Need tips on fighting mental players

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by 23rd Emperor, Aug 16, 2021.

1. 23rd Emperor Active Player

I just played against this player who uses mental and they had 7 pvp cr which is shocking to think about the fact that they nearly killed me many times with me at 97 pvp cr, and one time even knocking me out. They used literally only 3 abilities, and it was that shocking one that stuns you a lot, reflect pain one and the mental shield. I'm better than them in every aspect except for over powered powers. If they had the same amount of PvP gear as I did I would have lost simply because mental is so overpowered with using only 2 abilities. The shocking one that you can spam and reflect pain.

Please give me tips on how to combat these types of people. I use hard light and martial arts.
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Are you console or PC?
  3. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

Arenas are broken as you've seen. I don't know much about hard light (HL), so I can only give advice based on my experience as Rage, and from fighting other hard light users. Someone more knowledgeable about hard light concerning arenas could chime in too. But one thing for sure is you want to make sure you're using controller role. In order to defeat mental players you need to be able to outdamage them, or if you're doing the same damage as them, outheal them. I'm not sure if this is possible with HL. Use as many shields as you can, I think HL only has one. So use the shield and hard light shield from iconic powers. You might try to use debuffs. You also need something that deals damage. This is assuming you're might spec. I know light weight hits really hard. I've been outdpsed with Rage by a HL that was spamming that and whip thrash. You might see if Triage healing is at all useful.

If might isn't doing enough damage or if you can't mantain power, give precision spec a try. Brawling does the most damage of all the weapons but requires skill. You'll have to make sure you're not getting blocked. If you're getting blocked, use rifle 5 tap. Hybrid spec will allow you to use your abilities and manage your power. You can check out some more recent HL arena loadout videos for some better options for your loadout and combine that with precision spec or whatever you choose.

If all else fails, you may need to switch to a more powerful powerset that you like.
    • Like x 1
  4. 23rd Emperor Active Player

Console - PS4
  5. 23rd Emperor Active Player

Alright, thanks for the help! Light has one shield but isn't as strong as hard light shield so I switched it out for an ability. I'm really good with light so it's tough to switch one out for a shield that doesn't even go up for that long. I know that whip thrash fully removes the shield from the other player as I had removed the shield from this mental player. I always use controller role so I am always debuffing players with heals, defenses, and sometimes even damage output.

I always use light weight because yes that does a lot of damage and sometimes vortex trap because I use super speed because it stuns the enemy a lot. I don't use whirling dervish because well for one it's vulnerable to block and with abilities like reflect pain and amazonian deflection which I might use in the future can hurt you pretty badly in cases where you are using an ability that you can't stop in the middle of it like for example with you use the Impact ability which is basically a train you can't stop it it goes fully and also whip thrash without clipping.

I spec might because Hybrid doesn't give me enough power especially when using my weapon because it doesn't build up fast enough when hitting my enemy with a weapon. Martial arts in my opinion doesn't hit as slow as I used to hit back when I was using one handed but I'm not that good with one handed. I'm too predictable and it makes me want to use my power even though it's already used up.
  6. Bust Muffin New Player

How I beat them is timing. When I see them pop reflect pain I pop a shield and stop attacking. Then I pay attention to what they’re doing, if they block I BB, if they BB I lunge, if they lunge I block. Once reflect pain is down I combo weapon CC’s into powers clipping everything for max burst damage. Works most of the time.
    • Like x 1
  7. 23rd Emperor Active Player

What if they spam a power like the shocking one? And if I block that then I get block breaked and even more damaged.
  8. FrankZappa Well-Known Player

pvp is broken and based on spam. want to be good at pvp? be the most OP power of the month then spam a good loadout and repeat.
  9. CruelMercy New Player

im a mental troll in pvp and must admit its pretty hard to match. Some things that i have trouble with tho that beat me : Atomic tanks, cheesy but you really cannot kill them most of the time. Rage dps is also troublesome sometimes if they are good just from being able to melt you just as fast if not faster. Other than that, some things you can do to help against mental players: Pop a shield and stall during reflect pain, if you attack them while shielded it will still damage you, you can do a quick stun and walk away not blocking just watching what they do to counter. Keep a damage over time ability on them at all times, if they use invisibility without a shield with a dot on them they are forced out of it so they cannot ambush pain sleep etc. If you can try and do as much damage to them right when they shield to try and break it so that you can continue to knock them out of invis as that is a huge source of the damage. Also using your shield when they invis helps not get dropped so fast. precision spec would be the best way to handle mental in pvp but not everyone enjoys that playstyle. psychic shock spam is pretty easy to deal with, hit them with weapon combos/mastery you can usually outdamage it. I guess there is no real solution to combating mental, but these are some things i notice that i lose to as mental sometimes and that i do when im playing other powers. Theres other cheesy tactics too but i really dislike those methods. Interested to know others methods of beating mental players as well.
    • Like x 1