Observations about the open world cities

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Beard Maaaan, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Beard Maaaan Well-Known Player

I've been running around Gotham and Metropolis for two years now and have noticed a few things...

So, it's well known that Gotham, Metropolis, Central City, etc are in the United States. Superman fights for "Truth, Justice and the American Way" and it's the "Justice League of America". So why aren't there ANY United States flags flying? Not one person living there is patriotic? At least the City Hall and the Courthouse should be flying the flag.

Also, there's a Cathedral in Gotham, but not one in Metropolis? Demons all over but no angels?

Just asking. ;)
    • Like x 1
  2. BestPlayerAfrica Well-Known Player

tbh no one care about open wolrd and not only devs :/
  3. Beard Maaaan Well-Known Player

The expanse of Gotham and Metropolis is what first turned me onto the game.

Also, recently I noticed that they turned off the Graying screen as you go to the allowable edges in Central City. They also let you go down the water's edge. I'm not sure how recently they did this but I appreciate it! It lets one see more of the city and at least gets me to want to go past the boundaries.
  4. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Okay you are 100% correct about all three cities being located in the USA.. and here's another point that adds fuel to the fire for your question.. Between Gotham and Metropolis there are FIVE Police Stations and while its not a rule or anything if you wandered around most big cities you'd find a flag flying outside every Police Station and every Fire Station in addition to the one at City Hall.

Now here is a least a part of the reason you don't see them in game.... We have players from all over Europe and not all of them are even on the EU server. We have players from South America and who knows how many other countries and continents. At some point I am sure there was a meeting and some one brought of the idea of FLAGS and it was voted down so no player would feel offended that THEIR Country's flag wasn't on display. Same thing applies to the lack of churches .. YES there is one church in Gotham and a semi destroyed version of it even exists in the Wasteland But if they started sprinkling churches around the map .. They'd need Mosques for the Islamics, Temples for the Hindus, Heck even Catholic and Protestant churches .. see the point? In order to make sure no one felt offended we could end up with half the city being nothing BUT churches and guess what happens next? The Atheists star complaining because there are TOO many churches in this game.,

The old rule of thumb for chat at a party was never talk about politics or religion because no matter what you say.. you'll manage to tick someone off. Well gaming companies adopt that same standard. If we don't put anything like that in the game they don''t have to deal with a bunch of people complaining aboiut it or even possibly suing them,
    • Like x 3
  5. EconoKnight XIII Legion

I saw a guy that looked like Barack Obama the other day, so I asked him. He said, "Will you give me an aura?"
    • Like x 2
  6. nawanda Loyal Player

I'm more interested in why the word Christmas is avoided during the seasonal. You have NPCs saying "a holiday present!" and items such as 'holiday trees' which are clearly Christmas trees. I'm all for diversity and inclusion, but I've never heard anyone say holiday present or holiday tree in real life.
    • Like x 1
  7. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

TechWarrior0329 pretty much covered it, however to just add more to that specifically. It is mostly because Christmas and other holidays around that time are highly associated with religion.

So saying "Happy Holidays" pretty much covers any and all types of holiday celebrations that take place at that time. In game, it's simply to avoid possibly offending, annoying, etc, etc, many people. So everyone/everthing saying "Happy Holidays" instead insures you not only don't do that, but covers you them for whatever holiday the players do actually celebrate during that time. :D
    • Like x 1
  8. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

Actually, that's 5 police stations that players can access as safe houses. You missed out on that police station in Gotham's north near the Knightsdome (which doesn't look much like one from the outside despite being labelled to be one, flags could greatly improve that :D), the abandoned(?) police station in the Dutch Quarters area in Metropolis (near City Hall) and the Science Police HQ where the Raven levelling mission take place.

Metropolis City Hall however lies in ruins, so the missing flag may be excused there. Pretty sure a burning flag or one being down in the dirt would have caused much more trouble in the US than the absence of flags. (And there is at least one Fire Station in Metropolis as well, with a briefing node on the roof).

Agree on the probable reasoning. However I'm totally disappointed on the use of the Cathedral in Gotham. I think I tried every base style and none actually offers the Cathedral as a location (you know, one of the top locations like Arkham, Knightsdome etc). Maybe devs were under the impression that the Cathedral was bottled when adding Home Turf?

And they even made this rule of thumb part of their ToS for ingame behaviour :D
  9. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

PsySomtaic has it covered very well... I doubt you'll find many, IF ANY, video game that actually has a "Christmas" celebration because the celebration is strictly a Christian holiday and just like the reason why we don't see flags or a lot of churches no one wants to alienate entire groups that belong to different religions so its a "winter" event. The funny part of all of that is they turn right around and give us furniture that almost everyone would associate with Christmas.. Trees, Wreaths, colored lights, snow globes and so on.
  10. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

That's a bug. It's not actually a police station.
    https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/DC-1491
  11. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Well I was referring to the 5 players can hang out in or outside of.. like they do in Little Bohemia. About the only thing anyone ever does with that one in North Gotham is spend a couple minutes trying to find the goofy thing, since as already mentioned it doesn't look like a Police Station at all, because its part of the exploration feat.

What we see being shouted back and forth in chat falls under that same "get out of jail free card" that the overall rating for the game gets. Daybreak is in no way responsible for the trash talk floating around Metropolis (mainly from that same crowd that hangs in front of Little Bohemia's PD). Face the facts.. If the board rated ANY game based on what players say in chat most would be rated "R" and we'd all probably have to send in a copy of our driver's license to prove we are 17 or older to even LOG IN. LOL