New Power: Shadow/Darkness Manipulation(no it's not the one in the celestial tree)

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Void The Oblivion, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Void The Oblivion Well-Known Player

Here is why shadow manipulation could be a nice add :

Power Description:

Darkness manipulation is the power to manipulate darkness/shadows.

* Darkness Manipulation: The ability to control darkness. The source of this power is a connection to the Shadowlands (or Dark Zone), a dimension of primordial, quasi-sentient darkness which the user can channel for various effects.

* Darkness Teleportation: The ability to travel great distances in short amounts of time, by traveling between Earth and the Dark Zone. Traveling great distances exhausts the users powers, making the user unable to do such trips often. A old and powerful user may have the ability to travel anywhere without exhaustion or depletion of his powers.

* Darkness Constructs: The ability to create solid constructs out of shadows. These are limited to what the user allows them to do; however, in the future they may take on a mind of their own.

* Shadowland Demon Control: The ability to summon and command demonic creatures from the Dark Zone.

* Darkness Projection: The ability to project darkness in the form of energy blasts.

* Darkness Force-Field: The ability to surround the user with a force field.

* Immortality: The user do not age or get sick.( that hardly matters to the game though, but i really like that feature :D )

General Characteristics:

Aplications:

* Create/generate/increase, absorb, shape and manipulate darkness/shadow for various effects, sizes, shapes and intensity levels:
    Depending of the level of strength, one can blanket an entire city, country or world in eternal darkness.
    Absolute Darkness
    Darkness "Mist"(fog of pure darkness)
    Light Absorption
    Shadow Camouflage/Cloaking
    * Darkness Adaptation:
    Night Vision
    * Darkness Attacks
    * Flight/Levitation
    * Solidification via controlling darkness/shadow:
    Animating/manipulate darkness/shadow, whether users own or cast by anything else.
    Tentacles/tendrils, chains and/or threads to attack or bind.
    Umbrakinetic Constructs, including weapons, walls, armor or allies/servants.

Techniques:

* Darkness Aura
    * Darkness Empowerment
    * Darkness Healing
    * Portal Creation/Umbrageous Teleportation using darkness/shadow by understanding the fundamental connection all shadows/darkness share:
    Dimensional Storage to store stuff into darkness/shadow, user may be able to enter their own pocket dimension.
    When the user realizes from where they draw their power, they can enter there and summon beings/tools from there.
    * Shadow Mimicry
    * Umbrakinetic Combat
    * Umbrakinetic Regeneration

By the characteristics mentioned above is obviously that power takes the role of a Control Power. This power is not aligned with good or evil, so it can be used by both Villans and Heroes. It could be released with a special dlc just for this power, where both the villan The Shade and hero Obsidian could play roles in that, they have a pretty nice story that could easily become a new dlc. This power could also be added into one of the War of The Light and Halls of Power DLCs. This power, for example, could be added into The Black Lanterns and The Anti-Monitor sagas.
    This power resembles alot the Lanterns powers, but unlike then u do not need a ring or recharge battery, nor it is Sorcery, (I'm not even sure if it can be called a magical power, or perhaps it is, since it's linked with the Antigod). Since the Black Lanterns are common enemys like Brainiac, Shadow/Darkness manipulation could be a replacement for it, and plus we would get a AWESOME Black Aura and a even more AWESOME Darkness Nimbus Aura :D, and possibly a pet( a darkness construct).
    • Like x 13
  2. Void The Oblivion Well-Known Player

3. Ghostof91 New Player

Genius, Aging mechanic can be brought in through this Powerset.
  4. Mission Essential New Player

This sounds like this could be a good thing for the devs to look at. Would it's other power tree be light?
  5. Epicness246 New Player

no dude no light anywere on this tree. it would resemble celestial too much. shadows for both trees check out Ghostsof91's sig and click on the shadow image. take a look on that forum
  6. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Every time i hear about Shadow powers all I can think about is Shikamaru.
    • Like x 3
  7. MinuteMaster Well-Known Player

This is just fabulous!
    • Like x 1
  8. leapoffaithninja Committed Player

approve but also check out the sig

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3
  9. Gargamond Dedicated Player

No.

The trees would be named Darkness, and Shadows, respectively.
  10. Gargamond Dedicated Player

The Shadows tree would be constructs (similar to lantern constructs) and forms ("shadow form").
    The Darkness tree would be pets, shields, utility powers, etc.
    • Like x 2
  11. ErnieB Loyal Player

the one problem i see with it is that is pretty much a villain only power, unless a hero side for the power comes up the devs are not going to even bother with it.
  12. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

I applaud your effort, +1 from me. I'm also in the process of making a Shadow power thread. :)
    • Like x 1
  13. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

I understand your reasoning, but Darkness Manipulation is just another magic power. Both good and bad use it. If you do research the energy originates in the Shadowlands. An example of a hero that uses it is Obsidian, who is the son of Green Lantern Hal Jordan. Culp would represent villains.
    • Like x 1
  14. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

• Like x 1
  15. Epicness246 New Player

No its not. Villains may use it more often but that doesnt mean its an only villian power. I must remind you that we get our powers from exobits and we have the will to do what ever we want with it, Even if it means using a completely dark power for good.
    • Like x 1
  16. guardzman New Player

Sounds very cool i do wish DC would offer more powers it would seem they could use a lot of the same basics just change the look and it would make your character more unique as well as allow players to recreate their favorite heros. Great idea sir
    • Like x 1
  17. ErnieB Loyal Player

It comes from Shadowlands, Circe's home base, so yeah it's a villain only power.
  18. ErnieB Loyal Player

same thing i told the other, which you guys don't seem to read, the OP said this powers come from Shadowlands, which is Circe's base, meaning heroes can't use this power, and before someone compares it to Rage, truth be told heroes shouldn't be able to use Rage either.
  19. MinuteMaster Well-Known Player

• Like x 2
  20. ErnieB Loyal Player

another person ignoring a simple detail the OP said, if the powers are done the way he suggest then it would be a villain only power because they come from Shadowland, which is isn't a very nice place for heroes, if the powers just came from the shadows then ok, but they come from shadowland, heck he even has a power that summons demons from Dark Zone, how is it that hero should even use that. btw people stop giving me examples and actually analyze the post, I know heroes can have shadow powers, but just not in the way he's describing them.