No unlocked WM crit bonus when using AM

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Veritech, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Veritech Loyal Player

After discussing this in game just now, it seems no one has a clear understanding of what the hell to do regarding the no wm unlocked crit bonus.

1) First guy says don't unlock wm at all because you won't get any buff

2) 2nd guy says unlock wm because the wm bonus is greater than the no wm bonus

3) Me, I just unlock wm on every powerset, not caring about this bonus or that bonus. I want the options to be able to run no wep straight am or wm burst without switching armories.

So which path is correct? Does it differ between powersets?
    The info regarding this is very brief and scattered across several update and patch notes.
    • Like x 1
  2. Sore Steadfast Player

No-WM buff is for precision-based AMs and the amount equals the WM buff.

Might-based AMs get a buff whether WM is unlocked or not.

So, you're better off unlocking WM in any scenario since it gives you access to more innates.
    • Like x 3
  3. Harlequin Devoted Player

You do not have to unlock WM to get to those innates, just put 21 points into the tree.
    • Like x 3
  4. Veritech Loyal Player

Thanks Sore.
    So basically it makes no diff each way, personal preference and playstyle will determine which way to go.
  5. Remander Steadfast Player

To clarify for Celestial, the buff for not unlocking WM is +5% crit damage. It adds to the crit damage buff obtained by equipping a melee weapon, giving you the equivalent of the crit damage buff you get for unlocking WM. The control resistance buff is the same with a melee weapon and with WM unlocked. So, the important thing to realize is, if you want to not unlock WM, you must have a melee weapon equipped to get the equivalent buff. A ranged weapon won't do it. If you use a ranged weapon, you're pretty much obligated to unlock WM, even if you don't unlock any WM combos.
    • Like x 2
  6. Shad0wReap3r Committed Player

Exactly. As well as available SP. The whole buff for not speccing into WM is just for those with too little SP to spec into it. Personally, I feel that even without USING WM, it should be required to spec into it as another method of keeping SP viable. By speccing into it, I just mean unlocking the one box at the top corner, not required to get combos etc. It doesn't require a ridiculous amount of SP to obtain that (around 100-110 for all crit buffs and 1 tree of WM), and it gives those with enough SP an extra reward for the grind.
    • Like x 1
  7. HazeTA New Player

Just to expand on what Sore said. If you don't spec WM you will NEED to equip a melee weapon for the 15% crit magnitude buff from the melee weapon, that added to the 5% from not unlocking WM will equal the 20% crit buff you get from unlocking WM. Either way you get 20% but range weapons have no such 15% buff that melee weapons have so you would only be getting the 5% alone if you use a range weapon and don't spec WM. Best just to spec it and unlock at least one combo just so you have a hard hitting combo in case power issues arise.
    • Like x 1
  8. Absolix Loyal Player

I think he was referring more to the +20% weapon crit damage you get with WM unlocked. Some nonCombo AMs still use weapon damage, Gadgets, the DoT AMs, the Pet AMs, etc and would benefit from still unlocking WM despite the fact that their might crit innates are not affected by unlocking it.
    • Like x 3
  9. Snix Dedicated Player

Having a debate with a Rage buddy and I'm trying to convince him of what Remanded and Sore already said.

So to clarify, as Rage with a melee weapon don't spec into WM. As Rage with a ranged weapon spec into WM?

Where does this apply to all this?
  10. Remander Steadfast Player

Rage is the same as Celestial. See my description above.