down and defeat iconic Superheroes or Supervillains. When you first do them, you get a feat as well as an item for each. After that, every successive bounty you finish will ONLY give you experience and Renown to the faction that the Bounty is for.

List of Bounties by Difficulty and City:
    Metropolis (Hero):
    Minotaur, Bizarro, Avatar of Sin, Arkillo, Kordax, Judge
    Metropolis (Villain):
    Enchanted Statue, Bizarro, Hawkman & Hawkgirl, Doctor Fate, Kilowog, Power Girl
    Gotham (Hero):
    Full House, Solomon Grundy, Clayface, Nepheritos, Killer Frost
    Gotham (Villain):
    Full House, Green Arrow & Black Canary, Flash, Nepheritos, Fire

Leagues:

Leagues are like Guilds in other MMO’s. Leagues are important simply because this creates the camaraderie that most players seem to enjoy. If your League is good, then you will have a great time with them and running contents with them. If it is not, then you will be part of a league, but seem to still be soloing everything. A good league, in my opinion, has both communication and an active roster. Without one both, the League is definitely not worth to join.

Some good Leagues that I know of in the USPS3:
    Hero: The Rebels, The Replacements, Shiiesty, Soldiers of Light, Tesla Nation and The Nomads.
    Villains: FOE, One Pieced, Perfect Legends, Sanctorum and SINISTER

Note #1 (Clans): There are Leagues in the game that are so-called Clans. These clans are groups of people who, not only play DCUO, but also play different games in their respective consoles! They are your go-to people if you enjoy playing other games other than DCUO and you want to connect with people in that respective game. Examples of Leagues like these are: UGA (United Gamers Alliance) and PS3 Reapers.

Note #2: There are more GOOD Leagues out there, these are just some that I can think on top of my head right now. If your league is not listed, it doesn’t mean its not good, it just means I’m too distracted to remember.

Alerts:

Alerts are also vital to leveling up. These are four man instances where you queue up with friends or by yourself. If you queue up by yourself then you will get a random group which most of the time is not good. I prefer queuing up with friends but that is your choice.

Alerts are also unlocked at certain levels. Careful though, they do unlock at a certain level of your character but it is usually the minimum level requirement for you to get in. It will be tough, but it is worth it with the drops and experience.

Level 30:

One you get to level 30, you ask yourself: “What’s next?”

The answer: “Everything.”

The game STARTS at level 30. Everything that you learned while leveling up will be put to the test once you reach level 30. You will have to pick which stance you want to be: Healer, Controller, Tank or DPS. Note that each power has a specific stance and a DPS stance. An example would be that Nature can only either go DPS or Healer.

Stances are also called Roles in the game. Support Roles (Healer, Controller and Tank) are always MUCH MUCH more needed than DPS. The server right now is full of DPS’s that its hard to be a DPS and trying to find a group to run. Which is why I always suggest people to try running their support roles. In fact, it is most of the time much more fun running as a support role.

Marks:

You buy gear with Marks. The currency right now for Tier One to Tier Four Armour is Marks of Triumph. These are awarded every time you finish an instance or mission that specifically awards them. There are also other Marks but this Guide is mainly for PVE purposes so I wont delve into them. The Tier Five armor, the best purchasable gear right now, is bought with Marks of Reality. These marks are from the T5 instances which you wont have to worry since you are still new.

Challenges:

Challenges are one-man instances where you get marks after you finish the whole instance. This is one of the best ways to get marks when you are trying to buy your Tier One gear. These are often times easy and fast to do.

Duos:

Duos are like Challenges but you have to do them in groups of two. They also award marks for you to start buying gear.

Tiers:

There are five different Tiers in the game. Tier One, Two, Three, Four and Five. You start at one then work your way up to five. Tiers are calculated by you Combat Rating (CR). Gear is also unlocked at vendors when you reach a certain CR. This means you cannot save up and jump ahead to buy Tier Four Gear when you are still Tier One. How to know which Tier you are on? There is a number system.

Tier One: Level 30 until CR43
    Tier Two: CR43 until CR53
    Tier Three: CR53 until CR70
    Tier Four: CR70 until CR84
    Tier Five: CR84 and up

Raids:

Raids are eight-man instances where you fight through regions of the DC Universe alongside the storyline of the game.

You unlock your first Raid once you reach CR40. These Raids are the Novice Raids. In truth, Novice Raids are unlocked at CR40 (T2) and CR50 (T3). Although you can go in, I would advise you to wait until you get enough CR to get into the Expert Raids that you unlock when you formally get into the next Tier (CR43 and 53) because Novice Raids gives less marks and once you do them, you get loot locked for a week and cannot do the raid again. This is a headache when you do them today and then you become ready for the Expert Raids tomorrow but you can’t run them because you already did the Novice equivalent of it.

Loot Lock:

Loot lock occurs when you have finished or defeated a certain instance or boss. This automatically locks you from getting anything from them again. Challenges, Duo’s and Alerts lock you for one day while Raids lock you for a week.

Resets happen each week.

Thanks for reading this guide! Will hopefully add-on more into this once more contents come up. I might have missed some parts so comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

Cheers!
    Odd
    • Like x 16
  2. Terribly Shocking New Player

Very nice guide. +1
    • Like x 1
  3. Oddpodd Dedicated Player

Thanks! I try to be very concise and sticking to the low level grounds since this guide is for new players :p
    • Like x 2
  4. PerfectLegend Dedicated Player

Oh shucks, thanks for the league shout-out, Oddpodd. It's an honor, and much appreciated. :D

Great guide. +1
    • Like x 1
  5. LOCKSLEY Well-Known Player

Well thought out guide. Just what a new player needs.
    It's great to be even mentioned in the same list with these other leagues.
    We really appreciate it.
    +1
    • Like x 3
  6. Oddpodd Dedicated Player

Thanks for the compliment! And of ciurse you guys are one the few I would even recommend in the USPS3 server!

Cheers!
    Odd
    • Like x 1
  7. Oddpodd Dedicated Player

Updated the League section adding the Clan Leagues and their description.
  8. Flash New Player

I liked it just because this is a big one lol.
  9. Oddpodd Dedicated Player

LOL thanks :p