Newcomers have no chance in pvp arenas?

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by TheDarkRedbird, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Evil Leaper New Player

I get what your saying. I worked up to punchline on my main and am slowly doing it on my Alts. I just love Hal Jordan he is one of the funniest legends to play.
    • Like x 1
  2. Maxx_Watt Loyal Player

My alt troll with 98sp had no problem in arenas or gearing up & I pug 100% of the time. I can see low sp pve folks having a hard time though since they think everything revolves around gear.
  3. ToneMD New Player

There is no simple answer for it except to grind through it. I am rolling a healer alt now and yeah, I see the screwed match making all the time. You can figure out ways to work around it though. And yeah sometimes you have to get lucky. All I can say is, its better to only have to worry about your scrubbiness vs your teams, so do 1v1s, and 2v2s alot. Pugging larger team battles can be fun if you go in not hungry for the win. But if you're justing trying to level you will be frustrated. Some people just don't give a damn.

Fortunately, the really big dogs have left or are leveling alts and new noobs are shipped in everyday.

BTW, do your PVE feats! Get that SP up. And remember your mods. I know it sucks to mod less than top pvp gear but it CAN make a difference.

It took me like 4 to 6 months to get anywhere with my main in PVP. That was back when you had some real heavy ***** leagues on the USPC side running around stomping people. After two years I'm still learning. It all just takes time.
    • Like x 1
  4. Zylo Committed Player

It's true. Newcomers don't stand a chance in pvp but the ppl who keep playing to the point of beggining to understand how things work and start getting marks are branching away from the "newcomer " rank. You can't expect the DEVs to keep holding your hand and to give you...ways..to....hmmm...nvm, They do.

Either way, starting to get into pvp isint easy but once u start getting gear and figuring out how a majority of ppl think is the fun part of pvp.
    • Like x 1
  5. Jc x New Player

OP you have to bare with it like everyone else did. Group up, and don't pug; that's half the reason you're losing so much.
  6. BadHansel New Player

A bad matchmaking system, HT, fullmodded T4-gear, lags, bugs and a playerbase with the most egos make it really difficult for a newcomer to understand and learn the system.
    • Like x 1
  7. Giggles Loyal Player

Not true at all. Leveling a new character with a friend I recently introduced to DCUO and we have been winning most of our matches. I took him into scrimmage, showed him all the maps with objectives and how they worked. I showed him what animations to look for and the symbols over our heads and how to read them as well. Tonight was his second night in PvP and he was smashing people in cash gear. Some of the people he was beating were in full punchline. He has no mods, no HT either. It all depends on the player and their ability to adapt and comprehend on the fly. PvP is the best it has ever been.

Stop blaming things like the system for your short comings. There is no luck involved in PvP combat. You make a mistake, you pay for it. The winner will always be the person he made the fewest mistakes. All HT, mods, gear, etc give you is the ability to make a few more mistakes, but it is nothing a bit of practice can't overcome.
    • Like x 2
  8. Narceisis New Player

I haven't seen any major issues with the pvp system so far, in fact I do my dailies on all my toons specially as I level them up, (am a newbro to the game in general) but my celestial who just hit 29 last night has 890 pvp marks already. Of which I will use some to get some pvp gear and some to convert to pve marks to bypass t1 and most of t2.
    • Like x 1
  9. tell me more New Player

Assuming they're unmodded, t4 or not gear doesn't make a huge difference. I've beaten people with much higher pvp gear (like 2 tiers above me), and have been beaten by people with much lower tiered gear than me.
    Skill and work is all it takes mate.
    • Like x 1
  10. Cuco Active Player

I agree with Narceisis. Get into PVP arenas as your leveling up. Don't wait until your 30. You get the same Valor marks pre-30. By the time I got to 30 I had 300+ marks of valor.

Like some have said, don't be discouraged with losing. The more you lose the more you'll face people at your level and vice versa (the more you win the more you'll face tougher opponents).

If you're not used to the PVP combat, than you should do legends to get more used to it. I PUG everything and I'm working on my t3 armor. So it's possible. You just have to keep at it.
  11. Lucaefor New Player

Legends is the best way to learn. PVP arenas you can hit an overgeared toon 20 times and barely scratch them, they hit you twice and you are gone. You think you might be doing something wrong, or something is bugged etc. And constantly losing can affect most people's confidence. Determination isn't an abundant quality, most people will lose heart and give up.

I've long been a detractor of upgradable gear in PVP but I guess the devs feel Legends is there to satisfy people who want a fair fight (even if some Legends are clearly better than others).
  12. Jc x New Player

You have to bare with it, just like everyone else did (including me).

You can't win every match you're put into, and you can't just get the best gear like that. You have to WORK for it, like EVERYBODY else did.
  13. Anarcho-Captain New Player

Are you leveling up to 30 and THEN trying to get marks of Valor?? Because yes, you're screwed if THAT's when you try to get them. You should do PvP matches BEFORE you get to 30 a bunch of times. Then you've got plenty of a chance to win (especially if you're around lvl 26-29). You should be able to buy a full Tier 1 or Tier 2 set of PvP armor (which ever one is the first one that requires marks of valor) right when you turn to lvl 30. It's pretty easy. Just last night, I started to PvP again, won all 5 matches, bought the next complete set of Tier gear.
  14. One Shot New Player

dude the amount of times i had a cash gear hero fight me in 1v1 and im t4 with exp mods, they died in seconds, i did honestly feel sorry for them.. then i made a alt and the same thing happened to me lol 1v1 is a hard grind if your not at least t3 geared and HT modded
    • Like x 1
  15. TheDarkRedbird Active Player

I did play some arena matches with an alt I was leveling up, and holy **** you're right xD Ironically enough, I played some Moon matches (which, I hate with my life), and since apparently no lvl 25-29 knew what the hell to do to actually get points, I kept grabbing those enemy artifacts, bringing them back to my base in no time. I got three or four easy wins and marks doing that, so I might just wanna do that though. Sure, I won't get a lot of marks, since my PVP CR doesn't go up until I put on those Tier 1/2 pieces, but at least I'll have a little advantage rather than if I just wait for lvl 30 to pvp in arenas.

Thanks mate :3
    • Like x 1
  16. TheDarkRedbird Active Player

Haha. Then you know how I felt ;~;
    Guess I'll try to avoid 1vs1's 'til I get to T3 and at least decently modded though.

17. Lucaefor New Player

I wonder how many people try PVP out, get smashed and decide they don't enjoy it enough to want to do it again. This is one of the problems that needs to be looked at and why matchmaking logic should include PVP CR.

It is sometimes hard to know if you are being beaten on gear or on skill and I think it would reassure people to know the fight was at least reasonably evenly matched, enough to want to stick with it rather than quit.
    • Like x 1
  18. Yallander Loyal Player

The fact that anyone would just quit after 1 match means they don't really have the mettle to deal with PVP. It is about competition and that can be both good and bad.

PVP gear is blown through extremely fast. Also what is to stop someone from getting all but one piece of a tier and just going on a rampage through players of a lower PVP CR? Especially since the CR doesn't increase until ALL the gear, accessories, and weapon are obtained. It would be the "new" form of griefing.

Personally I think EVERYONE should start at the lowest ELO and match only against the lowest ELO queued and then work their way up rather than facing whoever is queued to try and determine their skill level. As it stands once a player does 30-40 matches the ELO is pretty accurate and matches much more balanced.
  19. Lucaefor New Player

I'm not sure about that, the CR increases could be fractional but truncated visibly so you could have CR84.874 and only see CR84 for example. Griefing (and any type of prejudice or bullying) I am wholly against but you have to consider that the player queues for PVP so they have control over the situation - whereas griefing is different.

Role vs Role confidence makes a huge difference. That would be the first thing I would look to adjust or even dispense with. And agree with you on the ELO, new players should come in at the basement.

Take Legends for example there is a newbie in almost every match, you see the feats popping up in the chat window. Common sense would dictate they queue for arena PVP as well and.. you can see where that is headed. I wonder what the retention is of newcomers to PVP?
  20. dadof7kids New Player

are you looking for new members for your league ?if you can you add me or add me to your group?